Re: [linuxham] set up of Flrig icon

  • Marty Hartwell
    Message 1 of 12 , May 11 8:54 AM
      Hi Dave

      Thanks and I think I do remember you telling me this on another occasion
      and thanks for the direct link.

      Marty kd8bj

      Message 2 of 12 , May 11 9:16 AM
        On 05/11/2013 11:50 AM, Marty Hartwell wrote:
        > Hi
        >
        > This may indeed be the answer, that I need to compile on my system to get
        > the icon. I guess I will look into that seems I saw in one of the help files
        > reference to getting all of the needed items loaded to build these
        > applications
        > and I do have xubuntu and it should build alright on here.
        >
        > Thanks Marty kd8bj

        >> Marty,

        Follow Dave's advice and learn to build from source. Its easier than you
        think.

        I build all of Dave's flxxx apps from source on Xubuntu 12.10.

        Message 3 of 12 , May 11 12:59 PM
          On 05/11/2013 12:14 AM, Ernest Wagner wrote:
          Marty,

          It appears that you only downloaded and installed flrig-1.3.11.bin.tgz which contains only the executable file. If you want the .desktop and icon file, I suggest you download the source tar and unpack it somewhere.  If you don't want to compile/install flrig from the source, you can copy the flrig.desktop file  from flrig.1.3.11/data/flrig.desktop to your home desktop and flrig.xpm to /usr/local/share/pixmaps/.

          You might have to make the desktop executable for the icon to display on the launcher. At least that is what I had to do on my system.

          I think that begs the question: Why isn't the flrig binary packaged similarly to the fldigi binary package which includes the launcher, launcher icon and man pages along with the executable?
          Will be in the next distribution.  Remember that the binary may still not run correctly on your distribution depending on the shared libraries on your system versus those on the build platform.

          Building from source is always your best bet.

          Regards and 73

          Ernie D, AA1AD in the great Northwest

          73, Dave, W1HKJ, in the greater Southeast :-)

        • Marty Hartwell
          Message 4 of 12 , May 11 6:56 PM
            Hi Ed

            I just set up a build environment on this system using Dave's fine
            help document. I installed the prerequisites and commenced and completed
            a build of first FLRIG, and then FLDIGI latest version.
            And yes it is easier than I expected. Reminds me of doing builds on an
            old Unix system seems like a lifetime ago, maybe not that long but at
            least half a lifetime anyway.

            Bottom line I now have my icons, so I am happy.

            Marty kd8bj

            Message 5 of 12 , May 11 7:07 PM
              On 05/11/2013 08:56 PM, Marty Hartwell wrote:
              > Hi Ed
              >
              > I just set up a build environment on this system using Dave's fine
              > help document. I installed the prerequisites and commenced and completed
              > a build of first FLRIG, and then FLDIGI latest version.
              > And yes it is easier than I expected. Reminds me of doing builds on an
              > old Unix system seems like a lifetime ago, maybe not that long but at
              > least half a lifetime anyway.
              >
              > Bottom line I now have my icons, so I am happy.
              >
              > Marty kd8bj
              Congratulations Marty. The best news is that you can now mentor someone
              else who may be reluctant to jump into the pool.