ubuntu and fldigi error

  • tearlach@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 19, 2013
      I am trying to install the latest FLDIGI from the internet. Per the instructions on the website, I opened a Terminal and entered [I]
      $ cd
      $ mkdir tarballs
      $ cd tarballs
      $ wget http://www.w1hkj.com/downloads/fldig....21.32.bin.tgz
      $ cd /usr/local
      $ sudo tar xzf $HOME/tarballs/fldigi/fldigi-3.21.32.bin.tgz
      $ cd

      then I hit "enter", and got the following error.
      root@tearlach-KQ495AA-ABA-a6500f:/home/tearlach# $cd $ mkdir tarballs $cd tarballs $wget http://www.w1hkj.com/downloads/fldig....21.72.bin.tgz $cd/usr/local $sudo tar xzf$HOME/tarballs/fldigi-3.21.72.bin.tgz $cd
      $: command not found
      root@tearlach-KQ495AA-ABA-a6500f:/home/tearlach#

      How might I correct this and get the FLDIGI version that I need?
      Thanks to all that reply!
      TFSinclair
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 19, 2013
        On 06/19/2013 05:24 PM, tearlach@... wrote:
        > I am trying to install the latest FLDIGI from the internet. Per the
        > instructions on the website, I opened a Terminal and entered [I] $
        > cd $ mkdir tarballs $ cd tarballs $ wget
        > http://www.w1hkj.com/downloads/fldig....21.32.bin.tgz $ cd
        > /usr/local $ sudo tar xzf
        > $HOME/tarballs/fldigi/fldigi-3.21.32.bin.tgz $ cd
        >
        > then I hit "enter", and got the following error.
        > root@tearlach-KQ495AA-ABA-a6500f:/home/tearlach# $cd $ mkdir tarballs
        > $cd tarballs $wget
        > http://www.w1hkj.com/downloads/fldig....21.72.bin.tgz $cd/usr/local
        > $sudo tar xzf$HOME/tarballs/fldigi-3.21.72.bin.tgz $cd $: command not
        > found root@tearlach-KQ495AA-ABA-a6500f:/home/tearlach#
        >
        > How might I correct this and get the FLDIGI version that I need?
        > Thanks to all that reply! TFSinclair

        You are trying to install fldigi that is 40 versions behind.

        Change to the current version number in the syntax 3.21.72

        Ed W3NR
      • Ernest Wagner
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 19, 2013
          The discrepancy between the 32 and 72 may be a typo on your part.....

          It appears that you forgot the -(dash) before the xzf switches unless that is also a typo. The GNU specs requires a single dash before the abbreviated switch and double-dash (--) before the expanded form of the switch:

          sudo tar -xzf $HOME/tarballs/fldigi/fldigi-3.21.72.bin.tgz

          A slightly more efficient form for using tar might be:

          $ cd ~/tarballs
          (download correct file then)
          $ sudo tar -xzf fldigi-3.21.72.bin.tgz -C /usr/local.

          The -C switch tells tar to cd to the /usr/local folder before executing the -xzf switches.

          If there are any spaces in the filepath, enclose the arguments in quotes so the system can parse them correctly.

          73,

          Ernie D / AA1AD

          On Wed, 2013-06-19 at 21:24 +0000, tearlach@... wrote:

[...]

        • Tearlach Sinclair
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 20, 2013
            ok, here is another attempt to get fldigi 3.21.72.
            First, i typed root@tearlach-KQ495AA-ABA-a6500f:/home/tearlach# $ cd $ mkdir tarballs  $cd tarballs  $wget http://www.w1hkj.com/downloads/fldigi/fldigi-3.21.72.bin.tgz  $ cd/usr.local  $ sudo tar xzf $ HOME/tarballs/fldigi-3.21.72 bin.tgz  $cd
            and got the error
            $: command not found

