Re: [linuxham] Positive news

  • Anthony DeStefano
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 22, 2013
      On Apr 22, 2013, at 6:23 PM, k7cwa <cwa@...> wrote:

      > I have the Baofeng UV-3R hand-held radio and I purchased the programming cable for it. The cable simply would not work in Windows. The device manager shows it but could will start it (Code 10) and no better driver can be found. It would not work under Windows 7 or under Windows XP either. My efforts to download programs and drivers from Baofeng just infected my computer with add-ware and virus's
      >
      > I finally plugged the programming cable into my Ubuntu machine (same machine as XP - Dual-Boot) and did a lsusb from the terminal and there it was, looking just fine. I installed the CHRIP program and hooked the cable to the radio, and everything works as it should, first try. Ubuntu is causing me to not like Windows.
      >
      > In summation, the Chinese USB programming cable simply will not work [for me] in Windows. Ubuntu simply detects it and it works with no adjustments or other actions on my part. Stay away from the Chinese drivers and programs, they are a trick to install bad stuff on your computer.

      This is because your cable has a counterfeit Prolific chip in it. Just tonight I followed the instructions at http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/UV5R-Drivers.html and it worked fine.

      Of course, in Linux the driver doesn't care and just works.

      -Anthony
    • Warren Andreasen
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 24, 2013
        Thanks, I got the Windows driver and it does work.

        Warren