Re: [linuxham] emails setup

  • Maynard Wright
    Message 1 of 21 , May 16, 2013

      On Thursday, May 16, 2013 03:00:40 pm Ed wrote:

      > On 05/16/2013 04:57 PM, Richard Dowty wrote:

      > > I use fedora and I have evolution for email available to me. I am

      > > trying to set it up but it seems to be not communicating with my

      > > provider. I use the wizard but is there something more I need to do?

      > > or what email program is better than evolution?

      > > Rich/W7EET any idea's?

      > Probably the last email client I would use or attempt to. There are many

      > choices for a Linux user.

      > Thunderbird

      > Claws

      > Sylpheed

      > mutt

      > Balsa

      > Alpine

      > Probably missed one or two.

      > Ed W3NR

      I use kmail and have been pretty happy with it.

      73,

      Maynard

      W6PAP

    • Richard Dowty
      Message 2 of 21 , May 16, 2013
        I am also using fedora. I got thunderbird loaded on the os. I have a problem with my provider. They do not know how to setup email on linux. they use the same proceedure as windows but it does not work. So I am going to have to play and guess with plug in values. Unless I can find someone that has linux that is on the same system that I am on.
        Rich/W7EET

        Message 3 of 21 , May 16, 2013
          As much as it pains me (I use and like Thunderbird too), I can't
          recommend Thunderbird to new users. It's on it's last legs so you might
          consider something else:

          Essentially, Mozilla is only doing the bare minimum for it now and no
          one should be surprised if they EOL it. What's plan B for Linux users?
          I was thinking of SylpheedClaws though migrating over all of my
          extensive TB filters would be a pain.

          --David
        • mwrenn@sbcglobal.net
          Message 4 of 21 , May 17, 2013
            Setting up Thunderbird should be no different on any OS. The interface is nearly (if not completely) identical.

            As long as you have the ISPs email info we should be able to get you up and running.

            I am currently running Fedora 18 with Thunderbird 17.0.5.

            Everything you need is in "Account Settings". You'll use the Account Actions button to add a new email account. Ensure that you know what type of account you are trying to connect to, the most common is the pop account.

            The Add Mail Account wizard should get you going, but you did mention that there were issues before.

            It would help if we knew who your email provider is. Most of the necessary email info can be found with a simple google search.

            Happy to help,

            Michael - K5WRN

            --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Richard Dowty <w7eet@...> wrote:

            > I am also using fedora. I got thunderbird loaded on the os. I have a problem with my provider. They do not know how to setup email on linux. they use the same proceedure as windows but it does not work. So I am going to have to play and guess with plug in values. Unless I can find someone that has linux that is on the same system that I am on.
            > Rich/W7EET
            >

            > ________________________________

          • gm0csz
            Message 5 of 21 , May 17, 2013
              Rich , Thunderbird (from Mozilla) has always worked for me . It even downloads messages from an ISP server I am no longer with (although I can´t of course send messages from that account).

              Another feature of Thunderbird is the subscribing to Newsgroups
              If you are interested in Newsgroups ,but your provider (ISP) does not provide that facility, you can subscribe FREELY to      news.eternal-september.org       for free access to all newsgroups.

              Frank   ,  GM0CSZ / KN6WH

              Message 6 of 21 , May 17, 2013
                The settings on Thunderbird is more difficult for me. someone in the group sent me a link about thunderbird is no longer supported. I downloaded kmail and like it very much and it is much easier to use. I found out the password I gave to my provider is incorrect. So the provider changed my password. I will give them a call in the morning. Thank all of you for the support and help...
                Rich/w7eet

                Setting up Thunderbird should be no different on any OS. The interface is nearly (if not completely) identical.

                As long as you have the ISPs email info we should be able to get you up and running.

                I am currently running Fedora 18 with Thunderbird 17.0.5.

                Everything you need is in "Account Settings". You'll use the Account Actions button to add a new email account. Ensure that you know what type of account you are trying to connect to, the most common is the pop account.

                The Add Mail Account wizard should get you going, but you did mention that there were issues before.

                It would help if we knew who your email provider is. Most of the necessary email info can be found with a simple google search.

