Re: IC-7410 and Ubuntu

  • ve3pcd
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 18, 2013
      Hi Ed.

      The ic-7410 did not replace anything, I just decided to start using this software. I have tried HRD before but I am Linux person.

      Here is the output you asked for:

      Bus 001 Device 006: ID 07d1:3303 D-Link System DWA-131 802.11n Wireless N Nano Adapter(rev.A1) [Realtek RTL8192SU]
      Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0bda:8187 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8187 Wireless Adapter
      Bus 002 Device 016: ID 0451:2046 Texas Instruments, Inc. TUSB2046 Hub
      Bus 002 Device 009: ID 046d:c517 Logitech, Inc. LX710 Cordless Desktop Laser
      Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
      Bus 002 Device 017: ID 08bb:2901 Texas Instruments Japan PCM2901 Audio Codec
      Bus 002 Device 018: ID 10c4:ea60 Cygnal Integrated Products, Inc. CP210x UART Bridge / myAVR mySmartUSB light

      Peter

      > On 06/18/2013 04:56 PM, ve3pcd wrote:
      > > Hello...I am new to this group hope I can get some help with my first
      > > post.
      > >
      > > I have decided to go with FLdigi on my Ubuntu 13.04 install, the
      > > problem is I just can't seem to get fldigi to work with my ic-7410
      > > radio using the direct USB cable. Do I need the CP210x USB driver and
      > > where can I find that for ubuntu?. If any can provide instructions on
      > > how to setup the ic-7410 in fldigi would be very appreciated.
      > >
      > > 73 Peter VE3PCD
      > >

      > First of all you need to be in the dialout group.
      >
      > Open a terminal and with the rig on::
      >
      > lsusb
      >
      > paste the results here.
      >
      > Next, what did the 7410 replace ?
      >
      > Ed W3NR

    • Geoff McAlpin
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 18, 2013

        What ttyUSB numbers (with descriptions) do you see when you type:

        dmesg

        You should see something like:

        <some mfg> USB Serial Device <converter> now attached to ttyUSBx (where x is a number starting at 0 to as many usb serial devices attached to your computer).

        Geoff, N7PGN
        Seattle, WA
        CN87tr

        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 18, 2013
          On 06/18/2013 06:33 PM, ve3pcd wrote:
          > Hi Ed.
          >
          > The ic-7410 did not replace anything, I just decided to start using
          > this software. I have tried HRD before but I am Linux person.

          > 10c4:ea60 Cygnal Integrated Products, Inc. CP210x UART Bridge / myAVR
          > mySmartUSB light

          Well this is telling you that the device was found and ready for use.

          Running dmesg is of no value as that is not the information you were
          looking for.

          Next trick is to look and see if you can find the command structure. The
          Icom web page would be the best place to start. What is really needed is
          the hex address.

          Ed W3NR
        • ve3pcd
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 18, 2013
            Hi Geoff,

            Here is what I see

            72.091777] usbserial: USB Serial support registered for cp210x
            [ 72.095068] cp210x 2-2.2:1.0: cp210x converter detected
            [ 72.169056] usb 2-2.2: reset full-speed USB device number 5 using ohci_hcd
            [ 72.274145] usb 2-2.2: cp210x converter now attached to ttyUSB0

            Peter

            --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Geoff McAlpin <geoff.n7pgn@...> wrote:

            > What ttyUSB numbers (with descriptions) do you see when you type:
            >
            > dmesg
            >
            > You should see something like:
            >
            > <some mfg> USB Serial Device <converter> now attached to ttyUSBx (where x
            > is a number starting at 0 to as many usb serial devices attached to your
            > computer).
            >
            > Geoff, N7PGN
            > Seattle, WA
            > CN87tr
            > On Jun 18, 2013 3:33 PM, "ve3pcd" <ve3pcd@...> wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > Hi Ed.
            > >
            > > The ic-7410 did not replace anything, I just decided to start using this
            > > software. I have tried HRD before but I am Linux person.
            > >
            > > Here is the output you asked for:
            > >
            > > Bus 001 Device 006: ID 07d1:3303 D-Link System DWA-131 802.11n Wireless N
            > > Nano Adapter(rev.A1) [Realtek RTL8192SU]
            > > Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0bda:8187 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8187
            > > Wireless Adapter
            > > Bus 002 Device 016: ID 0451:2046 Texas Instruments, Inc. TUSB2046 Hub
            > > Bus 002 Device 009: ID 046d:c517 Logitech, Inc. LX710 Cordless Desktop
            > > Laser
            > > Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
            > > Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
            > > Bus 002 Device 017: ID 08bb:2901 Texas Instruments Japan PCM2901 Audio
            > > Codec
            > > Bus 002 Device 018: ID 10c4:ea60 Cygnal Integrated Products, Inc. CP210x
            > > UART Bridge / myAVR mySmartUSB light
            > >
            > > Peter
            > >
            > > --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Ed <autek@> wrote:

            > > > First of all you need to be in the dialout group.
            > > >
            > > > Open a terminal and with the rig on::
            > > >
            > > > lsusb
            > > >
            > > > paste the results here.
            > > >
            > > > Next, what did the 7410 replace ?
            > > >
            > > > Ed W3NR

          • ve3pcd
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 18, 2013
              I have also added myself to the "dialout" group. Guess I should be using /dev/ttyUSB0 from the device list ?

