Re: [linuxham] Ubuntu Keying problems.

  • D.J.J. Ring, Jr.
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 6, 2013
      There was a helper program, maybe Dave's page had one, or maybe it was over on the G4ZLP page - this one finds the CAT and Digital Interface ports on computer and I believe the baud rate of each:

      http://www.g4zlp.co.uk/Downloads/DigiMasterUtilities/DigiMaster%20PRO/Find%20DigiMaster%20PRO.exe

      If I remember correctly, it works under WINE.

      G4ZLP makes excellent products by the way, listed as Linux compatible :-)

      73

      David
    • Ing. Pavel Milanes Costa
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 8, 2013
        After any privilege modification you need to do a logoff/logon to the modifications take effects.

        73

        On 05/04/13 17:06, CWA wrote:

        I have added myself to the dial out group and that made no change.

        Windows has the Device Manager, is there some equivalent program in Linux? If I could look to see what devices are on what ports, that would be helpful.

        I know it is not a hardware issue since all I have to do is switch to Windows and it works.

        Thanks for the links, I will explore them.

          < /span>

        Warren

        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 10, 2013
          Some revisions of Ubuntu - specifically 12.04 keeps any normal user from accessing the serial or USB I/O ports - is part of their security model and hardware abstraction model. The version of Ubuntu in reports is critical because the model changes between major revisions.

          To restore the CIV support through the serial port I made a script file I run when I log in to the unit that has the modes the monitor uses and the changes to the ports that the FLDIGI uses through HAMLIB.

          The command line equivalent is:

          sudo chmod 0777 /dev/ttyS0      {the change is only for the session the user is logged into - am using the wired serial port directly to a CI-V interface to an Icom-718}.

          The /dev/ttyS0 portion can be changed or added as a separate line to whatever USB port that is relevant for the CI-V interface. Some experimentation is needed to determine where the interface is wanting to attach to.

          The down side is that the changes have to be done each time the user logs in. The up side is that when the Linux environment does not do what is expected - that a user has the potential to change that environment on the fly. Since there are multiple changes that have to be done on the quad core processor motherboard  - I just put them in a script file and then execute them as a batch after login.

          .Hope that helps,
          Guy

          On 04/05/2013 01:52 PM, Warren Andreasen wrote:
          > I am running Ubunto 3.5.0.26.
          > I have the IC-746Pro radio.
          > I use the West Mountain Pl ug and Play interface for USB audio.
          > I use the West Mountain RigTalk for CAT control (CI-V).
          > I am configured for Hamlib.
          >
          > The system works under Windows 7 although I admit I have had to use
          > FLRIG for reliable communication and PTT with the radio. It used to work
          > with Hamlin but after some Windows updates, it no longer does.
          >
          > I have, on the same computer, loaded Ubuntu and FLDIGI. It looks like
          > FLDIGI is working and I can receive and decode signals, however there is
          > no CI-V communications with the radio. The frequency does not show in
          > FLdigi and PTT does not work. The Baud rate is right and matches the radio.

          You need to add yourself to the dialout group

          https://fedorahosted.org/fldigi/wiki/Documentation/HOWTO/Serial_Port_Setup

          > I tried to download FLRIG but find the Linux versio n will not run on my
          > Ubuntu system, I get a message telling me it cannot install.

          You are trying to install the MS version with the .exe. Doesn't and will
          not work.

          > I want to use FLDIGI on Ubuntu but I have tried every port, and of
          > course the correct USB0 and USB1 but cannot get communications with the
          > radio. Again, on the same computer with no physical changes, the Windows
          > version works with Windows, but on Ubuntu there is no communications. I
          > don't know where to go next, so I am here asking if anyone can point me
          > in the right direction.
          >
          > Warren - K7CWA

          This is a good place to start

          http://www.w1hkj.com/download.html

          as well as this

          http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp-3.21/index.html

          or here

          h ttps://fedorahosted.org/fldigi/

          Ed W3NR

        • k7cwa
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 12, 2013
            My keying problems are SOLVED. Thank you all that have tried to help me but the final answer was the newest release of Fldigi ....69 which contains a special driver for the Red Mountain RigTalk. It works! Hamlib now works and it did not before. I also downloaded and installed the Windows version and Hamlib now works on Windows too, and it would not before.

            I am a happy camper.

            Warren - K7CWA