Re: [linuxham] mfsk freezes on sending / receiving pic 2nd attempt to fix

    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 25, 2013
      On 04/25/2013 02:52 PM, John Wiener wrote:
      > OK. tried to solve this a few months ago but kinda gave up.
      >
      > Here's the deal I am on OSX 10.8.3 and FLDigi 3.21.70
      >
      > Whenever I receive or send an image on MFSK, FLDigi freezes, I must force quit and restart.
      >
      > I look at the event log and find one error (wish I could copy and paste)
      > "open_tty: Could not open "dev/ptt": no such file or directory"
      >
      > I am not a programmer by any stretch. Is this clue helpful?
      >
      > I don't know how to do a screenshot but in config, Hardware PTT I have
      >
      > PTT tone on right audio channel not toggled
      > use separate serial port PTT is toggled
      > Device is /dev/ptt
      > Use uHRouter PTT is not toggled
      > PTT delays valid for all CAT/PTT types both listed as zero
      >
      > I am using Signalink USB
      > on my iMac Audio
      Are you using the PTT line from the SignaLink-USB ? If you are then you
      should have have any other PTT selected in fldigi. The PTT function is
      provided by the SignaLink-USB.

      Dave
    • John Wiener
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 26, 2013
        Hi Dave

        I reomoved all toggled items in the Hardware PTT drop down window
        result is the same...at the end of sending the pic, fldigi goes to receive and the waterfall freezes...must reboot.
        Event log shows no errors "E"

        What EXACTLY should I have in the Hardware PTT window? Is this the source of the problem?

        Thanks

        John
        AB8O

        > On 04/25/2013 02:52 PM, John Wiener wrote:
        > > OK. tried to solve this a few months ago but kinda gave up.
        > >
        > > Here's the deal I am on OSX 10.8.3 and FLDigi 3.21.70
        > >
        > > Whenever I receive or send an image on MFSK, FLDigi freezes, I must force quit and restart.
        > >
        > > I look at the event log and find one error (wish I could copy and paste)
        > > "open_tty: Could not open "dev/ptt": no such file or directory"
        > >
        > > I am not a programmer by any stretch. Is this clue helpful?
        > >
        > > I don't know how to do a screenshot but in config, Hardware PTT I have
        > >
        > > PTT tone on right audio channel not toggled
        > > use separate serial port PTT is toggled
        > > Device is /dev/ptt
        > > Use uHRouter PTT is not toggled
        > > PTT delays valid for all CAT/PTT types both listed as zero
        > >
        > > I am using Signalink USB
        > > on my iMac Audio
        > Are you using the PTT line from the SignaLink-USB ? If you are then you
        > should have have any other PTT selected in fldigi. The PTT function is
        > provided by the SignaLink-USB.
        >
        > Dave

      • Robert Stiles
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 26, 2013
          John,

          Did you try changing the /dev/ptt to /dev/null    ?
          Under rig control->Hardware->Device(TextField selector), It's not in the list must be hand entered.

          This is based on the following information

          "open_tty: Could not open "dev/ptt": no such file or directory"

          May not fix your problem with freezing at all.

          In Fldigi:

          Open the Event log window, set the Log source slider all the way to the right (debug), scroll to the bottom, move the window to a place you can see the bottom of the log window. tx mfsk16 with image. See if it is logging something,  but never writes to a file because of the hang.

          You could use MFSK32 and try it again. Just to see if we can find some difference, helps too narrow the search.

          There is on more drastic method, install the developer system and run FLDIGI from inside a debugger.  That's a long drawn out way of doing it especially if you not a programmer (not for the faint of heart).

          The problem seem to be associated  with your particular system, I'm running MacOSX 10.8.3 / FLDIGI 3.2.70 on a 2008 PowerMac Pro, I don't see the issue at all.

          Without some information it's would very difficult to fix your problem.

          Robert

          ________________________________
          I reomoved all toggled items in the Hardware PTT drop down window
          result is the same...at the end of sending the pic, fldigi goes to receive and the waterfall freezes...must reboot.
          Event log shows no errors "E"

          What EXACTLY should I have in the Hardware PTT window?  Is this the source of the problem?

