Re: fldigi and HamQTH database query

  • Marc Farly
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 24, 2013
      >Joel Black w4jbb@... said:
      >
      >I've noticed on my Mac setup that the fields no longer populate.  I
      >don't know when this started, but it is not working in either 3.21.69 or
      >3.21.70.
      >
      >Now, to select the web browser lookup, you need to be in the top half of
      >the screen you mention below.  From your statement, it appears you're in
      >the bottom half of that window.
      >
      >If "QRZ online via default Internet Browser" is checked, that's what it
      >will do.  I can change mine to "Hamcall..." or "HamQTH..." and *that*
      >part works fine.  The "Data base lookup" section is what I'm having
      >trouble with.
      >
      >73,
      >Joel - W4JBB

      Marc KJ6WEX: I can get the web browser lookup to work, too, so you're seeing exactly what I'm seeing here.

      >Dick Kriss aa5vu@... said:
      >Marc,
      >
      >Something is not right with your setup.  I suggest you should:
      >
      >- Quit fldigi
      >- Remove  fldigi_def.xml from you .fldigi folder (or just right-click/compress and then trash the  fldigi_def.xml)
      >- Start fldigi as a new user and see if you get it to work by only checking HamQTS.com box
      >
      >It works fine with my fldigi-3.21.70 OSX Mountain Lion setup on an iMac
      >
      >I suspect your fldigi_def.xml file may be corrupted?
      >
      >Dick AA5VU

      Marc KJ6WEX: I just gave that a try and got the same results, unfortunately.

      >Steve stecla1@... said:
      >
      >Ok I've replicated this it does it on mine too.
      >FLdidi 3.21.70 OSX 10.8.2
      >
      >If you uncheck the web browser lookup and just do the database lookup:
      >qrz cdrom database works.
      >qrz.com lookup works
      >hamcall.net (didn't test)
      >hamqth.com didn't work

      Marc KJ6WEX: I don't have any other database resource, such as QRZ.com or the CDROM, so I can't test that. It looks like you're seeing the same problem I'm having.

      >I haven't seen that anyone has pointed out the simple test, is your QRZ subscription up to date? I realized recently that my CQRLog was not filling in the contact details anymore. Turned out my QRZ subscription had expired and the XML info was no longer available to me.
      >
      >Just another possible solution path to investigate.
      >
      >Good Luck,
      >
      >Michael - K5WRN

      Marc KJ6WEX: I only have the HamQTH.com account and it's up to date. I did confirm my credentials were correct, though, just in case.

    • Cliff Scott
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 24, 2013
        ** Reply to message from Steve <stecla1@...> on Wed, 24 Apr 2013
        07:38:14 -0500

        Strange. I just now made a contact and it worked fine on my OSx 10.7.5 to use
        hamqth.com. Has hamqth.com ever worked for you?

        Cliff
        AE5ZA

      • Marc Farly
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 24, 2013
          I set the logging to "Debug" and tried a HamQTH database query. Here is the log output:

          W: [11:35:52] logbook/lookupcall.cxx:880: HAMQTH session id failed!
          http://hamqth.com...
          I: [11:35:51] logbook/lookupcall.cxx:1060: Request sent to

          Hopefully, that sheds some light on what is causing it to not work.

          -Marc

        • Dave B
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 25, 2013
            On 24 Apr 2013 at 17:18, linuxham@yahoogroups.com wrote:

            > Re: fldigi and HamQTH database query
            > Posted by: "mwrenn@..." michaelwrenn@...
            > mwrenn@... Date: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:21 am ((PDT))
            >
            > I haven't seen that anyone has pointed out the simple test, is your
            > QRZ subscription up to date? I realized recently that my CQRLog was
            > not filling in the contact details anymore. Turned out my QRZ
            > subscription had expired and the XML info was no longer available to
            > me.
            >
            > Just another possible solution path to investigate.
            >
            > Good Luck,
            >
            > Michael - K5WRN

            Might not be relevant, but HamQTH.com have recently moved to new servers.

            Dave G0WBX.

            <Quote>
            Hello,

            after long time, I'm very happy that I can inform you about recent news
            at http://HamQTH.com

            What's new?

            * we are running on new server CPU Intel Xeon E3-1220v2, 28GB RAM, 4x1TB
            HDD connected to RAID10, Ubuntu 12.04, MariaDB * UI design improved
            (thnaks to Doug, KJ6OYJ) * list of recent uploaded logs is sorted by date
            * list of DX cluster spots is reloaded every 20 seconds

            If you are following HamQTH on Twitter and/or Facebook, you probably know
            about my troubles with VPS where HamQTH lived. Last month or so was very
            complicated. VPS had severail failures. Fortunately, the new server is
            online and today I moved the webstite. Everything should be much faster.
            Server has several times more RAM than VPS had, disk operation are very
            fast (thanks to RAID 10). Now HamQTH can grow without any problem. Look
            at http://HamQTH.com and check out how fast it is!

