Re: [linuxham] Re: ubuntu and fldigi error

  • IZ1TGH Roberto Waha
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 20, 2013
      2013/6/21 Tearlach Sinclair <tearlach@...>
      sudo tar xzf $ HOME/tarballs/fldig

      No space between $ and HOME

      --
      +------------=* IZ1TGH Roberto Waha - IZ1TGH@... *=-------------+
      |          El Senyor és la meva força, el Senyor el meu cant.         |
      |       Ell m'ha estat la salvació. En Ell confío i no tinc por.      |
    • Geoff McAlpin
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 21, 2013

        The tar switches are also being done incorrectly. The tar command should be:

        sudo tar -xzf $HOME/tarballs/fldigi-3.21.3.bin.tgz

        Geoff, N7PGN
        Seattle, WA
        CN87tr

        On Jun 20, 2013 5:22 PM, "John Nogatch" <jnogatch@...> wrote:

        On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 4:33 PM, Tearlach Sinclair
        <tearlach@...> wrote:
        > ok, here is another attempt to get fldigi 3.21.72.
        > First, i typed root@tearlach-KQ495AA-ABA-a6500f:/home/tearlach# $ cd $ mkdir tarballs $cd tarballs $wget http://www.w1hkj.com/downloads/fldigi/fldigi-3.21.72.bin.tgz $ cd/usr.local $ sudo tar xzf $ HOME/tarballs/fldigi-3.21.72 bin.tgz $cd
        > and got the error
        > $: command not found

        You should not be entering the "$" characters. The README file shows
        them to indicate that you should be at the shell command prompt, but
        they are not part of the command. [
        http://www.w1hkj.com/downloads/fldigi/README-bin.html ]

        You should enter these commands, with an "Enter" after each command
        (not all commands together on 1 line):

        cd
        mkdir tarballs
        cd tarballs
        wget http://www.w1hkj.com/downloads/fldigi/fldigi-3.21.3.bin.tgz
        cd /usr/local

        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 21, 2013
          On 06/21/2013 09:25 AM, Geoff McAlpin wrote:
          > The tar switches are also being done incorrectly. The tar command should be:
          >
          > sudo tar -xzf $HOME/tarballs/fldigi-3.21.3.bin.tgz
          >
          > Geoff, N7PGN
          > Seattle, WA
          > CN87tr
          > On Jun 20, 2013 5:22 PM, "John Nogatch" <jnogatch@...> wrote:

          Actually guys, the entire syntax is wrong. Take a closer look.

          And then go the download page and re-read the README.

          Ed W3NR
        • Anthony DeStefano
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 21, 2013
            Tar doesn't need the -, it's a holdover from the original tar program that didn't really use command line switches. Also, GNU tar is smart enough to figure out when it needs to decompress data. You can just call the command as "tar xf" and it will handle decompressing gz, bz, or xz files properly.

            --
            Anthony DeStefano
            adx@...

            <tearlach@...> wrote:
            > ok, here is another attempt to get fldigi 3.21.72.
            > First, i typed root@tearlach-KQ495AA-ABA-a6500f:/home/tearlach# $ cd $ mkdir tarballs $cd tarballs $wget http://www.w1hkj.com/downloads/fldigi/fldigi-3.21.72.bin.tgz $ cd/usr.local $ sudo tar xzf $ HOME/tarballs/fldigi-3.21.72 bin.tgz $cd
            > and got the error
            > $: command not found

            You should not be entering the "$" characters. The README file shows
            them to indicate that you should be at the shell command prompt, but
            they are not part of the command. [

            You should enter these commands, with an "Enter" after each command
            (not all commands together on 1 line):

            cd
            mkdir tarballs
            cd tarballs
            cd /usr/local
            sudo tar xzf $HOME/tarballs/fldigi-3.21.3.bin.tgz
            cd

          • David
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 21, 2013
              Ubuntu users should be using Kamal's ppt to install fldigi. He keeps his repository updated to the latest www.w1hkj.com posting.

              For other flxxx applications like flrig you can visit the OpenSuse ham repository and download the latest "rpm" for your OS / CPU type. These rpm's are maintained by Walter, DL8FCL. He is also very prompt on keeping these rpm files up to date. A link to the OpenSuse repository is on this page: http://www.w1hkj.com/download.html. Look at the bottom.

              Download the rpm for the program that you want to install. To install an RPM on a Debian based (Debian, Ubuntu, Mint etc.) you will need to convert the RPM to a DEB format. This is quite easy once you have installed the conversion program, alien.

              $ sudo apt-get install alien

              I test the rpm-to-deb conversion in a separate directory

              $ cd
              $ mkdir rpm2deb
              $ cd rpm2deb

              then copy the downloaded rpm file to the rpm2deb directory. In my case for the latest flrig program which I downloaded using Firefox.

              $ mv ~/Downloads/flrig-1.3.12-1.1.src.rpm .

              then convert it (you might need to be root to do this)

              $ sudo alien -k flrig-1.3.12-1.src.rpm

              The -k switch tells alien not to bump the version number, which produces

              flrig_1.3.12-1.1_i386.deb in the same directory

              You need to change the owner from root to you. My login is "dave", so

              $ chown dave:dave *.deb

              takes care of the ownership issue.

              The next step is sublimely simple. Open up your user interface file explorer and display that directory. You should see an icon for both the rpm and the deb. Open the deb by double clicking on it. It should open with the package installer. Installation is only a button click away.

              The above conversion steps can be used for all of the flxxx apps that are on the OpenSuse repository.

              Knowing how to convert an RPM to a DEB should be in every Linux user's toolbox.

              Even more important than the RPM->DEB conversion is the tools to build from source. Building the flxxx apps from source in detailed on the fldigi wiki https://fedorahosted.org/fldigi/wiki. Spend some time learning how to build from source. It will only cost you a few hours away from the television.

              73, Dave, W1HKJ