Re: Data mode cables

  • Martin02
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 14 4:03 AM
      Dennis,

      I am not familiar with the cable and radio you are referring to so the following may or may not apply in your case.

      I use a Rig Blaster Nomic plugged to the mic jack on the front of a TS-570 radio without using the PTT line driven by serial cable. I use VOX.

      "For me", VOX has been the simplest and most reliable way to make my radio transmit on demand.

      I believe the parameter you will want to look at is VOX GAIN. I had to max mine out to to make it work reliably. If it still doesn't work, check wiring pin-outs and your PC is sending sufficient audio volume to the radio.

      All audio in and out of the radio is not being modified by the radio in either direction.

      I set audio from the PC volume to drive the ALC to about 70 to 80% and the output power just matches what I set the radio for while transmitting. (Typically 20% to 50% of the total available transmit power) 20 Watts works pretty good most of the time.

      YMMV. Good Luck and 73

      Luther
      KB4LHP

      --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "kb9vlp" <dennisn77@...> wrote:

      > I am trying to use this data mode cable with a Yaesu FT-100 and a laptop running Lubuntu 12.04. For whatever reason, the radio doesn't respond when trying to transmit using Fldigi, whether using the Linux or Windows versions. Are there special settings?
      >
      > Dennis - KB9VLP

    • kb9vlp
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 14 5:00 PM
        I understand what you are trying to say. I also have a Rigblaster Pro, and have done similar. I used the audio out through the Rigblaster, feeding it into the Mic and using "Vox".
        However, I had to always take the front plate off the radio when I wanted to re-attach the mic, and if I were doing CW, the radio would briefly stop transmitting if the rate was slower than say, 10 wpm. No problem is i were using PSK or other soundcard modes.
        That is why I wanted to go with this other set up.

        Dennis - KB9VLP

        --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "Martin02" <lutherp40@...> wrote:

        > Dennis,
        >
        > I am not familiar with the cable and radio you are referring to so the following may or may not apply in your case.
        >
        > I use a Rig Blaster Nomic plugged to the mic jack on the front of a TS-570 radio without using the PTT line driven by serial cable. I use VOX.
        >
        > "For me", VOX has been the simplest and most reliable way to make my radio transmit on demand.
        >
        > I believe the parameter you will want to look at is VOX GAIN. I had to max mine out to to make it work reliably. If it still doesn't work, check wiring pin-outs and your PC is sending sufficient audio volume to the radio.
        >
        > All audio in and out of the radio is not being modified by the radio in either direction.
        >
        > I set audio from the PC volume to drive the ALC to about 70 to 80% and the output power just matches what I set the radio for while transmitting. (Typically 20% to 50% of the total available transmit power) 20 Watts works pretty good most of the time.
        >
        > YMMV. Good Luck and 73
        >
        > Luther
        > KB4LHP
        >
        > --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "kb9vlp" <dennisn77@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I am trying to use this data mode cable with a Yaesu FT-100 and a laptop running Lubuntu 12.04. For whatever reason, the radio doesn't respond when trying to transmit using Fldigi, whether using the Linux or Windows versions. Are there special settings?
        > >
        > > Dennis - KB9VLP

      • kb9vlp
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 14 5:23 PM
          This cable was supposed to be compatable with the Yaesu FT-100 (My radio).
          I have tried different settings. I have tried Cat, RigCAT - RTS+12v) Hamlib (PTT via Hamlib command, RTS +12) I have not tried Flrig yet.
          I am trying to key the radio via rig control. This is a USB cable.
          And yes, I have been able to use the cable with another program - MixW. Worked fine.
          However, I wanted to use it with my computers that run Linux.
          (I have found a similar thread with another piece of equipment. I'll try those suggestions as well.

          Dennis - KB9VLP

          --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "David A. Ranch" <linuxham-fld@...> wrote:

          > Hello Dennis,
          >
          > You didn't provide enough information to get a complete answer as the
          > URL below only shows ALL Yaesu cables and not one specifically
          > supporting an FT-100
          >
          > - How are you trying to key your radio? Rig control or a dedicated
          > serial line for PTT?
          > - If CAT commands, what method? RigXML, Hamlib, Flrig?
          > - Have you been able to key up the radio using this cable via other
          > software before?
          >

          > --David
          >

          > > I am trying to use this data mode cable with a Yaesu FT-100 and a laptop running Lubuntu 12.04. For whatever reason, the radio doesn't respond when trying to transmit using Fldigi, whether using the Linux or Windows versions. Are there special settings?
          > >
          > > Dennis - KB9VLP
          > >
          > > --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "kb9vlp" <dennisn77@> wrote:
          > >> Hello,
          > >>
          > >> Has anyone had any experience with data mode cables made by radioarena? Are there any special settings for fldigi?
          > >>
          > >> This is the one i am referring to (For a Yaesu FT-100)
          > >>
          > >> http://radioarena.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=567
          > >>
          > >> 73's,
          > >> Dennis - KB9VLP

        • Ing. Pavel Milanes Costa
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 15 6:44 AM
            Hi

            Some cheap cable only have RX and TX data on it...

            This way you only have the "ppt via cat" option to PTT the rig...

            I have a cheap one of these... and it get a lot of RFI whe the Tx level
            is over 10W... (a lot of ferrite cores over the cabe have fixed this
            until Tx level of 80W)

            73

            El 13/07/13 17:47, kb9vlp escribió:
            > I am trying to use this data mode cable with a Yaesu FT-100 and a laptop running Lubuntu 12.04. For whatever reason, the radio doesn't respond when trying to transmit using Fldigi, whether using the Linux or Windows versions. Are there special settings?
            >
            > Dennis - KB9VLP
            >
            > --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "kb9vlp" <dennisn77@...> wrote:
            >> Hello,
            >>
            >> Has anyone had any experience with data mode cables made by radioarena? Are there any special settings for fldigi?
            >>
            >> This is the one i am referring to (For a Yaesu FT-100)
            >>
            >> http://radioarena.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=567
            >>
            >> 73's,
            >> Dennis - KB9VLP

          • Martin02
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 15 6:54 AM
              Dennis,

              I see what you are saying. Once you are required to to disassemble the radio to make a routine change, an alternative solution becomes more desirable.

