Re: [linuxham] Fldigi with the Kenwood TS-440S on a Mac

  • John Nelson
    Message 1 of 13 , May 15, 2013
      Thanks Steve, but that doesn't help me solve my issue.

      John V. Nelson
      Sent from my mobile device

      On May 15, 2013, at 1:58 PM, "Steve" <stecla1@...> wrote:

      > I dont' know about the 440 but the 570 works great on mac. that's what I'm running.
      > Steve
      >
      > On May 15, 2013, at 12:25 PM, johnvn_1969 <kd8tzc@...> wrote:
      >
      >> Has anyone gotten Fldigi to work in CAT mode on the Kenwood TS-440S... more importantly, with Mac? I'm mostly interested in making sure the frequency is passed along to the program. I tried the XML file that was on the FLDIGI download page, but it doesn't work, or I'm not starting it up properly. Am I just supposed to point the app to the XML file in Cat Control and then hit initialize or is there more to it than that?

    • Steve
      Message 2 of 13 , May 15, 2013
        John,
        In the Configuration rig control section you select the xml file.
        set the correct com port settings.
        Then save the configuration.
        Initialize rarely works for me.
        After saving the configuration I have to re-start fldigi for it to work.

        That being said what work BETTER for me is to use FLRIG to control the radio.
        and I use fldigi to send stuff to flrig.
        So I start both.
        FL RIG seems to control my 570 better than fldigi
        Steve

        On May 15, 2013, at 12:59 PM, John Nelson <kd8tzc@...> wrote:

        > Thanks Steve, but that doesn't help me solve my issue.
        >
        > John V. Nelson
        > Sent from my mobile device
        >
        > On May 15, 2013, at 1:58 PM, "Steve" <stecla1@...> wrote:
        >
        > > I dont' know about the 440 but the 570 works great on mac. that's what I'm running.
        > > Steve
        > >
        > > On May 15, 2013, at 12:25 PM, johnvn_1969 <kd8tzc@...> wrote:
        > >
        > >> Has anyone gotten Fldigi to work in CAT mode on the Kenwood TS-440S... more importantly, with Mac? I'm mostly interested in making sure the frequency is passed along to the program. I tried the XML file that was on the FLDIGI download page, but it doesn't work, or I'm not starting it up properly. Am I just supposed to point the app to the XML file in Cat Control and then hit initialize or is there more to it than that?

      • John V. Nelson
        Message 3 of 13 , May 15, 2013
          Thanks Steve… I use MacLogger DX (MLDX) for my logging and Cat Control, so I would prefer to continue to use that if possible, and I don't believe FLRig works with the TS440, so I'm not even sure that is an option.  Really all I would like to be able to get is the frequency that I am on.  It's really not that big of an issue I guess, but I know when I run a Windows machine, I will use HRD and it works like a champ with the DM780 or whatever that program is.  It just makes logging that much better and easier.  It is a pain when I exchange QSL's though the logging agencies (eQSL, LOTW, etc) and my frequencies don't line up correctly.

          John V. Nelson
          kd8tzc@...

          On May 15, 2013, at 2:32 PM, Steve <stecla1@...> wrote:

[...]

          <*> Your email settings:
             Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
             (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
             linuxham-digest@yahoogroups.com
             linuxham-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Message 4 of 13 , May 15, 2013
            On 05/15/2013 01:25 PM, johnvn_1969 wrote:
            > Has anyone gotten Fldigi to work in CAT mode on the Kenwood
            > TS-440S... more importantly, with Mac? I'm mostly interested in
            > making sure the frequency is passed along to the program. I tried
            > the XML file that was on the FLDIGI download page, but it doesn't
            > work, or I'm not starting it up properly. Am I just supposed to
            > point the app to the XML file in Cat Control and then hit initialize
            > or is there more to it than that?

            Try the Help file::

            http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp-3.21/TransceiverControl.html

            Ed W3NR
          • Steve
            Message 5 of 13 , May 15, 2013
              John,
              If you have two different systems accessing the same com port it will never work.

              When using flrig and fldigi you have one use the com port and then fldigi talks to flrig on a network port. they do not both use the com port.
              fldigi needs rig control of some nature to key and un key unless you use VOX.

              I use the integrated logging in fldigi and then export the log file when done to LOTW. fldigi logs to eqsl automatically.
              I then import directly into my personal log since fldigi and fllog ae in adif format it just cuts right over.

