Re: Lubuntu 12.10, Signalink USB, FLDigi, Icom IC-730

  • PittHappens
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 5, 2013
      An update for everyone, I choked everything. It was RFI to my Signalink USB. Furthermore, through a thorough analysis of the situation, when the computer was playing the audio over the sound card, it was hitting the signalink and going out to the radio, then the RFI was overloading the signalink causing it to power down. Which then confused FLDigi and essentially reacted as though you were to have just unplugged the sound card in the middle of a transmission...

      thank you to everyone for your help!

      73
      KF5SEP

      Joshua in McKinney, TX
      --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "PittHappens" <pitthappens@...> wrote:

      > I think you might be right about RFI. I am at work right now, but I SSH Tunneled and port forwarded to my netbook at home. The antenna is d/c and the radio is off, but I have no problem TXing...I'm going to have to get this RFI thing under control....
      >
      > --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Robert Stiles <kk5vd@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Better yet tune to the offending frequency and power off the signalink, make sure you have ptt cat control turn off in the configuration menu. Press the tune button. If it doesn't lock up, RFI problem you have.  You may have to buy some rfi chokes that are snapped around the cables to/from the radio, computer, and signalink interface, MFJ has some that fit around the size of rg58/rg8 coax, cost between $10-$14 for a package of four.  Finding the wire(s) responsible for the rf coupling may not be easy or possible as it can be any wire that's connected to your system. Including 120 ac lines in the house walls (primary issue with indoor antennas). Not having a proper ground is another possibility and the list goes on.  Trial and error maybe your only recourse if the rfi cable chokes don't fix the issue.
      > >

      > > ________________________________

    • Dave B
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 6, 2013
        On 6 Apr 2013 at 9:44, linuxham@yahoogroups.com wrote:

        > Re: Lubuntu 12.10, Signalink USB, FLDigi, Icom IC-730
        > Posted by: "PittHappens" pitthappens@... ragin_cajun_tenor
        > Date: Fri Apr 5, 2013 9:36 pm ((PDT))
        >
        > An update for everyone, I choked everything. It was RFI to my
        > Signalink USB. Furthermore, through a thorough analysis of the
        > situation, when the computer was playing the audio over the sound
        > card, it was hitting the signalink and going out to the radio, then
        > the RFI was overloading the signalink causing it to power down. Which
        > then confused FLDigi and essentially reacted as though you were to
        > have just unplugged the sound card in the middle of a transmission...
        >
        > thank you to everyone for your help!
        >
        > 73
        > KF5SEP

        There you go!...

        Well done that man. Now Enjoy....

        Has to make you wonder why a device intended to be used in a Ham shack,
        is so susceptable to RFI? It'd be interesting (but expensive) to
        subject it to a true calibrated EMC test. I suspect it'd fail.

        If it's got a CE mark, there should be a certificate of conformity
        included in the documentation. That in turn should say if it was
        "Tested" or just TCF declared. I suspect the latter, if anything...

        The TCF route to complience, is exactly how stuff like PLT "got to
        market". Nuff said.

        No CE mark, means it's doubtfuly legal to import and sell into the EU
        too...

        73.

        Dave G0WBX.
      • Bill Turner, WB4ALM
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 8, 2013
          response inline.

          On 04/06/2013 07:34 AM, Dave B wrote:

          On 6 Apr 2013 at 9:44, linuxham@yahoogroups.com wrote:

          > Re: Lubuntu 12.10, Signalink USB, FLDigi, Icom IC-730
          > Posted by: "PittHappens" pitthappens@... ragin_cajun_tenor
          > Date: Fri Apr 5, 2013 9:36 pm ((PDT))
          >
          > An update for everyone, I choked everything. It was RFI to my
          > Signalink USB. Furthermore, through a thorough analysis of the
          > situation, when the computer was playing the audio over the sound
          > card, it was hitting the signalink and going out to the radio, then
          > the RFI was overloading the signalink causing it to power down. Which
          > then confused FLDigi and essentially reacted as though you were to
          > have just unplugged the sound card in the middle of a transmission...
          >
          > thank you to everyone for your help!
          >
          > 73
          > KF5SEP

          There you go!...

          Well done that man. Now Enjoy....

          Has to make you wonder why a device intended to be used in a Ham shack,
          is so susceptable to RFI? It'd be interesting (but expensive) to
          subject it to a true calibrated EMC test. I suspect it'd fail.

          I use the SIGNALINK USB and have had no RFI problems.  But my Ham Shack GROUND
          is connected to all devices in the shack, INCLUDING the COMPUTER CASE.
          interface cables are as short as they can be, and the excess is frequently looped
          on themselves.  So far (knock on wood), I have not had to installed ferrite beads....

          /s/ Bill Turner, wb4alm