              Also, should I use "RigCAT" or "Hamlib" or does it matter ?

              Peter
              ve3pcd

              > On 06/18/2013 06:33 PM, ve3pcd wrote:
              > > Hi Ed.
              > >
              > > The ic-7410 did not replace anything, I just decided to start using
              > > this software. I have tried HRD before but I am Linux person.
              >
              > > 10c4:ea60 Cygnal Integrated Products, Inc. CP210x UART Bridge / myAVR
              > > mySmartUSB light
              >
              > Well this is telling you that the device was found and ready for use.
              >
              > Running dmesg is of no value as that is not the information you were
              > looking for.
              >
              > Next trick is to look and see if you can find the command structure. The
              > Icom web page would be the best place to start. What is really needed is
              > the hex address.
              >
              > Ed W3NR

            • ve3pcd
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 18, 2013
                Ed,

                I thought all of that "command structure" stuff would have been in the "ic-7410" xml file that I am using. What specifically will I need ?

                Peter

                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 18, 2013
                  On 06/18/2013 10:25 PM, ve3pcd wrote:
                  > I have also added myself to the "dialout" group. Guess I should be
                  > using /dev/ttyUSB0 from the device list ?
                  >
                  > Also, should I use "RigCAT" or "Hamlib" or does it matter ?
                  >
                  > Peter ve3pcd

                  Yes on the device list. Use the one for rigCAT.

                  Ed
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 18, 2013
                    On 06/18/2013 10:29 PM, ve3pcd wrote:

                    > Ed,
                    >
                    > I thought all of that "command structure" stuff would have been in
                    > the "ic-7410" xml file that I am using. What specifically will I need
                    > ?
                    >
                    > Peter

                    My error, I didn't see it in the rigCAT files the 1st time around.

                    Ed W3NR
                  • Geoff McAlpin
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 18, 2013

                      Yes, use the ttyUSB0 for the port.

                      With my IC-706mk2g I can't select filters from within fldigi using hamlib. Using RigCAT I have full funtionality with the xml file. Look on the fldigi site to see if someone has created an xml file for your radio (or another in the series) and give it a try.

                      Geoff, N7PGN
                      Seattle, WA
                      CN87tr

                      On Jun 18, 2013 7:25 PM, "ve3pcd" <ve3pcd@...> wrote:

                      I have also added myself to the "dialout" group. Guess I should be using /dev/ttyUSB0 from the device list ?

                      Also, should I use "RigCAT" or "Hamlib" or does it matter ?

                      Peter
                      ve3pcd

                      > On 06/18/2013 06:33 PM, ve3pcd wrote:
                      > > Hi Ed.
                      > >
                      > > The ic-7410 did not replace anything, I just decided to start using
                      > > this software. I have tried HRD before but I am Linux person.
                      >
                      > > 10c4:ea60 Cygnal Integrated Products, Inc. CP210x UART Bridge / myAVR
                      > > mySmartUSB light
                      >
                      > Well this is telling you that the device was found and ready for use.
                      >
                      > Running dmesg is of no value as that is not the information you were
                      > looking for.
                      >
                      > Next trick is to look and see if you can find the command structure. The
                      > Icom web page would be the best place to start. What is really needed is
                      > the hex address.
                      >
                      > Ed W3NR

                    • ve3pcd
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jun 18, 2013
                        I am using a ic7410.xml file, RigCAT, /dev/tty/USB0 @ 19200 baud.

                        What else do I need to select: RTS, DTR, RTS for PTT ect ?

                        Also, do I need to do anything other than starting the software to read the Freq. from the radio if it's setup correctly ?

                        Message 11 of 20 , Jun 18, 2013
                          On 06/18/2013 11:00 PM, ve3pcd wrote:
                          > I am using a ic7410.xml file, RigCAT, /dev/tty/USB0 @ 19200 baud.
                          >
                          > What else do I need to select: RTS, DTR, RTS for PTT ect ?
                          >
                          > Also, do I need to do anything other than starting the software to
                          > read the Freq. from the radio if it's setup correctly ?
                          >
                          > Peter

                          Select RTS and DTR, one or the other should power the device. You should
                          have PTT via software, you can look in the xml with a text editor to
                          verify that is uses software PTT.