                Happy to help,

                Michael - K5WRN

                --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Richard Dowty <w7eet@...> wrote:

                > I am also using fedora. I got thunderbird loaded on the os. I have a problem with my provider. They do not know how to setup email on linux. they use the same proceedure as windows but it does not work. So I am going to have to play and guess with plug in values. Unless I can find someone that has linux that is on the same system that I am on.
                > Rich/W7EET
                >

                > ________________________________

              • David Toombs
                Message 7 of 21 , May 17, 2013
                  You might find this useful?

                  http://www.techradar.com/news/software/applications/best-linux-email-client-5-reviewed-and-rated-1041236

                  73's de Dave, G8FXM

                  On 17/05/13 12:42, Richard Dowty wrote:

                  The settings on Thunderbird is more difficult for me. someone in the group sent me a link about thunderbird is no longer supported. I downloaded kmail and like it very much and it is much easier to use. I found out the password I gave to my provider is incorrect. So the provider changed my password. I will give them a call in the morning. Thank all of you for the support and help...
                  Rich/w7eet

                  Setting up Thunderbird should be no different on any OS. The interface is nearly (if not completely) identical.

                  As long as you have the ISPs email info we should be able to get you up and running.

                  I am currently running Fedora 18 with Thunderbird 17.0.5.

                  Everything you need is in "Account Settings". You'll use the Account Actions button to add a new email account. Ensure that you know what type of account you are trying to connect to, the most common is the pop account.

                  The Add Mail Account wizard should get you going, but you did mention that there were issues before.

                  It would help if we knew who your email provider is. Most of the necessary email info can be found with a simple google search.

                  Happy to help,

                  Michael - K5WRN

                  --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Richard Dowty <w7eet@...> wrote:

                  > I am also using fedora. I got thunderbird loaded on the os. I have a problem with my provider. They do not know how to setup email on linux. they use the same proceedure as windows but it does not work. So I am going to have to play and guess with plug in values. Unless I can find someone that has linux that is on the same system that I am on.
                  > Rich/W7EET
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • Nigel A. Gunn G8IFF/W8IFF
                  Message 8 of 21 , May 17, 2013
                    On it's last legs?
                    If Thunderbird now has all the features you need, what's the point in new versions every few weeks.
                    They only need to fix what's broken. You cant "develop" a program for ever. There has to come a time when a product is
                    complete.

                    Nigel A. Gunn, 1865 El Camino Drive, Xenia, OH 45385-1115, USA. tel +1 937 825 5032
                    Amateur Radio G8IFF W8IFF (was KC8NHF 9H3GN), e-mail nigel@... www http://www.ngunn.net
                    Member of ARRL, GQRP #11396, QRPARCI #11644, SOC #548, Flying Pigs QRP Club International #385,
                    Dayton ARA #2128, AMSAT-NA LM-1691, MKARS, GCARES, EAA382.
                  • Dave - G8FXM
                    Message 9 of 21 , May 17, 2013

                      Totally agree. I can't think of anything that Thunderbird can't do.

                      Just out of interest, I just installed Evolution. It looks very similar to TB.

                      It will come down to personal preference at the end of the day.

                      On May 17, 2013 2:57 PM, "Nigel A. Gunn G8IFF/W8IFF" <nigel@...> wrote:

                      On it's last legs?
                      If Thunderbird now has all the features you need, what's the point in new versions every few weeks.
                      They only need to fix what's broken. You cant "develop" a program for ever. There has to come a time when a product is
                      complete.

                      Nigel A. Gunn, 1865 El Camino Drive, Xenia, OH 45385-1115, USA. tel +1 937 825 5032
                      Amateur Radio G8IFF W8IFF (was KC8NHF 9H3GN), e-mail nigel@... www http://www.ngunn.net
                      Member of ARRL, GQRP #11396, QRPARCI #11644, SOC #548, Flying Pigs QRP Club International #385,
                      Dayton ARA #2128, AMSAT-NA LM-1691, MKARS, GCARES, EAA382.

                    • David A. Ranch
                      Message 10 of 21 , May 17, 2013
                        I completely agree. TB has all the features (and then some) I need but
                        like any application, it needs attention for security fixes as well as
                        adapting to changed dependencies (newer versions of libraries that
                        change their call structure, etc) for new distributions. I liked David
                        Toombs's URL on client comparisons and it only proves that TB is one of
                        the best clients out there. People won't be disappointed in using it
                        but if it gets EOLed, people "should" migrate off it to avoid getting
                        their computer inevitably compromised with malware enabled emails that
                        exploit newly found issues that' won't get patched. I hope that day
                        never comes but it already happened to my previous favorite client: Eudora.