          Thanks

          John
          AB8O

          > On 04/25/2013 02:52 PM, John Wiener wrote:
          > > OK.  tried to solve this a few months ago but kinda gave up.
          > >
          > > Here's the deal   I am on OSX 10.8.3  and FLDigi 3.21.70
          > >
          > > Whenever I receive or send an image on MFSK, FLDigi freezes, I must force quit and restart.
          > >
          > > I look at the event log and find one error (wish I could copy and paste)
          > > "open_tty: Could not open "dev/ptt": no such file or directory"
          > >
          > > I am not a programmer by any stretch.  Is this clue helpful?
          > >
          > > I don't know how to do a screenshot but in config, Hardware PTT I have
          > >
          > > PTT tone on right audio channel  not toggled
          > > use separate serial port PTT is toggled
          > > Device is /dev/ptt
          > > Use uHRouter PTT is not toggled
          > > PTT delays valid for all CAT/PTT types both listed as zero
          > >
          > > I am using Signalink USB
          > > on my iMac Audio
          > Are you using the PTT line from the SignaLink-USB ?  If you are then you
          > should have have any other PTT selected in fldigi.  The PTT function is
          > provided by the SignaLink-USB.
          >
          > Dave

        • John Wiener
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 29, 2013
            I just posted the event log to the files section. All help much appreciated

            John
            AB8O

            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 29, 2013
              John,

              I reviewed the status_log and there is nothing contained in it that would indicate why you having issues with the MFSK pic transmission.

              Suggest you try the following:

              Open the Fldigi configuration dialog to the Audio | Devices tab and select "File I/O only"

              1. Select the MFSK16 mode.
              2. Select "File | Audio | Tx generate" menu item and name the file "testpic.wav" in your .fldigi folder.
              3. Right click on the transmit text panel and select "Send image..."
              4. Load the image that is giving you problems using the "Load" button on the image dialog.
              5. Select "X1" if not already enabled.
              6. Press the Transmit button on the image dialog.
              7. Allow the entire image to transmitted (written to the wav file).
              8. At the conclusion of the transmission toggle the T/R button to turn off the transmit.
              9. Deselect the "File | Audio | Tx generate" menu item.
              Report whether or not you are successful with the above items.  We can then continue with additional testing.  The above process executes flawlessly on a G4 mini-mac.  The image is a 204x206 pixel png file.

              Dave, W1HKJ

              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 30, 2013

                Followed your directions. I/O only (port/audio not toggled)

                result same...waterfall freezes and controls inoperative at end of image (don't have a chance to use T/R)

                John

                I am using Signalink USB audio cable goes to audio in computer spkr connected to powered speakers USB going directly to computer (not thru a hub) Nothing connected to Monitor on signalink

                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 30, 2013
                  John,

                  I will send you an email off list with directions on uploading the image
                  file to an ftp location on the www.w1hkj.com web site.

                  In the meantime please do the following.

                  Create a very small image file, preferably less than 2 K in size.

                  Repeat the tests sequence. When the waterfall freezes try pressing the
                  Esc key twice (like a mouse double click). Let me know if that unlocks
                  the waterfall.

                  Dave
                • John Wiener
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 4, 2013
                    double clicking Esc does not unlock the waterfall

                    > John,
                    >
                    > I will send you an email off list with directions on uploading the image
                    > file to an ftp location on the www.w1hkj.com web site.
                    >
                    > In the meantime please do the following.
                    >
                    > Create a very small image file, preferably less than 2 K in size.
                    >
                    > Repeat the tests sequence. When the waterfall freezes try pressing the
                    > Esc key twice (like a mouse double click). Let me know if that unlocks
                    > the waterfall.
                    >
                    > Dave

                  • John Wiener
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 9, 2013
                      Thanks to Dave for helping me off list

                      Still haven't solved the puzzle. Others using iMac and Fldigi with the same versions of each do NOT have this problem.
                      This is really bugging me.
                      I have set fldigi to default settings. I checked the jumpers on the Signalink USB. All OK.

                      So, on MFSK, fldigi freezes at the end of image sent (or received).

