Re: [linuxham] Re: emails setup

  • David A. Ranch
    Message 1 of 21 , May 16, 2013
      As much as it pains me (I use and like Thunderbird too), I can't
      recommend Thunderbird to new users. It's on it's last legs so you might
      consider something else:

      Essentially, Mozilla is only doing the bare minimum for it now and no
      one should be surprised if they EOL it. What's plan B for Linux users?
      I was thinking of SylpheedClaws though migrating over all of my
      extensive TB filters would be a pain.

      --David
    • mwrenn@sbcglobal.net
      Message 2 of 21 , May 17, 2013
        Setting up Thunderbird should be no different on any OS. The interface is nearly (if not completely) identical.

        As long as you have the ISPs email info we should be able to get you up and running.

        I am currently running Fedora 18 with Thunderbird 17.0.5.

        Everything you need is in "Account Settings". You'll use the Account Actions button to add a new email account. Ensure that you know what type of account you are trying to connect to, the most common is the pop account.

        The Add Mail Account wizard should get you going, but you did mention that there were issues before.

        It would help if we knew who your email provider is. Most of the necessary email info can be found with a simple google search.

        Happy to help,

        Michael - K5WRN

        --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Richard Dowty <w7eet@...> wrote:

        > I am also using fedora. I got thunderbird loaded on the os. I have a problem with my provider. They do not know how to setup email on linux. they use the same proceedure as windows but it does not work. So I am going to have to play and guess with plug in values. Unless I can find someone that has linux that is on the same system that I am on.
        > Rich/W7EET
        >

        > ________________________________

      • gm0csz
        Message 3 of 21 , May 17, 2013
          Rich , Thunderbird (from Mozilla) has always worked for me . It even downloads messages from an ISP server I am no longer with (although I can´t of course send messages from that account).

          Another feature of Thunderbird is the subscribing to Newsgroups
          If you are interested in Newsgroups ,but your provider (ISP) does not provide that facility, you can subscribe FREELY to      news.eternal-september.org       for free access to all newsgroups.

          Frank   ,  GM0CSZ / KN6WH

          On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 9:57 PM, Richard Dowty <w7eet@...> wrote:

          I use fedora and I have evolution for email available to me. I am trying to set it up but it seems to be not communicating with my provider. I use the wizard but is there something more I need to do? or what email program is better than evolution?
          Rich/W7EET
          any idea's?

        • Richard Dowty
          Message 4 of 21 , May 17, 2013
            The settings on Thunderbird is more difficult for me. someone in the group sent me a link about thunderbird is no longer supported. I downloaded kmail and like it very much and it is much easier to use. I found out the password I gave to my provider is incorrect. So the provider changed my password. I will give them a call in the morning. Thank all of you for the support and help...
            Rich/w7eet

            Setting up Thunderbird should be no different on any OS. The interface is nearly (if not completely) identical.

            As long as you have the ISPs email info we should be able to get you up and running.

            I am currently running Fedora 18 with Thunderbird 17.0.5.

            Everything you need is in "Account Settings". You'll use the Account Actions button to add a new email account. Ensure that you know what type of account you are trying to connect to, the most common is the pop account.

            The Add Mail Account wizard should get you going, but you did mention that there were issues before.

            It would help if we knew who your email provider is. Most of the necessary email info can be found with a simple google search.

            Happy to help,

            Michael - K5WRN

            --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Richard Dowty <w7eet@...> wrote:

            > I am also using fedora. I got thunderbird loaded on the os. I have a problem with my provider. They do not know how to setup email on linux. they use the same proceedure as windows but it does not work. So I am going to have to play and guess with plug in values. Unless I can find someone that has linux that is on the same system that I am on.
            > Rich/W7EET
            >

            > ________________________________

          • David Toombs
            Message 5 of 21 , May 17, 2013
              You might find this useful?

              http://www.techradar.com/news/software/applications/best-linux-email-client-5-reviewed-and-rated-1041236

              73's de Dave, G8FXM

              On 17/05/13 12:42, Richard Dowty wrote:

              The settings on Thunderbird is more difficult for me. someone in the group sent me a link about thunderbird is no longer supported. I downloaded kmail and like it very much and it is much easier to use. I found out the password I gave to my provider is incorrect. So the provider changed my password. I will give them a call in the morning. Thank all of you for the support and help...
              Rich/w7eet

              Setting up Thunderbird should be no different on any OS. The interface is nearly (if not completely) identical.