            Then I typed
            root@tearlach-KQ495AA-ABA-a6500f:/home/tearlach# $cd $mkdir tarballs $cd tarballs $wget http://www.w1hkj.com/downloads/fldigi/fldigi-3.21.72.bin.tgz $cd/usr/local $sudo tar xzf$HOME/tarballs/fldigi-3.21.72.bin.tgz $cd

            and got the error
            tarballs: command not found
            root@tearlach-KQ495AA-ABA-a6500f:/home/tearlach#

            So, what am I doing wrong, as I am typing in  the directions from the readme file on the W1HKJ website.  Am I missing something?  or am I just getting too dumb to get this program??
            Tearlach

            Slàinte mhor a h-uile là a chi 's nach fhaic
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 20, 2013
              On 06/20/2013 07:33 PM, Tearlach Sinclair wrote:
              > ok, here is another attempt to get fldigi 3.21.72. First, i typed
              > root@tearlach-KQ495AA-ABA-a6500f:/home/tearlach# $ cd $ mkdir
              > tarballs $cd tarballs $wget
              > http://www.w1hkj.com/downloads/fldigi/fldigi-3.21.72.bin.tgz $
              > cd/usr.local $ sudo tar xzf $ HOME/tarballs/fldigi-3.21.72 bin.tgz
              > $cd and got the error $: command not found
              >
              > Then I typed root@tearlach-KQ495AA-ABA-a6500f:/home/tearlach# $cd
              > $mkdir tarballs $cd tarballs $wget
              > http://www.w1hkj.com/downloads/fldigi/fldigi-3.21.72.bin.tgz
              > $cd/usr/local $sudo tar xzf$HOME/tarballs/fldigi-3.21.72.bin.tgz $cd
              > and got the error tarballs: command not found
              > root@tearlach-KQ495AA-ABA-a6500f:/home/tearlach#
              >
              > So, what am I doing wrong, as I am typing in the directions from the
              > readme file on the W1HKJ website. Am I missing something? or am I
              > just getting too dumb to get this program?? Tearlach
              >

              > Slàinte mhor a h-uile là a chi 's nach fhaic

              You are missing the development files.

              Plus none of this is done as root.

              Ed W3NR
            • John Nogatch
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 20, 2013
                On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 4:33 PM, Tearlach Sinclair
                <tearlach@...> wrote:
                > ok, here is another attempt to get fldigi 3.21.72.
                > First, i typed root@tearlach-KQ495AA-ABA-a6500f:/home/tearlach# $ cd $ mkdir tarballs $cd tarballs $wget http://www.w1hkj.com/downloads/fldigi/fldigi-3.21.72.bin.tgz $ cd/usr.local $ sudo tar xzf $ HOME/tarballs/fldigi-3.21.72 bin.tgz $cd
                > and got the error
                > $: command not found

                You should not be entering the "$" characters. The README file shows
                them to indicate that you should be at the shell command prompt, but
                they are not part of the command. [
                http://www.w1hkj.com/downloads/fldigi/README-bin.html ]

                You should enter these commands, with an "Enter" after each command
                (not all commands together on 1 line):

                cd
                mkdir tarballs
                cd tarballs
                wget http://www.w1hkj.com/downloads/fldigi/fldigi-3.21.3.bin.tgz
                cd /usr/local
                sudo tar xzf $HOME/tarballs/fldigi-3.21.3.bin.tgz
                cd
              • IZ1TGH Roberto Waha
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 20, 2013
                  2013/6/21 Tearlach Sinclair <tearlach@...>
                  sudo tar xzf $ HOME/tarballs/fldig

                  No space between $ and HOME

                  --
                  +------------=* IZ1TGH Roberto Waha - IZ1TGH@... *=-------------+
                  |          El Senyor és la meva força, el Senyor el meu cant.         |
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 21, 2013

                    The tar switches are also being done incorrectly. The tar command should be:

                    sudo tar -xzf $HOME/tarballs/fldigi-3.21.3.bin.tgz

                    Geoff, N7PGN
                    Seattle, WA
                    CN87tr

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 21, 2013
                      On 06/21/2013 09:25 AM, Geoff McAlpin wrote:
                      > The tar switches are also being done incorrectly. The tar command should be:
                      >
                      > sudo tar -xzf $HOME/tarballs/fldigi-3.21.3.bin.tgz
                      >
                      > Geoff, N7PGN
                      > Seattle, WA
                      > CN87tr
                      > On Jun 20, 2013 5:22 PM, "John Nogatch" <jnogatch@...> wrote:

                      Actually guys, the entire syntax is wrong. Take a closer look.

