Puppy Linux, fldigi and old laptop

  • determinism00
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 12 9:55 AM
      Dear All,

      I'm new to this group but I already know this topic has come up before; I've read a number of relevant posts but I'm out of time searching for a specific answer:

      I have an old Inspiron, 8100 laptop with 512MB ram, ATI Radeon mobile graphics 7500 integrated, CPU runs at 997MHZ.

      I've loaded Puppy 5.25 (?) and got my homemade interface working fairly OK but it runs very slowly; typing has a huge lag making it not so much fun to use.

      So I made a 512MB swap file and pointed Puppy at it; I think it's working but it made no difference in the speed of fldigi at all that I can tell.

      I've read that using older versions of Puppy have worked better but I am wondering if my old laptop should be running fldigi OK given my setup. If not, I'll load the older Puppy (dog?) and try that. Like so many of us hams we like to resurrect old technology and re purpose stuff; I'm no different, so I'd like to salvage my old laptop. I'm also wondering if I shouldn't just scrounge an old copy of Windows XP and load that instead?

      I like my old laptop b/c it has a serial port and I've already got that wired up successfully to my Kenwood TS-570D

      73,

      Les
      KE7SLX
    • Eugene Mah

        512MB is a pretty small memory footprint even for puppy. Trying to run
        XP in that much memory will be even worse. A swapfile won't help too
        much because then the system will end up thrashing the disk.

        if you can find some additional memory for the machine, even going up
        to 1GB will help a lot.

        eugene

        Eugene Mah, M.Sc., DABR eugenemah@...
        Medical Physicist/Misplaced Canuck maheug@...
        Department of Radiology
        Medical University of South Carolina "For I am a Bear of Very Little
        Charleston, South Carolina Brain, and long words Bother
        http://imablog.net/ me." Winnie the Pooh
        http://blog.ab4ug.net/
        PGP KeyID = 0x1F9779FD, 0x319393F4 Jabber imabug@...
        PGP keys available on request ICQ 3113529 O-

      • qrv@kd4e.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 12 12:38 PM
          If you ask on the Puppy Linux Forum someone will direct you to
          the version which has been optimized for those resources.

          Lots of helpful people there who love to solve problems.

          David

          --

          Thanks! & 73, KD4E.com

          David Colburn - Nevils, Georgia USA

          Search with: duckduckgo.com

        • determinism00
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 12 5:09 PM
            Thanks for the replies,

            I forgot to mention, the laptop only accepts 512 MB, it's that old. Also, I did use the non-variable width fonts that came with fldigi too.

            I'll try installing the older Puppy version (hate to do that b/c I have the newer version all tweaked up already.

            I realize now there are other sites that this topic would be more appropriate on another site so I don't expect more replies (although I'm glad to get them, or emails).

            Les
            KE7SLX

            --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Eugene Mah <eugenemah@...> wrote:

            > 512MB is a pretty small memory footprint even for puppy. Trying to run
            > XP in that much memory will be even worse. A swapfile won't help too
            > much because then the system will end up thrashing the disk.
            >
            > if you can find some additional memory for the machine, even going up
            > to 1GB will help a lot.
            >
            > eugene

            > Eugene Mah, M.Sc., DABR eugenemah@...
            > Medical Physicist/Misplaced Canuck maheug@...
            > Department of Radiology
            > Medical University of South Carolina "For I am a Bear of Very Little
            > Charleston, South Carolina Brain, and long words Bother
            > http://imablog.net/ me." Winnie the Pooh
            > http://blog.ab4ug.net/
            > PGP KeyID = 0x1F9779FD, 0x319393F4 Jabber imabug@...
            > PGP keys available on request ICQ 3113529 O-
            >
            > On 06/12/2013 12:55 PM, determinism00 wrote:
            > >

            > > Dear All,
            > >
            > > I'm new to this group but I already know this topic has come up
            > > before; I've read a number of relevant posts but I'm out of time
            > > searching for a specific answer:
            > >
            > > I have an old Inspiron, 8100 laptop with 512MB ram, ATI Radeon
            > > mobile graphics 7500 integrated, CPU runs at 997MHZ.
            > >
            > > I've loaded Puppy 5.25 (?) and got my homemade interface working
            > > fairly OK but it runs very slowly; typing has a huge lag making it
            > > not so much fun to use.
            > >
            > > So I made a 512MB swap file and pointed Puppy at it; I think it's
            > > working but it made no difference in the speed of fldigi at all
            > > that I can tell.
            > >
            > > I've read that using older versions of Puppy have worked better but
            > > I am wondering if my old laptop should be running fldigi OK given
            > > my setup. If not, I'll load the older Puppy (dog?) and try that.
            > > Like so many of us hams we like to resurrect old technology and re
            > > purpose stuff; I'm no different, so I'd like to salvage my old
            > > laptop. I'm also wondering if I shouldn't just scrounge an old copy
            > > of Windows XP and load that instead?
            > >
            > > I like my old laptop b/c it has a serial port and I've already got
            > > that wired up successfully to my Kenwood TS-570D
            > >
            > > 73,
            > >
            > > Les KE7SLX

          • kb9vlp
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 12 5:34 PM
              Hello,

                 I have a Dell Inspiron 1100 with a Pentium 4 processor and 512 MB of RAM.  I am currently using Lubuntu 12.10 and it runs fine, including fldigi.
                 I have tried Puppy (via the CD) and it zips along quite nicely, so 512 MB should not really be a problem.  512 MB is the max that the Inspiron 1100 can go.