            73 Petr, OK2CQR
            HamQTH.com owner

            <UnQuote>
          • ThomasA
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 25, 2013
              Are you logged into HamQTH? you might try this log in and save log in info in browser, then try it... HTH Tom K8WDX

              --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Marc Farly <kj6wex@...> wrote:

              > I set the logging to "Debug" and tried a HamQTH database query. Here is the
              > log output:
              >
              > W: [11:35:52] logbook/lookupcall.cxx:880: HAMQTH session id failed!
              > http://hamqth.com...
              > I: [11:35:51] logbook/lookupcall.cxx:1060: Request sent to
              >

              > Hopefully, that sheds some light on what is causing it to not work.
              >
              > -Marc

            • Marc Farly
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 25, 2013
                Hello, Thomas-

                That was a good suggestion. Unfortunately, it still gave me the same errors in the log after failing to fetch the information.

                -Marc
              • Marc Farly
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 25, 2013
                  I figured it out, at least in a quick test here at work. Through a Google search, I found this link to see if it returns a session ID or not: http://www.hamqth.com/xml.php?u=username&p=password (replace the username and password accordingly, of course).

                  In my case, it returned that my username or password was incorrect, even though I confirmed it was correct. I then changed my HamQTH password, since I had a '#' in it and suspected it didn't like that character. After changing the password, I was able to get a session ID using the test link. Based on that success, I changed my password in fldigi and tried again and it worked. Woo!

                  If anyone else is having trouble getting it to work, try the steps I describe and see if it solves the problem.

                  Thanks

                  -Marc

                  On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 5:38 AM, Steve <stecla1@...> wrote:
                  Ok I've replicated this it does it on mine too.
                  FLdidi 3.21.70 OSX 10.8.2

                  If you uncheck the web browser lookup and just do the database lookup:
                  qrz cdrom database works.
                  qrz.com lookup works
                  hamcall.net (didn't test)
                  hamqth.com didn't work
                  calllook.info worked

                  Steve
                  KK4NNH

                  On Apr 24, 2013, at 5:18 AM, Joel Black <w4jbb@...> wrote:

                  > I've noticed on my Mac setup that the fields no longer populate.  I
                  > don't know when this started, but it is not working in either 3.21.69 or
                  > 3.21.70.
                  >
                  > Now, to select the web browser lookup, you need to be in the top half of
                  > the screen you mention below.  From your statement, it appears you're in
                  > the bottom half of that window.
                  >
                  > If "QRZ online via default Internet Browser" is checked, that's what it
                  > will do.  I can change mine to "Hamcall..." or "HamQTH..." and *that*
                  > part works fine.  The "Data base lookup" section is what I'm having
                  > trouble with.
                  >
                  > 73,
                  > Joel - W4JBB
                  >
                  > On 4/23/13 7:14 PM, Steve wrote:
                  >> Marc,
                  >> It sounds like you're doing it right.
                  >> I tried it on my OSX and no matter what box I check... hamqth or calllookup.info it always goes to QRZ..... not sure why.
                  >> Steve
                  >> KK4NNH
                  >>

                  >> On Apr 23, 2013, at 5:08 PM, Marc Farly <kj6wex@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >>> Hello, all-
                  >>>
                  >>> I am a new subscriber to this list and I have a question about querying the HamQTH.com database using fldigi under MacOS X. I am running the most-recent version of fldigi (3.21.70).
                  >>>
                  >>> I have the "configuration>Web>Data base lookup" set with my login credentials to HamQTH.com and the checkbox next to HamQTH.com is checked. When I'm operating PSK31, I double-click a callsign and it populates the Call field above my receive window. When I click the QRZ globe button above the frequency display, nothing happens. I expected it would fill in the remaining fields based on fetching the information linked to that callsign. Am I doing something wrong? If so, what do I need to do to make this work? As it is, I've been keeping a browser window open and copying/pasting info from QRZ or HamQTH manually, which seems somewhat unnecessary.
                  >>>
                  >>> Thank you in advance for your help.
                  >>>
                  >>> -Marc

                  <*> Your email settings:
                      Individual Email | Traditional

                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                      (Yahoo! ID required)

                  <*> To change settings via email:
                      linuxham-digest@yahoogroups.com
                      linuxham-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • Joel Black
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 26, 2013
                    Oh, good grief!

                    After having swapped from PC to Mac in December, I loaded Fldigi and its associated software.  During the installation, I failed to put in my user name and password for using HamQTH.  I kept reading it as a free service so I didn't figure I needed to input my user name and password - it does not require it for the web browser lookup.  It does require it for the database lookup though which makes sense.

                    I have no way of going back and looking at the PC to compare as it no longer exists in its previous configuration.

                    I didn't catch this previously as I have not been working many digital modes this year; therefore, I truly had no idea when this problem started.  Heh...  It seems it started upon my incorrect configuration.  Marc saying something about having to input a password got me on that path.

                    Sorry for all the bandwidth I've caused with *my* issue.

                    73,
                    Joel - W4JBB