Re: Multiple Signal links, rigs w/Fldigi on one OSX computer

  • davidflad@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30, 2013
      Chris,

      I'll bite, although I don't recognize OSS. I see that my fldigi has an option to select it and then select a device, but it;'s greyed out. I'm assuming I need a package from an open source repository.

      I poked around a bit and it looked like the newest OSS package out there has a 2007 date stamp. Any pointers would be appreciated.

      Dave, KB3YCK

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 30, 2013
        On 04/30/2013 07:05 AM, davidflad@... wrote:
        > I have a mac mini in the shack, and I have two rigs, one for HF and one for VHF/UHF work. Both are setup with USB Signal Links. I can successfully operate a single FLDIGI instance with each radio, but with one radio/Signal-link combination turned on at a time.
        >
        > For FLDIGI, the audio is set as PortAudio using device USB AUDIO CODEC.
        >
        > I would like to be able to have two fldigi instances operational at the same time, one monitoring HF and one monitoring VHF/UHF on the same computer. However, I cannot figure out how to uniquely identify each Signal-link to make that possible.
        >
        > I am using the stock downloaded DMG for MacOSX (i.e. not built from source), and running on OS X 10.8.3 (12D78).
        >
        > Is what I want even do-able with/without building fldigi from source?
        >
        > Dave, KB3YCK

        Sublimely easy on Unix / Linux
        Reasonably easy on Windows
        A PIA on OS X because of the way that the OS manages the application
        executable. I guess that the OS X system developers simply could never
        envision anyone wanting to run multiple instances of a the same
        application with different parameters.

        Open the Terminal Window and look for your current fldigi executable.
        Should be some where like

        /Applications/fldigi-3.21.70.app/Contents/MacOS/fldigi

        then from that terminal window try running fldigi as:

        $ cd
        $ /Applications/fldigi-3.21.70.app/Contents/MacOS/fldigi --config-dir
        fldigi.hf

        configure for the HF radio / interface. save the configuration

        Exit fldigi

        then

        $ /Applications/fldigi-3.21.70.app/Contents/MacOS/fldigi --config-dir
        fldigi.vhf

        repeat the configuration, save and exit

        You should now have a fldigi.hf and a fldigi.vhf folder in your home folder

        Create a shell script either using a plain text editor or the cat
        command. If cat then

        $ cat >hf-vhf.sh
        /Applications/fldigi-3.21.70.app/Contents/MacOS/fldigi --config-dir
        fldigi.hf &
        /Applications/fldigi-3.21.70.app/Contents/MacOS/fldigi --config-dir
        fldigi.vhf

        press control-C to exit cat

        $ cat hf-vhf.sh (to view the new shell script)

        then

        $ chmod a+x hf-vhf.sh

        then

        $ ./hf-vhf.sh

        and you have two independently running fldigi's (move the visible one
        if only one can be seen).

        Your hf-vhf.sh will have to be modified as you install newer versions of
        fldigi.

        An OS X guru might have a better solution.

        73, Dave, W1HKJ
      • Dick Kriss