              As long as you have the ISPs email info we should be able to get you up and running.

              I am currently running Fedora 18 with Thunderbird 17.0.5.

              Everything you need is in "Account Settings". You'll use the Account Actions button to add a new email account. Ensure that you know what type of account you are trying to connect to, the most common is the pop account.

              The Add Mail Account wizard should get you going, but you did mention that there were issues before.

              It would help if we knew who your email provider is. Most of the necessary email info can be found with a simple google search.

              Happy to help,

              Michael - K5WRN

              --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Richard Dowty <w7eet@...> wrote:

              > I am also using fedora. I got thunderbird loaded on the os. I have a problem with my provider. They do not know how to setup email on linux. they use the same proceedure as windows but it does not work. So I am going to have to play and guess with plug in values. Unless I can find someone that has linux that is on the same system that I am on.
              > Rich/W7EET
              >

              > ________________________________

            • Nigel A. Gunn G8IFF/W8IFF
              Message 6 of 21 , May 17, 2013
                On it's last legs?
                If Thunderbird now has all the features you need, what's the point in new versions every few weeks.
                They only need to fix what's broken. You cant "develop" a program for ever. There has to come a time when a product is
                complete.

                Nigel A. Gunn, 1865 El Camino Drive, Xenia, OH 45385-1115, USA. tel +1 937 825 5032
                Amateur Radio G8IFF W8IFF (was KC8NHF 9H3GN), e-mail nigel@... www http://www.ngunn.net
                Member of ARRL, GQRP #11396, QRPARCI #11644, SOC #548, Flying Pigs QRP Club International #385,
                Dayton ARA #2128, AMSAT-NA LM-1691, MKARS, GCARES, EAA382.
              • Dave - G8FXM
                Message 7 of 21 , May 17, 2013

                  Totally agree. I can't think of anything that Thunderbird can't do.

                  Just out of interest, I just installed Evolution. It looks very similar to TB.

                  It will come down to personal preference at the end of the day.

                  Message 8 of 21 , May 17, 2013
                    I completely agree. TB has all the features (and then some) I need but
                    like any application, it needs attention for security fixes as well as
                    adapting to changed dependencies (newer versions of libraries that
                    change their call structure, etc) for new distributions. I liked David
                    Toombs's URL on client comparisons and it only proves that TB is one of
                    the best clients out there. People won't be disappointed in using it
                    but if it gets EOLed, people "should" migrate off it to avoid getting
                    their computer inevitably compromised with malware enabled emails that
                    exploit newly found issues that' won't get patched. I hope that day
                    never comes but it already happened to my previous favorite client: Eudora.

                    The only gripe I have with TB is that at my scale of emails (1,000s of
                    messages) across 40+ folders, it can show anywhere from 2 to 10
                    duplicates per new email via IMAP. There are a few plugins that try to
                    address this flaw but I've tried most of them and they have
                    malfunctioned to the point that they mark *all* of the new messages as
                    duplicate and I then loose email. Not good. Lots of theories of why
                    this happens, no real fix.

                    For prospective TB users, I wouldn't worry about this though. I think
                    I'm a corner-case user aka... email pack rat.

