Re: [linuxham] Puppy Linux, fldigi and old laptop

  • Marty Hartwell
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 13, 2013
      Hi

      I couldn't tell if you had installed Puppy on the hard disk
      or not, I run the latest puppy on a laptop with only 750 MB
      and it runs fine on the puppy versions of fldigi and flrig.
      My setup is that I have puppy loaded on the hard disk, and
      swap set to about 800MB.
      It could be that you are at 512MB memory but I doubt it is
      causing your system to be slow. Puppy is designed to run on
      as low as 250MB or less.

      Marty kd8bj
      On 06/12/2013 12:00 PM, Eugene Mah wrote:

      > 512MB is a pretty small memory footprint even for puppy. Trying to run
      > XP in that much memory will be even worse. A swapfile won't help too
      > much because then the system will end up thrashing the disk.
      >
      > if you can find some additional memory for the machine, even going up
      > to 1GB will help a lot.
      >
      > eugene

      > Eugene Mah, M.Sc., DABR eugenemah@... <mailto:eugenemah%40gmail.com>
      > Medical Physicist/Misplaced Canuck maheug@...
      > <mailto:maheug%40musc.edu>
      > Department of Radiology
      > Medical University of South Carolina "For I am a Bear of Very Little
      > Charleston, South Carolina Brain, and long words Bother
      > http://imablog.net/ me." Winnie the Pooh
      > http://blog.ab4ug.net/
      > PGP KeyID = 0x1F9779FD, 0x319393F4 Jabber imabug@...
      > <mailto:imabug%40imabug.net>
      > PGP keys available on request ICQ 3113529 O-
      >
      > On 06/12/2013 12:55 PM, determinism00 wrote:
      > >

      > > Dear All,
      > >
      > > I'm new to this group but I already know this topic has come up
      > > before; I've read a number of relevant posts but I'm out of time
      > > searching for a specific answer:
      > >
      > > I have an old Inspiron, 8100 laptop with 512MB ram, ATI Radeon
      > > mobile graphics 7500 integrated, CPU runs at 997MHZ.
      > >
      > > I've loaded Puppy 5.25 (?) and got my homemade interface working
      > > fairly OK but it runs very slowly; typing has a huge lag making it
      > > not so much fun to use.
      > >
      > > So I made a 512MB swap file and pointed Puppy at it; I think it's
      > > working but it made no difference in the speed of fldigi at all
      > > that I can tell.
      > >
      > > I've read that using older versions of Puppy have worked better but
      > > I am wondering if my old laptop should be running fldigi OK given
      > > my setup. If not, I'll load the older Puppy (dog?) and try that.
      > > Like so many of us hams we like to resurrect old technology and re
      > > purpose stuff; I'm no different, so I'd like to salvage my old
      > > laptop. I'm also wondering if I shouldn't just scrounge an old copy
      > > of Windows XP and load that instead?
      > >
      > > I like my old laptop b/c it has a serial port and I've already got
      > > that wired up successfully to my Kenwood TS-570D
      > >
      > > 73,
      > >
      > > Les KE7SLX

    • determinism00
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 25, 2013
        Hello,
        As an update:
        I have a similar setup with the 8100, maxed out with 512 mb ram too but sluggish even with a swap file to match. So I abandoned the newer Puppy versions and installed "Wary" and fldigi and everything else works fine (except the resolution won't adjust lower to make the fonts and icons bigger). Good enough though.

        Les

        KE7SLX