                      And then go the download page and re-read the README.

                      Ed W3NR
                    • Anthony DeStefano
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 21, 2013
                        Tar doesn't need the -, it's a holdover from the original tar program that didn't really use command line switches. Also, GNU tar is smart enough to figure out when it needs to decompress data. You can just call the command as "tar xf" and it will handle decompressing gz, bz, or xz files properly.

                        --
                        Anthony DeStefano
                        adx@...

                        <tearlach@...> wrote:
                        > ok, here is another attempt to get fldigi 3.21.72.
                        > First, i typed root@tearlach-KQ495AA-ABA-a6500f:/home/tearlach# $ cd $ mkdir tarballs $cd tarballs $wget http://www.w1hkj.com/downloads/fldigi/fldigi-3.21.72.bin.tgz $ cd/usr.local $ sudo tar xzf $ HOME/tarballs/fldigi-3.21.72 bin.tgz $cd
                        > and got the error
                        > $: command not found

                        You should not be entering the "$" characters. The README file shows
                        them to indicate that you should be at the shell command prompt, but
                        they are not part of the command. [

                        You should enter these commands, with an "Enter" after each command
                        (not all commands together on 1 line):

                        cd
                        mkdir tarballs
                        cd tarballs
                        cd /usr/local
                        sudo tar xzf $HOME/tarballs/fldigi-3.21.3.bin.tgz
                        cd

                      • David
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 21, 2013
                          Ubuntu users should be using Kamal's ppt to install fldigi. He keeps his repository updated to the latest www.w1hkj.com posting.

                          For other flxxx applications like flrig you can visit the OpenSuse ham repository and download the latest "rpm" for your OS / CPU type. These rpm's are maintained by Walter, DL8FCL. He is also very prompt on keeping these rpm files up to date. A link to the OpenSuse repository is on this page: http://www.w1hkj.com/download.html. Look at the bottom.

                          Download the rpm for the program that you want to install. To install an RPM on a Debian based (Debian, Ubuntu, Mint etc.) you will need to convert the RPM to a DEB format. This is quite easy once you have installed the conversion program, alien.

                          $ sudo apt-get install alien

                          I test the rpm-to-deb conversion in a separate directory

                          $ cd
                          $ mkdir rpm2deb
                          $ cd rpm2deb

                          then copy the downloaded rpm file to the rpm2deb directory. In my case for the latest flrig program which I downloaded using Firefox.

                          $ mv ~/Downloads/flrig-1.3.12-1.1.src.rpm .

                          then convert it (you might need to be root to do this)

                          $ sudo alien -k flrig-1.3.12-1.src.rpm

                          The -k switch tells alien not to bump the version number, which produces

                          flrig_1.3.12-1.1_i386.deb in the same directory

                          You need to change the owner from root to you. My login is "dave", so

                          $ chown dave:dave *.deb

                          takes care of the ownership issue.

                          The next step is sublimely simple. Open up your user interface file explorer and display that directory. You should see an icon for both the rpm and the deb. Open the deb by double clicking on it. It should open with the package installer. Installation is only a button click away.

                          The above conversion steps can be used for all of the flxxx apps that are on the OpenSuse repository.

                          Knowing how to convert an RPM to a DEB should be in every Linux user's toolbox.

                          Even more important than the RPM->DEB conversion is the tools to build from source. Building the flxxx apps from source in detailed on the fldigi wiki https://fedorahosted.org/fldigi/wiki. Spend some time learning how to build from source. It will only cost you a few hours away from the television.

                          73, Dave, W1HKJ