KX3 util install on Lubunu.

  • Dave B
    Message 1 of 7 , May 17, 2013
      Hi..

      In preparation for the arrival of a new toy :)

      And before I make a right hash of things, what would be the recommended
      way to "install" this on Lubuntu?

      http://www.elecraft.com/software/KX3/KX3UtilityLINUX_1_13_4_29.tgz

      It's just a blob of files from what I can see.

      73..

      Dave G0WBX.
      Message 2 of 7 , May 17, 2013
        On 05/17/2013 06:01 AM, Dave B wrote:
        > Hi..
        >
        > In preparation for the arrival of a new toy :)
        >
        > And before I make a right hash of things, what would be the recommended
        > way to "install" this on Lubuntu?
        >
        > http://www.elecraft.com/software/KX3/KX3UtilityLINUX_1_13_4_29.tgz
        >
        > It's just a blob of files from what I can see.
        >
        > 73..
        >
        > Dave G0WBX.
        Download the file.
        cd to your home directory
        tar xzf LINUX_1_13_4_29.tgz

        you will then have a "kx3util" directory in your home directory

        cd to kx3util

        The support shared libs are in a subdirectory with a space in the name
        (tell Elecraft that is a crappy thing to do).

        rename that folder

        mv "kx3util Libs" lib

        check to be sure all is ok

        ls lib

        should give

        libRBAppearancePak.so libRBRegEx.so libRBXML.so SSLSocket.so
        libRBBrowser.so libRBShell.so RBGUIFramework.so

        Now you need to copy those libs and the executable to a place that the
        OS can access. You need to do that as root or sudoer

        sudo cp lib/* /usr/local/lib
        sudo cp kx3util /usr/local/bin

        and then tell the OS you did so

        ldconfig

        The Help subfolder is full of html and image files, including a bunch of
        files with trailing ~'s. Looks like the Elecraft folks didn't clean up
        their act before creating the tarball to distribute. You can safely
        delete all of those files that have the trailing ~. The htm files were
        also all executable (probably tarred on a Windows system). So I
        recommend doing the following:

        cd Help

        rm *~

        chmod a-x *

        Now you can open up the principal html help file "KX3Utility.htm" using
        your default browser.

        The kx3util should be accessible from the command line terminal.

        73, Dave, W1HKJ
      • Dave B
        Message 3 of 7 , May 18, 2013
          On 17 May 2013 at 22:00, linuxham@yahoogroups.com wrote:

          > Re: KX3 util install on Lubunu.
          > Posted by: "w1hkj" w1hkj@... w1hkj
          > Date: Fri May 17, 2013 5:08 am ((PDT))
          >
          > On 05/17/2013 06:01 AM, Dave B wrote:
          > > Hi..
          > >
          > > In preparation for the arrival of a new toy :)
          > >
          > > And before I make a right hash of things, what would be the
          > > recommended way to "install" this on Lubuntu?
          > >
          > > http://www.elecraft.com/software/KX3/KX3UtilityLINUX_1_13_4_29.tgz
          > >
          > > It's just a blob of files from what I can see.
          > >
          > > 73..
          > >
          > > Dave G0WBX.
          > Download the file.
          > cd to your home directory
          > tar xzf LINUX_1_13_4_29.tgz
          >
          > you will then have a "kx3util" directory in your home directory
          >
          > cd to kx3util
          >
          > The support shared libs are in a subdirectory with a space in the name
          > (tell Elecraft that is a crappy thing to do).
          >
          > rename that folder
          >
          > mv "kx3util Libs" lib
          >
          > check to be sure all is ok
          >
          > ls lib
          >
          > should give
          >
          > libRBAppearancePak.so libRBRegEx.so libRBXML.so SSLSocket.so
          > libRBBrowser.so libRBShell.so RBGUIFramework.so
          >
          > Now you need to copy those libs and the executable to a place that the
          > OS can access. You need to do that as root or sudoer
          >
          > sudo cp lib/* /usr/local/lib
          > sudo cp kx3util /usr/local/bin
          >
          > and then tell the OS you did so
          >
          > ldconfig
          >
          > The Help subfolder is full of html and image files, including a bunch
          > of files with trailing ~'s. Looks like the Elecraft folks didn't
          > clean up their act before creating the tarball to distribute. You can
          > safely delete all of those files that have the trailing ~. The htm
          > files were also all executable (probably tarred on a Windows system).
          > So I recommend doing the following:
          >
          > cd Help
          >
          > rm *~
          >
          > chmod a-x *
          >
          > Now you can open up the principal html help file "KX3Utility.htm"
          > using your default browser.
          >
          > The kx3util should be accessible from the command line terminal.
          >
          > 73, Dave, W1HKJ

          Thanks Dave.

