WSJT-X - Linux Build Procedure

  • ki7mt
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 19 12:02 PM
      Hello All, Thought I'd pass this along for those interested:

      This is what I used yesterday to get WSJT-X (JT9) compiled and working, with much assistance from AC6SL, John and KH7SR, Bear. I've only tested this for a short time, so much more testing is needed.

      If you start off in a clean /usr/local/src directory, not having built a version before, make -f Makefile.linux will try to create the dir called wsjtx_install, but it doesn't, it creates a "file" instead and when you try to execute qmake && make, it fails with an error-1 (file already exists), which is true, it does, as make -F Makefile.linux created it. So to get around this, just create the directly beforehand [ mkdir /usr/local/src/wsjtx_install ] and all goes as planned.

      Deps I added to new UB 12.04.2 + updates build:
      subversion
      gfortran
      libqwt5-qt4-dev
      libfftw3-3
      libfftw3-dev
      libportaudiocpp0
      portaudio19-dev
      build-essential

      Final build sequence was in /usr/local/src:
      Note: I'm not building or retaining rev's, just whatever is the latest in svn is:

      cd /usr/local/src
      svn co svn://svn.berlios.de/wsjt/branches/wsjtx
      mkdir ./wsjtx_install
      cd ./wsjtx/lib
      make -f Makefile.linux
      cd ..
      qmake && make

      then to run ./wsjtx_install/wsjtx <-- make sure you do the kernel.shmmax and audio fixes first, or you probably run into trouble.

      Shared Mamory Issue - kernel.shmmax
      For the shared memory issue, I've tried 2 numbers, the first failed on start-up, the second seemed to work. I'm not a kernel.shmmax expert so it's a bit beyond my understanding at the moment.

      First: sudo sysctl -w kernel.shmmax=82000000 <--Failed
      Second: sudo sysctl -w kernel.shmmax=268435456 <--worked

      I've not added it to /etc/sysctl.conf yet until I know it's a sold fix. For now, it's a manual task, I may put it in rc.local or something, don't know.

      Sound Card Sampling Rate
      I had all sorts of trouble with this until Bear sent me a note, now it seems to be working pretty well. I think Joe sent this out originally, but I couldn't find it:

      cd
      touch ./.asoundrc
      nano ./.asoundrc

      # Add the following code
      ------------------------
      pcm.radio {
      type hw
      card 1
      device 0
      }
      pcm_slave.radioslave {
      pcm radio
      rate 48000
      }
      pcm.radioconv {
      type rate
      slave radioslave
      }
      ------------------------
      # Exit and Save, log out and back into the user.

      In the configuration menu, select the audio device ID's that were annotated with [ radioconv ] for both rx & tx. First time around I messed this up and could not get back in to fix it, as the app would crash, so I had to rebuild it. Maybe there's a config file I could have edited, not sure.

      Like I said, I've not tested much, but initial impressions, it's looks very nice!!

      73's Greg, KI7MT
    • mike.k0ter
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 19 4:10 PM
        --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "ki7mt" <ki7mt@...> wrote:

        > Hello All, Thought I'd pass this along for those interested:
        >
        > This is what I used yesterday to get WSJT-X (JT9) compiled and working, with much assistance from AC6SL, John and KH7SR, Bear. I've only tested this for a short time, so much more testing is needed.

        I've followed your instructions and I do have WSJT-X compiled and
        running on my Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Linux computer.

        I can decode signals but I've yet to get the TX to work.
        I am using a SignaLink USB audio device. I suspect the reason
        PTT is not working is due to the way the '.asoundrc' is set up.
        Can you give me some guidance on how to set it up for the
        SignaLink? There are 2 sound devices in this computer, the
        internal card and the SignaLink.

        Thanks and 73,

        Mike, K0TER
      • ki7mt
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 19 4:33 PM
          Hi Mike, see comments Below

          >>> KI7MT Comments

          I can decode signals but I've yet to get the TX to work.
          I am using a SignaLink USB audio device. I suspect the reason
          PTT is not working is due to the way the '.asoundrc' is set up.
          Can you give me some guidance on how to set it up for the
          SignaLink? There are 2 sound devices in this computer, the
          internal card and the SignaLink.

          >> I use the Naigator interface, which is an FDTI chipset. I dont have a SignaLink interface, but I think it's the same chips set, and may well be the same audio CODEC, Bur Brown.

          Setting up the ttyUSBx and identifying the USB Codec is a completely different affair.

          PTT is related to the /dev/tty you've selected, and that needs to match the SignaLink or whatever device your using for PTT, in my case it's a comm-port on the Navigator.

          I used / tested KO9B's nice example for getting things going, and it has a section referring to the SignaLink setup, but I only browsed past it.

          It's a 15-20 page PDF (but simple to follow, with lots of images) for setting up ttyUSB ports, Audio Port Identification, Fldigi and CQRLog setup.

          You'll have to join the NAVIGATOR-Interface Yahoo Group to get at the file "I think", the file name is: UbuntuHamRadio_KO9B_02B.pdf

          About WSJT-X: It's very much still under development, an I'm sure there's many bugs yet to be resolved in the Linux version. My main focus was to get a working model to DL & Test the latest releases. I'm still using Windows for JT9 QSO's.

          73's Greg, KI7MT