              73,

              Dennis KB9VLP

            • Rein Couperus
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 13 1:28 AM
                http://www.pskmail.org/Puppy.html

                All fldigi you need....

                Rein PA0R

                Gesendet: Mittwoch, 12. Juni 2013 um 21:38 Uhr
                Von: "qrv@..." <qrv@...>
                An: linuxham@yahoogroups.com
                Betreff: Re: [linuxham] Puppy Linux, fldigi and old laptop

                --

                Thanks! & 73, KD4E.com

                David Colburn - Nevils, Georgia USA

                Search with: duckduckgo.com

                <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                linuxham-digest@yahoogroups.com
                linuxham-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Marty Hartwell
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 13 5:33 AM
                  Hi

                  I couldn't tell if you had installed Puppy on the hard disk
                  or not, I run the latest puppy on a laptop with only 750 MB
                  and it runs fine on the puppy versions of fldigi and flrig.
                  My setup is that I have puppy loaded on the hard disk, and
                  swap set to about 800MB.
                  It could be that you are at 512MB memory but I doubt it is
                  causing your system to be slow. Puppy is designed to run on
                  as low as 250MB or less.

                  Marty kd8bj
                  On 06/12/2013 12:00 PM, Eugene Mah wrote:

                  > 512MB is a pretty small memory footprint even for puppy. Trying to run
                  > XP in that much memory will be even worse. A swapfile won't help too
                  > much because then the system will end up thrashing the disk.
                  >
                  > if you can find some additional memory for the machine, even going up
                  > to 1GB will help a lot.
                  >
                  > eugene

                  > Eugene Mah, M.Sc., DABR eugenemah@... <mailto:eugenemah%40gmail.com>
                  > Medical Physicist/Misplaced Canuck maheug@...
                  > <mailto:maheug%40musc.edu>
                  > Department of Radiology
                  > Medical University of South Carolina "For I am a Bear of Very Little
                  > Charleston, South Carolina Brain, and long words Bother
                  > http://imablog.net/ me." Winnie the Pooh
                  > http://blog.ab4ug.net/
                  > PGP KeyID = 0x1F9779FD, 0x319393F4 Jabber imabug@...
                  > <mailto:imabug%40imabug.net>
                  > PGP keys available on request ICQ 3113529 O-
                  >
                  > On 06/12/2013 12:55 PM, determinism00 wrote:
                  > >

                  > > Dear All,
                  > >
                  > > I'm new to this group but I already know this topic has come up
                  > > before; I've read a number of relevant posts but I'm out of time
                  > > searching for a specific answer:
                  > >
                  > > I have an old Inspiron, 8100 laptop with 512MB ram, ATI Radeon
                  > > mobile graphics 7500 integrated, CPU runs at 997MHZ.
                  > >
                  > > I've loaded Puppy 5.25 (?) and got my homemade interface working
                  > > fairly OK but it runs very slowly; typing has a huge lag making it
                  > > not so much fun to use.
                  > >
                  > > So I made a 512MB swap file and pointed Puppy at it; I think it's
                  > > working but it made no difference in the speed of fldigi at all
                  > > that I can tell.
                  > >
                  > > I've read that using older versions of Puppy have worked better but
                  > > I am wondering if my old laptop should be running fldigi OK given
                  > > my setup. If not, I'll load the older Puppy (dog?) and try that.
                  > > Like so many of us hams we like to resurrect old technology and re
                  > > purpose stuff; I'm no different, so I'd like to salvage my old
                  > > laptop. I'm also wondering if I shouldn't just scrounge an old copy
                  > > of Windows XP and load that instead?
                  > >
                  > > I like my old laptop b/c it has a serial port and I've already got
                  > > that wired up successfully to my Kenwood TS-570D
                  > >
                  > > 73,
                  > >
                  > > Les KE7SLX

                • determinism00
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 25 7:02 AM
                    Hello,
                    As an update:
                    I have a similar setup with the 8100, maxed out with 512 mb ram too but sluggish even with a swap file to match. So I abandoned the newer Puppy versions and installed "Wary" and fldigi and everything else works fine (except the resolution won't adjust lower to make the fonts and icons bigger). Good enough though.

                    Les

                    KE7SLX