computer freezes when Fldigi on PulseAdio

  • vito49swl
    Message 1 of 3 , May 16, 2013
      Hello, let me try to explain :-)
      At first my soundcard setup was set to "PortAudio", but a few days ago I switched it to "PulseAudio" and all went well, in fact Fldigi seemed to be more sensitive ...
      But! When I now try to play a sample sound of one of the digital modes, while FLdigi is running, the computer freezes. Well not completely, it gets so slow I almost can't move the mouse pointer. And it doesn't come out of this situation ... the only thing I can do is ctrl/alt/BS to log out and log in again.
      I switched back to "PortAudio" and everything is normal, I can play any sound sample while Fldigi is on to compare the things I hear and try to figure out what mode it is.

      I strongly believe it has something to do with my old computer (6 years of age, with only 1 GB ram) running LMDE 201303. But I do like to ask if there is somebody else who encountered the same problem? If so how did you fix it?

      Many thanks in advance.

      Vito
      vito49swl
    • Philip Webb
      Message 2 of 3 , May 16, 2013
        Hi Vito,

        I had similar symptoms a while back - took me ages to figure out what was wrong.
        In my case, it turned out that I had run out of RAM, and the swapfile didn't work, so the machine went ultra slow - as you have experienced. RAM is cheap now, so I got more RAM which solved the immediate problem.
        The reason the swapfile didn't work, was more complicated. I am running Ubuntu, which was initially installed on the second hard drive (SDB), as there was another installation on SDA, and therefore the swapfile info in fstab pointed to SDB.
        When SDA died suddenly (and permanently) SDB became SDA but the swapfile pointed to was still SDB, which now didn't exist.
        A search of the Internet showed me how to fix the problem.

        In your case I suspect that "pulseaudio" is a larger package, and you simply ran out of RAM.
        Why your swapfile didn't come to the rescue is something you will have to investigate.

        Hope this helps

        73

        Philip
        VK4HPW

        Message 3 of 3 , May 16, 2013
          Hi Philip, I do believe the 1 GB RAM is not enough any more but I also just found out I have 2 swap partitions mounted (according to fstab). Thanks for the tip pointing to swap.
          I have 2 versions of LMDE 201303 installed, MATE and Cinnamon, each on a different partition of course, but I only use the Cinnamon one. At installation both made their own swap partition and now Cinnamon uses both swaps and maybe that causes problems and is slowing down my computer.
          I need to google to find out because my knowledge of Linux is not that high :-)

          Part of fstab:
          # /dev/sda7
          UUID=050d5ba0-edb8-40ef-90ad-f6569e75d71a swap swap sw 0 0
          # /dev/sda5
          UUID=78da0a5e-5a23-4375-87d0-0d5890c87c0e swap swap sw 0 0

          All info very welcome.
          Vito