Kachina on WinME

    Message 1 of 6 , May 16, 2006
      Hello Jon (W1MNk).

      Glad to hear that the program works fine on WinME. You are the first to
      make that report and it is a pretty significant one in fact. The
      program has been tested on Win2000, XP and 98, but not on ME before. I
      believe that Kachina sold the rig with a computer that had WinME
      installed so that means all of those units can use the KachinaCAT
      program if they want.

      Spiffy ... I guess that is a good way to describe the user interface.
      My goal was to put as much on the front panel as possible without making
      it cluttered. I wanted it to look clean and crisp with the controls
      easy to find.

      Do you use the Kachina for digital comms? It works great with the gmfsk
      modem program on Linux.

      73's Dave (hkj)
    • jhaynesatalumni
      Message 2 of 6 , May 17, 2006
        Also working fine on Win95.
      • Jon Maguire
        Message 3 of 6 , May 17, 2006

          Hi Dave,
          I haven't been on the air for ages due too job demands.
          It's so tough
          to make time for anything but work and family, that hobbies just fall by
          the wayside.
          I love to target shoot, but haven't been to the range in over a year!!
          I'm just going
          to boot strap myself back into my hobbies.

          To answer your question, I have an SCS PTC-II connected to the 505DSP, but
          haven't used it in a while. As a matter of fact, I have to download the
          terminal
          program for it, as I rebuilt this PC a year or more ago, and lost
          everything that
          was on it. I just got back from Best Buy where I picked up a Gateway
          Intel 940
          Dual Core PC, which will be used exclusively for Ham Radio. It has an
          integrated sound card, so I'll have to see how that works out. If it doesn't
          work well, I'll just add a Creative USB soundcard. Can you beleive that
          the GW PC had 7 USB ports and 3 Firewire ports!! I've never done
          soundcard digital before, so I'll have to get a RigBlaster. Normally I'd
          build
          an interface, but the ole eyes ain't what they used to be, and my
          arthritic hands
          are a real pain (literally).

          I was just looking at your Web site... gMFSK is only for Linux? If so, I
          may install
          VMWare on the PC, and put on a Linux distro. I have access to several.
          That would
          probably be a lot of fun. I really need to get Linux going anyways, as I
          work with AIX
          at work.

          So again, than you for the fantastic software. I'm going to spread the
          news to several
          friends who also own Kachinas. It's a great rig, and really undertated
          and misunderstood
          by the computer illiterate masses :-)

          73... Jon W1MNK

          PS Anyone have any comments on USB sound cards? Thanks.