              If you are still using VOX, there "should be" a parameter that controls the 'hang time' for how long VOX stays picked. Unfortunately, I do not know what that parameter might be on the Yeasu.

              As for making that cable you have work, I got nothing. Sorry.

              My apologies for wasting your time.

              Luther
              KB4LHP

              --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "kb9vlp" <dennisn77@...> wrote:

              > I understand what you are trying to say. I also have a Rigblaster Pro, and have done similar. I used the audio out through the Rigblaster, feeding it into the Mic and using "Vox".
              > However, I had to always take the front plate off the radio when I wanted to re-attach the mic, and if I were doing CW, the radio would briefly stop transmitting if the rate was slower than say, 10 wpm. No problem is i were using PSK or other soundcard modes.
              > That is why I wanted to go with this other set up.
              >
              > Dennis - KB9VLP

            • g8kbv
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 16 5:06 AM
                On 16 Jul 2013 at 10:26, linuxham@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                > --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "kb9vlp" <dennisn77@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > I understand what you are trying to say. I also have a Rigblaster
                > Pro, and have done similar. I used the audio out through the Rigblaster,
                > feeding it into the Mic and using "Vox".
                > > However, I had to always take the front plate off the radio when I
                > wanted to re-attach the mic, and if I were doing CW, the radio would
                > briefly stop transmitting if the rate was slower than say, 10 wpm. No
                > problem is i were using PSK or other soundcard modes.
                > > That is why I wanted to go with this other set up.
                > >
                > > Dennis - KB9VLP

                If I recall correctly...

                Fldigi (and maybe other digimode programs) can put out a PTT tone on the other channel of the
                soundcard, indipendantly of the data tone(s). There are many and plenty of simple circuits on the
                web to use that and key a radio via a "real" PTT line.

                Dave G0WBX.
              • kn6wh
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 16 6:59 AM
                  --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, g8kbvdave@... wrote:

                  > On 16 Jul 2013 at 10:26, linuxham@yahoogroups.com wrote:
                  >
                  > > --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "kb9vlp" <dennisn77@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I understand what you are trying to say. I also have a Rigblaster
                  > > Pro, and have done similar. I used the audio out through the Rigblaster,
                  > > feeding it into the Mic and using "Vox".
                  > > > However, I had to always take the front plate off the radio when I
                  > > wanted to re-attach the mic, and if I were doing CW, the radio would
                  > > briefly stop transmitting if the rate was slower than say, 10 wpm. No
                  > > problem is i were using PSK or other soundcard modes.
                  > > > That is why I wanted to go with this other set up.
                  > > >
                  > > > Dennis - KB9VLP
                  > > >

                  > If I recall correctly...
                  >
                  > Fldigi (and maybe other digimode programs) can put out a PTT tone on the other channel of the
                  > soundcard, indipendantly of the data tone(s). There are many and plenty of simple circuits on the
                  > web to use that and key a radio via a "real" PTT line.
                  >
                  > Dave G0WBX.

                  As a follow-up of Dave´s message a homebrew article : Digital Interface for FLDigi by KB9CSW can be found in QST-August 2012 pages 36-38
                  The design includes a 1000Hz tone generator to perform PTT

                  Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH
                • Geoff McAlpin
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 16 4:26 PM

                    And to follow-up on Frank's comment, there's a schematic for a right-channel PTT circuit in the online help pages for fldigi as well.

                    Geoff, N7PGN
                    Seattle, WA
                    CN87tr

                    On Jul 16, 2013 7:00 AM, "kn6wh" <gm0csz@...> wrote:

                    --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, g8kbvdave@... wrote:

                    > On 16 Jul 2013 at 10:26, linuxham@yahoogroups.com wrote:
                    >
                    > > --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "kb9vlp" <dennisn77@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > I understand what you are trying to say. I also have a Rigblaster
                    > > Pro, and have done similar. I used the audio out through the Rigblaster,
                    > > feeding it into the Mic and using "Vox".
                    > > > However, I had to always take the front plate off the radio when I
                    > > wanted to re-attach the mic, and if I were doing CW, the radio would
                    > > briefly stop transmitting if the rate was slower than say, 10 wpm. No
                    > > problem is i were using PSK or other soundcard modes.
                    > > > That is why I wanted to go with this other set up.
                    > > >
                    > > > Dennis - KB9VLP
                    > > >

                    > If I recall correctly...
                    >
                    > Fldigi (and maybe other digimode programs) can put out a PTT tone on the other channel of the
                    > soundcard, indipendantly of the data tone(s). There are many and plenty of simple circuits on the
                    > web to use that and key a radio via a "real" PTT line.
                    >
                    > Dave G0WBX.

                    As a follow-up of Dave´s message a homebrew article : Digital Interface for FLDigi by KB9CSW can be found in QST-August 2012 pages 36-38
                    The design includes a 1000Hz tone generator to perform PTT

                    Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH

                  • D W Spearing
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 17 6:26 AM
                      Hi,

                      Check out the article in the Aug 2012 issue of QST pp36. This may be of some help. NOTE; the pinout of the 4n26 is wrong.

                      ---
                      73
                      de Dave KB9CSW
                      David Wm Spearing