                          Ed W3NR
                        • Ernest Wagner
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jun 19, 2013
                            Peter,

                            Have you used this CP210x device in Windows, with the IC7410 because It appears that the CP210x device might be conforming to RS232/RS422/RS485 specs.  The IC7410 as do most Icoms use ICOM's proprietary Communications Interface-V (CI-V) which is TTL.

                            I bought an off-the-shelf usb-to-uart converter, then found instructions to build an rs232 to TTL (CI-V) circuit on the internet to communicate with my IC746 Pro.

                            Also, If your device does convert to TTL, you might install flrig to have some debugging ability.  flrig provides a display of sent commands and the radio's response, if any.
                            The commands of the IC7410 for setting mode and frequency are the same as those for the IC746 and may help you get the system working. Other commands probably  also correspond.  I think I read somewhere that the IC7410 is the replacement for the IC746PRO, but I may remember incorrectly.  I'm pretty sure that all similar functions will have the same command.
                            FLrig also provides a means of manually entering a command string and issuing it to the radio.

                            You can get by with setting the transceiver to IC746PRO and the CI-V address to 0x80 which is the default address of the IC7410. Set the port to /dev/ttyUSB0 then init the app. If it doesn't revert back to "NONE", it means that flrig is communicating with the usb to uart device. If you get no answer from the radio, it could be speed mismatch or excessive noise getting into the serial line.  Or it could be incorrect level translation.

                            I also suggest reducing the communication speed to 4800 or 9600 until you can get consistent communications with the radio, then up the speed to 19200.

                            I prefer using flrig to control the radio and fldigi to interact with the radio via flrig using xml-rpc.

                            73, Ernie D

                            AA1AD

                            Message 13 of 20 , Jun 19, 2013
                              On 06/19/2013 04:17 AM, Ernest Wagner wrote:
                              > Peter,
                              >
                              > Have you used this CP210x device in Windows, with the IC7410 because It
                              > appears that the CP210x device might be conforming to RS232/RS422/RS485
                              > specs. The IC7410 as do most Icoms use ICOM's proprietary
                              > Communications Interface-V (CI-V) which is TTL.
                              >
                              > I bought an off-the-shelf usb-to-uart converter, then found instructions
                              > to build an rs232 to TTL (CI-V) circuit on the internet to communicate
                              > with my IC746 Pro.
                              >
                              > Also, If your device does convert to TTL, you might install flrig to
                              > have some debugging ability. flrig provides a display of sent commands
                              > and the radio's response, if any.
                              > The commands of the IC7410 for setting mode and frequency are the same
                              > as those for the IC746 and may help you get the system working. Other
                              > commands probably also correspond. I think I read somewhere that the
                              > IC7410 is the replacement for the IC746PRO, but I may remember
                              > incorrectly. I'm pretty sure that all similar functions will have the
                              > same command.
                              > FLrig also provides a means of manually entering a command string and
                              > issuing it to the radio.
                              >
                              > You can get by with setting the transceiver to IC746PRO and the CI-V
                              > address to 0x80 which is the default address of the IC7410. Set the port
                              > to /dev/ttyUSB0 then init the app. If it doesn't revert back to "NONE",
                              > it means that flrig is communicating with the usb to uart device. If you
                              > get no answer from the radio, it could be speed mismatch or excessive
                              > noise getting into the serial line. Or it could be incorrect level
                              > translation.
                              >
                              > I also suggest reducing the communication speed to 4800 or 9600 until
                              > you can get consistent communications with the radio, then up the speed
                              > to 19200.
                              >
                              > I prefer using flrig to control the radio and fldigi to interact with
                              > the radio via flrig using xml-rpc.
                              >
                              > 73, Ernie D
                              >
                              > AA1AD
                              \

                              Thanks for the input Ernie. Once you have the hex address its rather
                              easy to modify the XML. The secret is what command set is the rig
                              following, nice to know its the 746.

                              I fully agree with using flrig, only 2 parameters to set and you should
                              be up and running.

                              Peter, follow Ernie's advice and let us know your findings.

                              Ed W3NR
                            • ve3pcd
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jun 19, 2013
                                Ed,

                                I have used this rig and computer configuration before using Windows and HRD and it worked, also I did not install the CP210x driver on Ubuntu as I did in Windows. The audio is working through the USB cable as I see the waterfall and can decode cw but still unable to control the rig.

