Re: [linuxham] FLDIGI Weather Macro

  • Andrew O'Brien
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 20 5:52 PM
      I like it a lot, plain language works for me.  Why would we need it in a more technical format ?

      Andy K3UK

      On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 8:19 AM, Thomas <doverta@...> wrote:

      Now here comes a good one.

      I just realized that FLDIGI has a macro to grab weather from a specific airport. Is there a way for me to modify the information retrieved to put the information gathered into METARS format or is that written in the code??

      What a great Macro!! If only it was in the METARS rather than plain language. Its usefulness would be 10 fold.

      My goodness the more I use FLDIGI the more I have found a second love...

      Thanks fellas for a great program!!!
      Tom WD4FFN

    • Brian Morrison
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 21 7:58 AM
        On Thu, 20 Jun 2013 20:52:43 -0400
        Andrew O'Brien wrote:

        > I like it a lot, plain language works for me. Why would we need it
        > in a more technical format ?

        So long-time pilots can understand it, they've spent their whole lives
        decoding METAR and TAF in their heads :)

        --

        Brian Morrison
      • David
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 21 8:19 AM
          fldigi accesses the specified decoded METAR report using a built up URL:

          "http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/data/observations/metar/decoded/"<wxsta>".TXT"

          with your specified METAR station identifier substituted for <wxsta>

          An example of the returned html source:

          HTTP/1.0 200 OK
          Server: Apache
          Last-Modified: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 14:56:07 GMT
          ETag: "1b1836-1aa-4dfab4340771f"
          Accept-Ranges: bytes
          Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 15:05:45 GMT
          Connection: close

          Huntsville, Madison County Executive Airport, AL, United States (KMDQ) 34-51-41N 086-33-26W
          Jun 21, 2013 - 10:55 AM EDT / 2013.06.21 1455 UTC
          Wind: from the SSE (160 degrees) at 6 MPH (5 KT):0
          Visibility: 10 mile(s):0
          Sky conditions: clear
          Temperature: 77 F (25 C)
          Dew Point: 60 F (16 C)
          Relative Humidity: 57%
          Pressure (altimeter): 30.24 in. Hg (1024 hPa)
          ob: KMDQ 211455Z AUTO 16005KT 10SM CLR 25/16 A3024 RMK AO2
          cycle: 15

          The above is captured in the fldigi event log when set to the DEBUG level of reporting.

          Am I to understand that you would prefer to transmit the "ob:" line to a fellow amateur radio operator?

          73, Dave, W1HKJ