flamp fails to run

  • Jim Hartzell
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 23, 2013
      I just downloaded Linux binary for the web site and extracted it to ~
      /bin. also tried ~/.fldigi.
      I try to run it and nothing happens.
      From a terminal the only error I get is "flamp: No such file or directory"
      OS = Mint 14, 64bit Cinnamon.
      ALL other fl* apps downloaded from Kamal's repo.

      What am I doing wrong?

      Jim WA3UQD
    • Marty Hartwell
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 24, 2013
        Hi Jim

        I suspect it is the path you selected. I suspect you have now a
        folder/directory under root named bin and another one named .fldigi.
        The /bin will, if it was created at all, be executable only by root or
        the files in them only executable by root. Most of the time I see the
        binary files for Fldigi put either in /usr/local or in your home
        directory/bin with an entry in your path to search $HOME/bin to be
        able to find it. There is a file on Dave's web site to help in loading
        from the repo and to manually load a tar file. There is also a down
        loadable help in pdf format.

        Marty kd8bj

        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 24, 2013
          On 04/24/2013 08:19 AM, Marty Hartwell wrote:
          > Hi Jim
          >
          > I suspect it is the path you selected. I suspect you have now a
          > folder/directory under root named bin and another one named .fldigi.
          > The /bin will, if it was created at all, be executable only by root or
          > the files in them only executable by root. Most of the time I see the
          > binary files for Fldigi put either in /usr/local or in your home
          > directory/bin with an entry in your path to search $HOME/bin to be
          > able to find it. There is a file on Dave's web site to help in loading
          > from the repo and to manually load a tar file. There is also a down
          > loadable help in pdf format.

          Unless you have a very old Linux version, this is your /home/.profile

          # set PATH so it includes user's private bin if it exists
          if [ -d "$HOME/bin" ] ; then
          PATH="$HOME/bin:$PATH"

          Create the bin in /home as user not root.

          $ mkdir .bin

          Ed W3NR
        • Imabug
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 24, 2013
            does it work when you provide the full path?

            ~/bin/flamp

            if so, close your terminal app and relaunch it. should work

            eugene

            --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Jim Hartzell <wa3uqd@...> wrote:

            > I just downloaded Linux binary for the web site and extracted it to ~
            > /bin. also tried ~/.fldigi.
            > I try to run it and nothing happens.
            > From a terminal the only error I get is "flamp: No such file or directory"
            > OS = Mint 14, 64bit Cinnamon.
            > ALL other fl* apps downloaded from Kamal's repo.
            >
            > What am I doing wrong?
            >
            > Jim WA3UQD

          • Jim Hartzell
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 24, 2013
              Hi Marty,
              The bin folder is in my users home directory and path. I tried running
              it directly from the bin directory, both and command line.

              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 24, 2013
                On 04/24/2013 12:33 PM, Jim Hartzell wrote:
                > Hi Marty,
                > The bin folder is in my users home directory and path. I tried running
                > it directly from the bin directory, both and command line.
                >
                > Jim WA3UQD

                Make sure that flamp is executable. You did log out and back in so your
                /bin directory was recognized.

                Ed W3NR
              • Jim Hartzell
                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 24, 2013
                  On 04/24/2013 09:04 AM, Ed wrote:
                  > On 04/24/2013 08:19 AM, Marty Hartwell wrote:
                  >> Hi Jim
                  >>
                  >> I suspect it is the path you selected. I suspect you have now a
                  >> folder/directory under root named bin and another one named .fldigi.
                  >> The /bin will, if it was created at all, be executable only by root or
                  >> the files in them only executable by root. Most of the time I see the
                  >> binary files for Fldigi put either in /usr/local or in your home
                  >> directory/bin with an entry in your path to search $HOME/bin to be
                  >> able to find it. There is a file on Dave's web site to help in loading
                  >> from the repo and to manually load a tar file. There is also a down
                  >> loadable help in pdf format.
                  >>
                  > Unless you have a very old Linux version, this is your /home/.profile
                  >
                  > # set PATH so it includes user's private bin if it exists
                  > if [ -d "$HOME/bin" ] ; then
                  > PATH="$HOME/bin:$PATH"
                  >
                  > Create the bin in /home as user not root.
                  >
                  > $ mkdir .bin

                  Ed,
                  OS = MINT 14
                  It is in my users home folder. I downloaded the tar file and extracted
                  it to /home/<userid>/bin.
                  Tried to run it by double clicking on the icon, then I tried command
                  line from the bin folder and I get the error. I moved the file to the
                  .fldigi folder same result.
                  I assumed that the error meant that flamp cannot .bin find a folder/file
                  that it needs to run, I know assuming gets you into trouble.

                  Jim WA3UQD
                • Jim Hartzell
                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 24, 2013
                    I am at work, I will try when I get home.

                    Jim WA3UQD

                    On 04/24/2013 09:29 AM, Imabug wrote:
                    > does it work when you provide the full path?
                    >
                    > ~/bin/flamp
                    >
                    > if so, close your terminal app and relaunch it. should work
                    >
                    > eugene
                    >
                    > --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Jim Hartzell <wa3uqd@...> wrote:
                    >> I just downloaded Linux binary for the web site and extracted it to ~
                    >> /bin. also tried ~/.fldigi.
                    >> I try to run it and nothing happens.
                    >> From a terminal the only error I get is "flamp: No such file or directory"
                    >> OS = Mint 14, 64bit Cinnamon.
                    >> ALL other fl* apps downloaded from Kamal's repo.
                    >>
                    >> What am I doing wrong?
                    >>
                    >> Jim WA3UQD

                  • Jim Hartzell
                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 24, 2013
                      On 04/24/2013 12:45 PM, Ed wrote:
                      > On 04/24/2013 12:33 PM, Jim Hartzell wrote:
                      >> Hi Marty,
                      >> The bin folder is in my users home directory and path. I tried running
                      >> it directly from the bin directory, both and command line.
                      >>
                      >> Jim WA3UQD
                      > Make sure that flamp is executable. You did log out and back in so your
                      > /bin directory was recognized.

