Re: [linuxham] getting ic-7600 to tx using fldigi, debian 6 on a Dell optiplex 755

  • pfbram
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1 8:02 AM
      I've been running fine on a Dell 745.  If I recall, I saw similar symptoms, initially, with the selected sound device magically reverting itself to NONE when there was a perms issue between my user account and /dev/ttyUSB0 (in my case).

      As others already mentioned, make your user account a member of the 'dialout' group.

      You can see why, if you cd to /dev and do a 'ls -al'.  Most all of what you see there will be owned by 'root'.  Some things will have group perms of 'dialout' or 'tty'.  I made myself a member of 'tty' as well as 'dialout', just to err on the side of caution (probably not necessary).  But you should verify that the device you're working with is indeed accessible to 'dialout'.

      Whenever you make a change like this, you should logout completely (terminal session, your desktop manager, etc.) to be sure, and then log back in.

      Paul
      KD0KZE

      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 3 4:20 AM
        Thank you Ed, Geoff and Paul for your replies. Using Synaptic Package
        Manager to check whether I have hamlib,portaudio and libsamplerate
        installed, they all show as installed. What I did was grab the latest
        ones from the sites as listed in the help files and follow the
        instructions as outlined. /DEV/TTYUSB0 does not revert to 'NONE' now
        but I am still unable to key the rig. One thing I need to check is to
        plug the USB directly into the computer (I am running a KVM switch with
        2 USB ports). I will be bringing my netbook and trying it with win7
        starter and fldigi/HRD sometime later this weekend to at least verify
        that the radio USB port is able to cause the rig to be keyed.

        John