          All understood, and yes, will poke Elecraft re the paths/names with
          spaces in. That's an uphill struggle with some people though.

          Agreed to re the old temp files (with trailing ~) A common MS "feature"
          (not a bug!) A lot of those HTML files have "Microsoft" tags in them
          too.

          I'll report back when I've done it later. But now, to visit a friend and
          try and de-infest her PC (again.... She just wont move away from IE...)

          Well, her hubby did fix my other half's car last week. Best keep them
          sweet.

          73.

          Dave G0WBX
        • Holger Schurig
          Message 4 of 7 , May 19, 2013
            rename that folder
            mv "kx3util Libs" lib

            That step isn't necessary, kx3util will find the libs without that fine.

            > sudo cp lib/* /usr/local/lib
            > sudo cp kx3util /usr/local/bin
            > ldconfig

            I personally don't do that. This will pollute my /usr/local/lib dir, and in no time I wouldn't know what file is from what externally added software. What I do instead is to write super-small helper scripts, e.g. I have a /usr/local/bin/kx3util file that looks like this:

            #!/bin/dash
            cd /usr/src/elecraft/kx3util
            exec ./kx3util

            and then make it executable. Of course you need to change the "cd" command to where you extracted the KX3UtilityLINUX_1_13_4_29.tgz  file.

            Holger, DH3HS
          • Dave B
            Message 5 of 7 , May 23, 2013
              On 20 May 2013 at 9:56, linuxham@yahoogroups.com wrote:

              > Re: KX3 util install on Lubunu.
              > Posted by: "Holger Schurig" holgerschurig@... dh3hs
              > Date: Sun May 19, 2013 1:27 pm ((PDT))
              >
              > > rename that folder
              > > mv "kx3util Libs" lib
              >
              > That step isn't necessary, kx3util will find the libs without that
              > fine.
              >

              > > sudo cp lib/* /usr/local/lib
              > > sudo cp kx3util /usr/local/bin
              > > ldconfig
              >
              > I personally don't do that. This will pollute my /usr/local/lib dir,
              > and in no time I wouldn't know what file is from what externally added
              > software. What I do instead is to write super-small helper scripts,
              > e.g. I have a /usr/local/bin/kx3util file that looks like this:
              >
              > #!/bin/dash
              > cd /usr/src/elecraft/kx3util
              > exec ./kx3util
              >
              > and then make it executable. Of course you need to change the "cd"
              > command to where you extracted the KX3UtilityLINUX_1_13_4_29.tgz
              > file.
              >

              > Holger, DH3HS

              Hi All.

              Well, I've tried both Dave's and Holger's methods now, neither result in
              a working utility. It keeps complaining about being unable to find one
              of the lib's it needs. I notice that there is a ./ in front of the file
              it's winging about, so there may be a fundamental issue in what someone
              at Elecraft produced?

              (Even starting it as root, from within the /lib folder doesn't help!)

              I'm going to ask this on the Elecraft reflector too, as I will need it
              when traveling or /p, as my "go PC" is Lubuntu based.

              In the mean time, I need to pick the system clean, so am I correct in
              assuming that it will be a slow manual process file by file?

              73.

              Dave G0WBX.
            • Andy
              Message 6 of 7 , May 23, 2013
                > It keeps complaining about being unable to find one
                >of the lib's it needs.

                And that lib is on your machine?
                Which lib does it complain about?

                Andy
                MM0FMF

              • Dave B
                Message 7 of 7 , May 23, 2013
                  On 23 May 2013 at 9:43, linuxham@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                  > Re: KX3 util install on Lubunu.
                  > Posted by: "Andy" mm0fmf@... mm0fmf
                  > Date: Thu May 23, 2013 2:43 am ((PDT))
                  >
                  > > It keeps complaining about being unable to find one
                  > >of the lib's it needs.
                  >
                  > And that lib is on your machine?
                  > Which lib does it complain about?
                  >
                  > Andy
                  > MM0FMF

                  Hi Andy.

                  Yes, all present and correct.

                  Long story short, from what I'm learning over in the Elecraft reflector,
                  it appears to be designed(?) to run from wherever it's unzipped from,
                  dodgey library pathnme with space and all. Cant try it from here, will
                  try again later when home.

                  It almost sounds like a direct recompile of the Windows program, but with
                  runtimes for Linux. Dunno for sure though. I've yet to build the rig,
                  all the parts are still in the box!..

                  73.

                  Dave G0WBX.