                    --David
                    KI6ZHD
                  • Richard Dowty
                    Message 9 of 21 , May 17, 2013
                      I went back to evolution from kmail. I noticed there is a lot of plugin's. I am going to make sure to include them also. thanks again everyone.
                      Rich/W7EET

                      Message 10 of 21 , May 17, 2013
                        Hi Nigel

                        I agree with on this one. I have in my 17.0.6 the calendar add-on and that
                        makes it almost like the Windows product Outlook. I really like it.

                        Marty kd8bj
                        On 05/17/2013 08:57 AM, Nigel A. Gunn G8IFF/W8IFF wrote:

                        > On it's last legs?
                        > If Thunderbird now has all the features you need, what's the point in
                        > new versions every few weeks.
                        > They only need to fix what's broken. You cant "develop" a program for
                        > ever. There has to come a time when a product is
                        > complete.
                        >
                        > Nigel A. Gunn, 1865 El Camino Drive, Xenia, OH 45385-1115, USA. tel +1
                        > 937 825 5032
                        > Amateur Radio G8IFF W8IFF (was KC8NHF 9H3GN), e-mail nigel@...
                        > <mailto:nigel%40ngunn.net> www http://www.ngunn.net
                        > Member of ARRL, GQRP #11396, QRPARCI #11644, SOC #548, Flying Pigs QRP
                        > Club International #385,
                        > Dayton ARA #2128, AMSAT-NA LM-1691, MKARS, GCARES, EAA382.

                      • Eric Lorenz K9LGE
                        Message 11 of 21 , May 17, 2013
                          Interesting that they announced the "change" at v13, and now have gone through 4 updates since then to v17...? Doesn't look like a product on its "last legs"...:-)

                          Eric K9LGE

                          On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 4:44 PM, Marty Hartwell <mhartwe@...> wrote:
                          Hi Nigel

                          I agree with on this one. I have in my 17.0.6 the calendar add-on and that
                          makes it almost like the Windows product Outlook. I really like it.

                          Marty kd8bj
                          On 05/17/2013 08:57 AM, Nigel A. Gunn G8IFF/W8IFF wrote:

                          > On it's last legs?
                          > If Thunderbird now has all the features you need, what's the point in
                          > new versions every few weeks.
                          > They only need to fix what's broken. You cant "develop" a program for
                          > ever. There has to come a time when a product is
                          > complete.
                          >
                          > Nigel A. Gunn, 1865 El Camino Drive, Xenia, OH 45385-1115, USA. tel +1
                          > 937 825 5032
                          > Amateur Radio G8IFF W8IFF (was KC8NHF 9H3GN), e-mail nigel@...
                          > <mailto:nigel%40ngunn.net> www http://www.ngunn.net
                          > Member of ARRL, GQRP #11396, QRPARCI #11644, SOC #548, Flying Pigs QRP
                          > Club International #385,
                          > Dayton ARA #2128, AMSAT-NA LM-1691, MKARS, GCARES, EAA382.

                          <*> Your email settings:
                              Individual Email | Traditional

                          <*> To change settings online go to:
                              (Yahoo! ID required)

                          <*> To change settings via email:
                              linuxham-digest@yahoogroups.com
                              linuxham-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                          --
                          -------------
                          Eric Lorenz, K9LGE

                          Communications & Safety Lead
                          American Diabetes Association
                          Tour de Cure 2013
                          630-430-2421 cell
                        • David A. Ranch
                          Message 12 of 21 , May 17, 2013

                            Mozilla moved away from their old versioning method about 2yrs ago (no more incremental 6.1, 6.2, 6.3, etc. for minor enhancements, fixes) and now they come out with major versions for every incremental change.  The next effect is just an illusion where you have Thunderbird at version 17 and Firefox on version 21.0!

                            Skip down to the "Rapid Release" section to read up on the change and how it was generally received for say Firefox: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Firefox

                            --David

                            Message 13 of 21 , May 17, 2013
                              I got my evolution working. I had to make by trial and error with provider on the phone. It was a experience with my provider considering they are windows only.
                              Rich/W7EET