                        The only gripe I have with TB is that at my scale of emails (1,000s of
                        messages) across 40+ folders, it can show anywhere from 2 to 10
                        duplicates per new email via IMAP. There are a few plugins that try to
                        address this flaw but I've tried most of them and they have
                        malfunctioned to the point that they mark *all* of the new messages as
                        duplicate and I then loose email. Not good. Lots of theories of why
                        this happens, no real fix.

                        For prospective TB users, I wouldn't worry about this though. I think
                        I'm a corner-case user aka... email pack rat.

                        --David
                        KI6ZHD
                      • Richard Dowty
                        Message 11 of 21 , May 17, 2013
                          I went back to evolution from kmail. I noticed there is a lot of plugin's. I am going to make sure to include them also. thanks again everyone.
                          Rich/W7EET

                          Message 12 of 21 , May 17, 2013
                            Hi Nigel

                            I agree with on this one. I have in my 17.0.6 the calendar add-on and that
                            makes it almost like the Windows product Outlook. I really like it.

                            Marty kd8bj
                            On 05/17/2013 08:57 AM, Nigel A. Gunn G8IFF/W8IFF wrote:

                            > On it's last legs?
                            > If Thunderbird now has all the features you need, what's the point in
                            > new versions every few weeks.
                            > They only need to fix what's broken. You cant "develop" a program for
                            > ever. There has to come a time when a product is
                            > complete.
                            >
                            > Nigel A. Gunn, 1865 El Camino Drive, Xenia, OH 45385-1115, USA. tel +1
                            > 937 825 5032
                            > Amateur Radio G8IFF W8IFF (was KC8NHF 9H3GN), e-mail nigel@...
                            > <mailto:nigel%40ngunn.net> www http://www.ngunn.net
                            > Member of ARRL, GQRP #11396, QRPARCI #11644, SOC #548, Flying Pigs QRP
                            > Club International #385,
                            > Dayton ARA #2128, AMSAT-NA LM-1691, MKARS, GCARES, EAA382.

                          • Eric Lorenz K9LGE
                            Message 13 of 21 , May 17, 2013
                              Interesting that they announced the "change" at v13, and now have gone through 4 updates since then to v17...? Doesn't look like a product on its "last legs"...:-)

                              Eric K9LGE

                              On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 4:44 PM, Marty Hartwell <mhartwe@...> wrote:
                              Hi Nigel

                              I agree with on this one. I have in my 17.0.6 the calendar add-on and that
                              makes it almost like the Windows product Outlook. I really like it.

                              Marty kd8bj
                              On 05/17/2013 08:57 AM, Nigel A. Gunn G8IFF/W8IFF wrote:

                              > On it's last legs?
                              > If Thunderbird now has all the features you need, what's the point in
                              > new versions every few weeks.
                              > They only need to fix what's broken. You cant "develop" a program for
                              > ever. There has to come a time when a product is
                              > complete.
                              >
                              > Nigel A. Gunn, 1865 El Camino Drive, Xenia, OH 45385-1115, USA. tel +1
                              > 937 825 5032
                              > Amateur Radio G8IFF W8IFF (was KC8NHF 9H3GN), e-mail nigel@...
                              > <mailto:nigel%40ngunn.net> www http://www.ngunn.net
                              > Member of ARRL, GQRP #11396, QRPARCI #11644, SOC #548, Flying Pigs QRP
                              > Club International #385,
                              > Dayton ARA #2128, AMSAT-NA LM-1691, MKARS, GCARES, EAA382.

                              <*> Your email settings:
                                  Individual Email | Traditional

                              <*> To change settings online go to:
                                  (Yahoo! ID required)

                              <*> To change settings via email:
                                  linuxham-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                  linuxham-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                              --
                              -------------
                              Eric Lorenz, K9LGE

                              Communications & Safety Lead
                              American Diabetes Association
                              Tour de Cure 2013
                              630-430-2421 cell
                            • David A. Ranch
                              Message 14 of 21 , May 17, 2013

                                Mozilla moved away from their old versioning method about 2yrs ago (no more incremental 6.1, 6.2, 6.3, etc. for minor enhancements, fixes) and now they come out with major versions for every incremental change.  The next effect is just an illusion where you have Thunderbird at version 17 and Firefox on version 21.0!

                                Skip down to the "Rapid Release" section to read up on the change and how it was generally received for say Firefox: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Firefox

                                --David

                                Message 15 of 21 , May 17, 2013
                                  I got my evolution working. I had to make by trial and error with provider on the phone. It was a experience with my provider considering they are windows only.
                                  Rich/W7EET