not much digital on amateur frequencies ?

  • vito49swl
    Message 1 of 6 , May 2 12:33 AM
      Hello, many years ago when I was a full equipped SWL (15 years ago) there were a lot of digital movements on the amateur bands. I remember days of many many packet and RTTY connections, even sitorB ... That seems gone nowadays, well i didn't find one packet transmission lately.

      I must say that in the other bands between amateur and broadcast where utility is located there is also not much digital, compared to the years before.

      Is this correct, is there a tendency to drop digital connections in amateur band? If not, why can't I find them ? :-)
      (I use Fldigi to decode)

      Sorry for my bad English.

      73

      Vito
      vito49swl
    • Geoff McAlpin
      Message 2 of 6 , May 2 6:23 AM

        Quite the contrary, there it's a bunch of digital on the ham bands... It just depends on where you're looking.

        RTTY is still there and PSK31 is one of the more popular modes now I believe. You may find Olivia just up from the PSK31 activity. There is also a bunch of activity doing weak signal digi modes, such as JT65 and WSPR, but fldigi won't decode those ones.

        Digital is very much alive in amateur radio.

        73,
        Geoff, N7PGN
        Seattle, WA
        CN87tr

        On May 2, 2013 12:33 AM, "vito49swl" <vito.linux@...> wrote:

        Hello, many years ago when I was a full equipped SWL (15 years ago) there were a lot of digital movements on the amateur bands. I remember days of many many packet and RTTY connections, even sitorB ... That seems gone nowadays, well i didn't find one packet transmission lately.

        I must say that in the other bands between amateur and broadcast where utility is located there is also not much digital, compared to the years before.

        Is this correct, is there a tendency to drop digital connections in amateur band? If not, why can't I find them ? :-)
        (I use Fldigi to decode)

        Sorry for my bad English.

        73

        Vito
        vito49swl

      • John Williams
        Message 3 of 6 , May 2 6:41 AM
          Spend some time between 14.070 and 14.080 Mhz

          John

          --

          John Williams

          KE5SSH - ham since 2007
          WQKA523 - GMRS for family use on the farm

        • vito49swl
          Message 4 of 6 , May 3 12:07 AM
            Hello John, indeed I found several BPSK31 transmissions at that spot. It was the very first time I recognized the mode and was able to follow the messages.
            Thanks for the info.

            --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, John Williams <KE5SSH@...> wrote:

            > Spend some time between 14.070 and 14.080 Mhz
            >
            > John
            > On 5/2/2013 2:33 AM, vito49swl wrote:
            > >
            > > Hello, many years ago when I was a full equipped SWL (15 years ago)
            > > there were a lot of digital movements on the amateur bands. I remember
            > > days of many many packet and RTTY connections, even sitorB ... That
            > > seems gone nowadays, well i didn't find one packet transmission lately.
            > >
            > > I must say that in the other bands between amateur and broadcast where
            > > utility is located there is also not much digital, compared to the
            > > years before.
            > >
            > > Is this correct, is there a tendency to drop digital connections in
            > > amateur band? If not, why can't I find them ? :-)
            > > (I use Fldigi to decode)
            > >
            > > Sorry for my bad English.
            > >
            > > 73
            > >
            > > Vito
            > > vito49swl
            > >

            > --
            >
            > John Williams
            >
            > KE5SSH - ham since 2007
            > WQKA523 - GMRS for family use on the farm

          • Ian Wade G3NRW
            Message 5 of 6 , May 3 12:26 AM
              From: vito49swl <vito.linux@...>
              Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 Time: 07:33:19

              > If not, why can't I find them ? :-)

              Hi Vito

              Take a look at my Band Utilization Charts. You will see a lot of digital
              activity here:

              The 30m Band Utilization Chart:

              The UK 60m Band Utilization Chart:
              http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wadei/UK_60m_band_utilization.htm

              The 160m Band Utilization Chart:
              http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wadei/160m_band_utilization.htm

              Ian, G3NRW
            • vito49swl
              Message 6 of 6 , May 3 12:39 AM
                > Take a look at my Band Utilization Charts. You will see a lot of digital
                > activity here:

                Thanks Ian, I will study the digital modes I find there.

                73
                Vito
                vito49swl