                      It seems the PTT is activated at the end of the image sent (or received) inappropriately...
                      The waterfall freezes, followed by xcvr going to receive (less than qtr second) FLDigi not responsive...a few items intially work then nothing. eg, you can close the image window use pulldown menus but they won't do more than open.

                      On Rig Control Configuration, I have "Use separate serial port PTT" and blanked the device window.

                      Dave says it's not in the software.

                      Any ideas on settings...on fldigi? on iMac?

                      John
                      AB8O

                      Message 10 of 15 , May 9, 2013
                        On 05/09/2013 03:12 PM, John Wiener wrote:

                        > On Rig Control Configuration, I have "Use separate serial port PTT"
                        > and blanked the device window.

                        If you are trying to use this, then there is your problem.

                        Ed W3NR
                      • Robert Stiles
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 9, 2013
                          Try creating another user account and try again.

                          Or you can boot into safe mode and then try again.

                          Select another audio in/out, something other then SignaLink

                          Maybe there is a convict with some other software

                          Robert

                          Still haven't solved the puzzle. Others using iMac and Fldigi with the same versions of each do NOT have this problem.
                          This is really bugging me.
                          I have set fldigi to default settings. I checked the jumpers on the Signalink USB. All OK.

                          So, on MFSK, fldigi freezes at the end of image sent (or received).

                          It seems the PTT is activated at the end of the image sent (or received) inappropriately...
                          The waterfall freezes, followed by xcvr going to receive (less than qtr second) FLDigi not responsive...a few items intially work then nothing. eg, you can close the image window use pulldown menus but they won't do more than open.

                          On Rig Control Configuration, I have "Use separate serial port PTT" and blanked the device window.

                          Dave says it's not in the software.

                          Any ideas on settings...on fldigi? on iMac?

                          John
                          AB8O

                          --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "John Wiener" <jawod@...> wrote:

                          > double clicking Esc does not unlock the waterfall
                          >

                          > --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, w1hkj <w1hkj@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > John,
                          > >
                          > > I will send you an email off list with directions on uploading the image
                          > > file to an ftp location on the www.w1hkj.com web site.
                          > >
                          > > In the meantime please do the following.
                          > >
                          > > Create a very small image file, preferably less than 2 K in size.
                          > >
                          > > Repeat the tests sequence. When the waterfall freezes try pressing the
                          > > Esc key twice (like a mouse double click). Let me know if that unlocks
                          > > the waterfall.
                          > >
                          > > Dave

                        • John Wiener
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 9, 2013
                            problem exists with separate PTT toggled on or off

                            > On 05/09/2013 03:12 PM, John Wiener wrote:
                            >
                            > > On Rig Control Configuration, I have "Use separate serial port PTT"
                            > > and blanked the device window.
                            >
                            > If you are trying to use this, then there is your problem.
                            >
                            > Ed W3NR

                          • John Wiener
                            Message 13 of 15 , May 11, 2013
                              will try to load fldigi on a mac laptop but it is an older mac version
                              ... so it won't be apples-to-apples hi

                              in the meantime...

                              here are directions from Signalink:

                              Do I select a serial port when configuring my communications program -

                              Some communications programs will have a COM Port selection for PTT (Push To Talk), and some will also have COM Port selection for radio control ("CAT" control). The SignaLink does NOT use a serial port for PTT control, so your communications program should be set to "None", "COM0", "External VOX", or a similar setting to indicate that a serial port is not used. Some newer programs have a "SignaLink" setting that should be used if available

                              So what do I put in the rig control box? device box defaults to
                              "/dev/ptt"

                              I can clear the box and save it...then I tried mfsk pic...same result
                              If I close and re-open fldigi, the "/dev/ptt" is again in the device box.

                              I have tried with RigCAT set on or off using Elecraft K2 beta in hamlib

                              same results in all cases.

                              on the mac..

                              sound output is on internal speakers (tried it with USB Audio CODEC also)
                              sound input is USB Audio CODEC
                              sound effects thru selected output device changed to thru internal speakers... results no diff...fldigi crashes.

                              what else can I check?