              Steve

              Message 6 of 13 , May 15, 2013
                Well, maybe that's the problem… I have run HRD and N1MM on my windows machine and N1MM always get's the frequency, but I don't think N1MM is trying to control the rig, but I do know the COM port is configured.

                For keying, I use the Signalink connection and that works like a champ, so I am okay there.

                Also, FLRIG is not supported with the 440, so that's not even an option… wish it was.

                John V. Nelson
                kd8tzc@...

                Message 7 of 13 , May 15, 2013
                  I've been all over the help file and found no solution, and that's why I am asking the group.

                  John V. Nelson
                  kd8tzc@...

                  On May 15, 2013, at 2:54 PM, Ed <autek@...> wrote:

                  On 05/15/2013 01:25 PM, johnvn_1969 wrote:
                  > Has anyone gotten Fldigi to work in CAT mode on the Kenwood
                  > TS-440S... more importantly, with Mac? I'm mostly interested in
                  > making sure the frequency is passed along to the program. I tried
                  > the XML file that was on the FLDIGI download page, but it doesn't
                  > work, or I'm not starting it up properly. Am I just supposed to
                  > point the app to the XML file in Cat Control and then hit initialize
                  > or is there more to it than that?

                  Try the Help file::

                  http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp-3.21/TransceiverControl.html

                  Ed W3NR

                • Dave Wright
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 15, 2013
                    John,

                    You can't have both MacLoggerDX and Fldigi connected at the same time...it is one or the other.  Shutdown MLDX, try following Steve's guide to get it started...some other tips are below:

                    Download the TS-440 XML file from here (http://www.w1hkj.com/xmls/kenwood/TS-440.xml)

                    Save it in the rig folder of the Fldigi config folders

                    Go to the CAT control section of Fldigi.  There you have several choices...select "RigCAT".  At the top of that section is a box to select "Use RigCAT"....make sure that is selected.  Then make sure you baud rate and other data matches up with what the rig is set for.  Click "Initialize" then "Save" and you should be running.

                    K3DCW
                    www.k3dcw.net

                    "Real radio bounces off the sky"

                    Message 9 of 13 , May 15, 2013
                      Thanks all. I did as you instructed and it worked. I should have known better than to have the two running at the same time. Now to write out the macros that will work for me and I should start having more fun.

                      John V. Nelson
                      Sent from my mobile device

                        Message 11 of 13 , May 16, 2013
                          On 16 May 2013 at 5:51, linuxham@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                          > Fldigi with the Kenwood TS-440S on a Mac
                          > Posted by: "johnvn_1969" kd8tzc@... johnvn_1969
                          > Date: Wed May 15, 2013 10:25 am ((PDT))
                          >
                          > Has anyone gotten Fldigi to work in CAT mode on the Kenwood TS-440S...
                          > more importantly, with Mac? I'm mostly interested in making sure the
                          > frequency is passed along to the program. I tried the XML file that
                          > was on the FLDIGI download page, but it doesn't work, or I'm not
                          > starting it up properly. Am I just supposed to point the app to the
                          > XML file in Cat Control and then hit initialize or is there more to it
                          > than that?

                          You did select (tick) the "Use RigCAT" tab checkbox didn't you? And make
                          sure all the other "Use ..." checkbox's in the other tabs are NOT
                          checked.

                          Can you communicate with the rig with an independant terminal program on
                          the same computer? (Shutdown Fldigi etc before trying that, and I
                          presume the MAC has a dumb terminal program you can use.)

                          As it's a Kenwood, try the command 'IF;' (no quotes) No need to hit the
                          return key, the radio should return it's current status imediately you
                          send the ';' character. (See the user manual to decipher all that if it
                          does.)

                          If not, check the serial comm's link state and settings. Obviously, both
                          the rig and computer need to use the same baud rate, data bits, parity
                          and stopbit settings, plus the serial connection needs to be correct
                          (computer TX to rig RX, and maybe RTS/CTS hooked up too, the rig's user
                          manual will tell you what it needs.)

                          Once you have successful communications with the rig using anything else,
                          it's time to remember those port settings, and try Fldigi again.

                          You could try using the TS-440 driver in the Hamlib tab as another
                          option. I presume that will work on a MAC.

                          73.

                          Dave G0WBX.