                      Ed,
                      The bin folder has been there since I installed the OS.
                      It is executable.

                      Jim WA3UQD
                      Message 10 of 18 , Apr 24, 2013
                        Are you building flamp from source or trying to run the Linux binary?

                        If the latter then you should check to be sure that all of the correct
                        supporting shared libraries are on your system

                        $ ldd ~/bin/flamp

                        Dave
                        > Ed,
                        > The bin folder has been there since I installed the OS.
                        > It is executable.
                        >
                        > Jim WA3UQD

                      • Jim Hartzell
                        Message 11 of 18 , Apr 24, 2013
                          Dave,

                          ldd errors with:

                          ~ $ ldd ~/bin/flamp
                          not a dynamic executable

                          file is executable.
                          ~/bin $ ls -l flamp
                          -rwxr-xr-x 1 jdh jdh 1332256 Nov 14 19:59 flamp

                          Jim WA3UQD

                          Message 12 of 18 , Apr 24, 2013
                            On 04/24/2013 04:20 PM, Jim Hartzell wrote:
                            > Dave,
                            >
                            > ldd errors with:
                            >
                            > ~ $ ldd ~/bin/flamp
                            > not a dynamic executable
                            >
                            > file is executable.
                            > ~/bin $ ls -l flamp
                            > -rwxr-xr-x 1 jdh jdh 1332256 Nov 14 19:59 flamp
                            Suggest you try building from the source Jim

                            Dave
                          • Bob Snyder
                            Message 13 of 18 , Apr 24, 2013
                              Try:

                              file ~/bin/flamp

                              The 'file' command will tell you everything you need to know about a file.

                              Bob W6CP

                              On 04/24/2013 02:20 PM, Jim Hartzell wrote:
                              > Dave,
                              >
                              > ldd errors with:
                              >
                              > ~ $ ldd ~/bin/flamp
                              > not a dynamic executable
                              >
                              > file is executable.
                              > ~/bin $ ls -l flamp
                              > -rwxr-xr-x 1 jdh jdh 1332256 Nov 14 19:59 flamp
                              >
                              > Jim WA3UQD
                              >

                              > On 04/24/2013 01:18 PM, w1hkj wrote:
                              >> Are you building flamp from source or trying to run the Linux binary?
                              >>
                              >> If the latter then you should check to be sure that all of the correct
                              >> supporting shared libraries are on your system
                              >>
                              >> $ ldd ~/bin/flamp
                              >>
                              >> Dave
                              >>> Ed,
                              >>> The bin folder has been there since I installed the OS.
                              >>> It is executable.
                              >>>
                              >>> Jim WA3UQD

                            • Jim Hartzell
                              Message 14 of 18 , Apr 25, 2013
                                Thanks Dave, I will try it when I get time. I need to get all of the
                                tools loaded first.

                                Jim WA3UQD

                                Message 15 of 18 , Apr 25, 2013
                                  On 04/25/2013 07:51 AM, Jim Hartzell wrote:
                                  > Thanks Dave, I will try it when I get time. I need to get all of the
                                  > tools loaded first.
                                  >
                                  > Jim WA3UQD
                                  follow the instructions on the fldigi wiki Jim.

                                  Dave
                                • Brian Morrison
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Apr 25, 2013
                                    On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 17:20:16 -0400
                                    Jim Hartzell wrote:

                                    > ldd errors with:
                                    >
                                    > ~ $ ldd ~/bin/flamp
                                    > not a dynamic executable

                                    That suggests that the file is corrupt and that the loader can't
                                    recognise the ELF header. Try downloading it again.

                                    Also 'which flamp' will tell you for certain that it's finding the
                                    correct binary, although your result above shows it is finding it in
                                    you user bin directory.

                                    --

                                    Brian Morrison
                                  • Jim Hartzell
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Apr 25, 2013
                                      On 04/25/2013 10:32 AM, Brian Morrison wrote:
                                      > On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 17:20:16 -0400
                                      > Jim Hartzell wrote:
                                      >
                                      >> ldd errors with:
                                      >>
                                      >> ~ $ ldd ~/bin/flamp
                                      >> not a dynamic executable
                                      > That suggests that the file is corrupt and that the loader can't
                                      > recognise the ELF header. Try downloading it again.
                                      >
                                      > Also 'which flamp' will tell you for certain that it's finding the
                                      > correct binary, although your result above shows it is finding it in
                                      > you user bin directory.

                                      I tried 3 times, same result.

                                      Jim WA3UQD
                                    • Jim Hartzell
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Apr 25, 2013
                                        On 04/24/2013 07:06 PM, w1hkj wrote:
                                        > On 04/24/2013 04:20 PM, Jim Hartzell wrote:
                                        >> Dave,
                                        >>
                                        >> ldd errors with:
                                        >>
                                        >> ~ $ ldd ~/bin/flamp
                                        >> not a dynamic executable
                                        >>
                                        >> file is executable.
                                        >> ~/bin $ ls -l flamp
                                        >> -rwxr-xr-x 1 jdh jdh 1332256 Nov 14 19:59 flamp
                                        > Suggest you try building from the source Jim
                                        >
                                        > Dave

                                        Build successful, I configure it and test it this week-end.
                                        Thanks to Dave and everyone for the help.

                                        Jim WA3UQD