                                Peter

                                --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Ernest Wagner <wagnered@...> wrote:

                                > Peter,
                                >
                                > Have you used this CP210x device in Windows, with the IC7410 because It
                                > appears that the CP210x device might be conforming to RS232/RS422/RS485
                                > specs. The IC7410 as do most Icoms use ICOM's proprietary
                                > Communications Interface-V (CI-V) which is TTL.
                                >
                                > I bought an off-the-shelf usb-to-uart converter, then found instructions
                                > to build an rs232 to TTL (CI-V) circuit on the internet to communicate
                                > with my IC746 Pro.
                                >
                                > Also, If your device does convert to TTL, you might install flrig to
                                > have some debugging ability. flrig provides a display of sent commands
                                > and the radio's response, if any.
                                > The commands of the IC7410 for setting mode and frequency are the same
                                > as those for the IC746 and may help you get the system working. Other
                                > commands probably also correspond. I think I read somewhere that the
                                > IC7410 is the replacement for the IC746PRO, but I may remember
                                > incorrectly. I'm pretty sure that all similar functions will have the
                                > same command.
                                > FLrig also provides a means of manually entering a command string and
                                > issuing it to the radio.
                                >
                                > You can get by with setting the transceiver to IC746PRO and the CI-V
                                > address to 0x80 which is the default address of the IC7410. Set the port
                                > to /dev/ttyUSB0 then init the app. If it doesn't revert back to "NONE",
                                > it means that flrig is communicating with the usb to uart device. If you
                                > get no answer from the radio, it could be speed mismatch or excessive
                                > noise getting into the serial line. Or it could be incorrect level
                                > translation.
                                >
                                > I also suggest reducing the communication speed to 4800 or 9600 until
                                > you can get consistent communications with the radio, then up the speed
                                > to 19200.
                                >
                                > I prefer using flrig to control the radio and fldigi to interact with
                                > the radio via flrig using xml-rpc.
                                >
                                > 73, Ernie D
                                >
                                > AA1AD
                                >

                                > On Tue, 2013-06-18 at 20:56 +0000, ve3pcd wrote:
                                >

                                > > Hello...I am new to this group hope I can get some help with my first
                                > > post.
                                > >
                                > > I have decided to go with FLdigi on my Ubuntu 13.04 install, the
                                > > problem is I just can't seem to get fldigi to work with my ic-7410
                                > > radio using the direct USB cable. Do I need the CP210x USB driver and
                                > > where can I find that for ubuntu?. If any can provide instructions on
                                > > how to setup the ic-7410 in fldigi would be very appreciated.
                                > >
                                > > 73
                                > > Peter
                                > > VE3PCD

                              • Geoff McAlpin
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jun 19, 2013

                                  Peter,

                                  I was doing a little searching today and came across this newsletter from a Canadian ARC. On page 6 (I think) there is an article about using the 7410 with fldigi. I didn't read the article so I'm not sure if it's for fldigi on Windows or Linux... If it it's for Windows, it should at least get you pointed in the right direction as far as settings.

                                  Here's the link to the newsletter:

                                  http://www.marc.on.ca/Files/NewsLetters/MARC_NL_2013_1.8.pdf

                                  Hope it helps!

                                  Geoff, N7PGN
                                  Seattle, WA
                                  CN87tr

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jun 19, 2013
                                    On 06/19/2013 09:34 AM, Geoff McAlpin wrote:
                                    > Peter,
                                    >
                                    > I was doing a little searching today and came across this newsletter from a
                                    > Canadian ARC. On page 6 (I think) there is an article about using the 7410
                                    > with fldigi. I didn't read the article so I'm not sure if it's for fldigi
                                    > on Windows or Linux... If it it's for Windows, it should at least get you
                                    > pointed in the right direction as far as settings.
                                    >
                                    > Here's the link to the newsletter:
                                    >
                                    > http://www.marc.on.ca/Files/NewsLetters/MARC_NL_2013_1.8.pdf
                                    >
                                    > Hope it helps!
                                    >
                                    > Geoff, N7PGN

                                    Thanks for the input, its a pretty well written and with detailed
                                    instructions.

                                    Ed W3NR
                                  • Ernest Wagner
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jun 19, 2013
                                      Ed,

                                      Actually, looking at the photo in the IC7410 user manual, at first glance, one could mistake it for the IC746PRO as only a few buttons are in a different position.
                                      Also, the command stream uses the same preamble and end-of-message hex characters. These may also be consistent among all Icom transceivers.
                                      I think I still prefer my IC746Pro, if only because it covers the 2 meter band and the IC7410 doesn't.

                                      Ernie D
                                      AA1AD

                                      \

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jun 19, 2013
                                        Peter,

                                        You indicate that "The audio is working through the  USB cable..."  I noticed that set mode 45 switches the USB connector between CI-V commands and RTTY decode.  The Windows driver purchased from icom might provide this capability automatically on Windows. On Linux, It may be necessary to run a separate audio cable from the ACC connector to the audio input/output of the PC and set mode 45 to CI-V.

                                        As the IC746Pro does not have a USB connector I had to use the audio from the ACC connector.

                                        73,
                                        Ernie D  AA1AD