wsjt9/wspr don't run with ubunto 12.04

  • Ugo
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 23, 2013
      Hi All, good morning.
      I've a problem.
      I have installed ubuntu 12.04 on my asus laptop and now both wsjt9 and wspr don't run.
      I receive this message from the system :
      File "wsjt.py", line 53, in <module>
      Audio.gcom2.appdir=(appdir+(' '*80))[:80]
      ValueError: could not convert string to float: /home/ugo/iz3wyh/WSJT9

      Just to know, in the same pc I have another partition with ubuntu 10.04 and with this version of ubuntu both programs run fine.

      Any help and suggestion will be really appreciated.

      73, Ugo - IZ3WYH
    • Cliff Scott
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 23, 2013
        ** Reply to message from "Ugo" <ugo.depolo@...> on Tue, 23 Jul 2013
        07:16:46 -0000

        > Hi All, good morning.
        > I've a problem.
        > I have installed ubuntu 12.04 on my asus laptop and now both wsjt9 and wspr don't run.
        > I receive this message from the system :
        > File "wsjt.py", line 53, in <module>
        > Audio.gcom2.appdir=(appdir+(' '*80))[:80]
        > ValueError: could not convert string to float: /home/ugo/iz3wyh/WSJT9
        >
        > Just to know, in the same pc I have another partition with ubuntu 10.04 and
        > with this version of ubuntu both programs run fine.
        >
        > Any help and suggestion will be really appreciated.
        >
        > 73, Ugo - IZ3WYH

        Could it be a corrupted wsjt installation? Have you tried reinstalling a
        fresh copy?

        Cliff
      • Geoff McAlpin
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 23, 2013

          I ran into the same problem. I tried building WSPR from source but it still didn't run quite right. I think I'm now running the Windows version through Wine.

          Geoff, N7PGN
          Seattle, WA
          CN87tr

          On Jul 23, 2013 12:24 AM, "Ugo" <ugo.depolo@...> wrote:

          Hi All, good morning.
          I've a problem.
          I have installed ubuntu 12.04 on my asus laptop and now both wsjt9 and wspr don't run.
          I receive this message from the system :
          File "wsjt.py", line 53, in <module>
          Audio.gcom2.appdir=(appdir+(' '*80))[:80]
          ValueError: could not convert string to float: /home/ugo/iz3wyh/WSJT9

          Just to know, in the same pc I have another partition with ubuntu 10.04 and with this version of ubuntu both programs run fine.

          Any help and suggestion will be really appreciated.

          73, Ugo - IZ3WYH

        • Ing. Pavel Milanes Costa
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 23, 2013
            Me too...

            I have the same "could not convert string to float" problem with wspr
            and wsjt here...

            Using tree machines the problem still...

            Any help on this topic is appreciated... using up to date ubuntu 12.04

            73 de CO7WT

            El 23/07/13 03:16, Ugo escribió:
            > Hi All, good morning.
            > I've a problem.
            > I have installed ubuntu 12.04 on my asus laptop and now both wsjt9 and wspr don't run.
            > I receive this message from the system :
            > File "wsjt.py", line 53, in <module>
            > Audio.gcom2.appdir=(appdir+(' '*80))[:80]
            > ValueError: could not convert string to float: /home/ugo/iz3wyh/WSJT9
            >
            > Just to know, in the same pc I have another partition with ubuntu 10.04 and with this version of ubuntu both programs run fine.
            >
            > Any help and suggestion will be really appreciated.
            >
            > 73, Ugo - IZ3WYH
          • John Nogatch
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 23, 2013
              > > ValueError: could not convert string to float: /home/ugo/iz3wyh/WSJT9

              This error indicates a newer version of python on your system is
              incompatible with the version that the FORTRAN code was compiled with.

              Updated packages with wsjt version r2792 are available at
              https://launchpad.net/~jnogatch/+archive/wsjt9

              - John AC6SL
            • Ing. Pavel Milanes Costa
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 23, 2013
                Good to know my friend,

                Thanks for the tip... searching in launchpad now...

                73 de CO7WT

                El 23/07/13 11:08, John Nogatch escribió:
                >>> ValueError: could not convert string to float: /home/ugo/iz3wyh/WSJT9
                > This error indicates a newer version of python on your system is
                > incompatible with the version that the FORTRAN code was compiled with.
                >
                > Updated packages with wsjt version r2792 are available at
                > https://launchpad.net/~jnogatch/+archive/wsjt9
                >
                > - John AC6SL
              • Sergey UB9OAF
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 23, 2013
                  Hi

                  wsjt installled from this ppa on raring

                  after a minute waterfall freezes with trace in console:

                  Exception in Tkinter callback
                  Traceback (most recent call last):
                  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 1473, in __call__
                  return self.func(*args)
                  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 534, in callit
                  func(*args)
                  File "/usr/share/wsjt/WsjtMod/specjt.py", line 347, in update
                  draw.text((5,2),t0[0:5],fill=253) #Insert time label
                  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/PIL/ImageDraw.py", line 256, in text
                  ink, fill = self._getink(fill)
                  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/PIL/ImageDraw.py", line 144, in _getink
                  if self.palette and not Image.isNumberType(ink):
                  AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'isNumberType'
                  Warning: interrupt service interval 333 ms.

                  --
                  Sergey UB9OAF <ub9oaf@...>
                • John Nogatch
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 23, 2013
                    On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 9:04 AM, Sergey UB9OAF <ub9oaf@...> wrote:
                    > after a minute waterfall freezes with trace in console: ....

                    OK, I was unable to get Ubuntu 13.04 to run on my older laptop,
                    because of graphics driver problems.
                    I will look at this waterfall problem when I get Ubuntu 13.04
                    installed on my new laptop.

                    73, John AC6SL
                  • Sergey R8OSP
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 23, 2013
                      However wsjt-x works fine. Thanks a lot for your ppa

                      On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 10:13:09 -0700

                      --
                      Sergey R8OSP <ub9oaf@...>
                    • John Nogatch
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 23, 2013
                        > > > after a minute waterfall freezes with trace in console: ....

                        The problem with the wsjt waterfall freezing in ubuntu 13.04 is a
                        known bug, waiting for python-imaging to be updated:
                        https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/python-imaging/+bug/1181814

                        Also, wsjtx 1.1 is newly available at:
                        https://launchpad.net/~jnogatch/+archive/wsjtx
                        wsjtx is perhaps easier to use (vs. wsjt), but only handles JT65 and JT9 modes.

                        73, John AC6SL
                      • Sergey P
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 23, 2013
                          >Also, wsjtx 1.1 is newly available

                          I installed it yesterday

                          The program seems to work, but spectrum in dedicated window not responding to the signal.
                           However waterfall works fine

                          also in jt65 mode an error on decoding:
                          "sh: 1: kvasd: not found"
                          but the signal is decoded