Ubuntu Keying problems.

  • Warren Andreasen
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 5, 2013
      I am running Ubunto 3.5.0.26.
      I have the IC-746Pro radio.
      I use the West Mountain Plug and Play interface for USB audio.
      I use the West Mountain RigTalk for CAT control (CI-V).
      I am configured for Hamlib.

      The system works under Windows 7 although I admit I have had to use FLRIG for reliable communication and PTT with the radio. It used to work with Hamlin but after some Windows updates, it no longer does.

      I have, on the same computer, loaded Ubuntu and FLDIGI. It looks like FLDIGI is working and I can receive and decode signals, however there is no CI-V communications with the radio. The frequency does not show in FLdigi and PTT does not work. The Baud rate is right and matches the radio.

      I tried to download FLRIG but find the Linux version will not run on my Ubuntu system, I get a message telling me it cannot install.

      I want to use FLDIGI on Ubuntu but I have tried every port, and of course the correct USB0 and USB1 but cannot get communications with the radio. Again, on the same computer with no physical changes, the Windows version works with Windows, but on Ubuntu there is no communications. I don't know where to go next, so I am here asking if anyone can point me in the right direction.

      Warren - K7CWA
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 5, 2013
        On 04/05/2013 01:52 PM, Warren Andreasen wrote:
        > I am running Ubunto 3.5.0.26.
        > I have the IC-746Pro radio.
        > I use the West Mountain Plug and Play interface for USB audio.
        > I use the West Mountain RigTalk for CAT control (CI-V).
        > I am configured for Hamlib.
        >
        > The system works under Windows 7 although I admit I have had to use
        > FLRIG for reliable communication and PTT with the radio. It used to work
        > with Hamlin but after some Windows updates, it no longer does.
        >
        > I have, on the same computer, loaded Ubuntu and FLDIGI. It looks like
        > FLDIGI is working and I can receive and decode signals, however there is
        > no CI-V communications with the radio. The frequency does not show in
        > FLdigi and PTT does not work. The Baud rate is right and matches the radio.

        You need to add yourself to the dialout group

        https://fedorahosted.org/fldigi/wiki/Documentation/HOWTO/Serial_Port_Setup

        > I tried to download FLRIG but find the Linux version will not run on my
        > Ubuntu system, I get a message telling me it cannot install.

        You are trying to install the MS version with the .exe. Doesn't and will
        not work.

        > I want to use FLDIGI on Ubuntu but I have tried every port, and of
        > course the correct USB0 and USB1 but cannot get communications with the
        > radio. Again, on the same computer with no physical changes, the Windows
        > version works with Windows, but on Ubuntu there is no communications. I
        > don't know where to go next, so I am here asking if anyone can point me
        > in the right direction.
        >
        > Warren - K7CWA

        This is a good place to start

        http://www.w1hkj.com/download.html

        as well as this

        http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp-3.21/index.html

        or here

        https://fedorahosted.org/fldigi/

        Ed W3NR
      • CWA
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 5, 2013

          I have added myself to the dial out group and that made no change.

          Windows has the Device Manager, is there some equivalent program in Linux? If I could look to see what devices are on what ports, that would be helpful.

          I know it is not a hardware issue since all I have to do is switch to Windows and it works.

          Thanks for the links, I will explore them.

          Warren

          On 04/05/2013 01:52 PM, Warren Andreasen wrote:

          > I am running Ubunto 3.5.0.26.
          > I have the IC-746Pro radio.
          > I use the West Mountain Plug and Play interface for USB audio.
          > I use the West Mountain RigTalk for CAT control (CI-V).
          > I am configured for Hamlib.
          >
          > The system works under Windows 7 although I admit I have had to use
          > FLRIG for reliable communication and PTT with the radio. It used to work
          > with Hamlin but after some Windows updates, it no longer does.
          >
          > I have, on the same computer, loaded Ubuntu and FLDIGI. It looks like
          > FLDIGI is working and I can receive and decode signals, however there is
          > no CI-V communications with the radio. The frequency does not show in
          > FLdigi and PTT does not work. The Baud rate is right and matches the radio.

          You need to add yourself to the dialout group

          https://fedorahosted.org/fldigi/wiki/Documentation/HOWTO/Serial_Port_Setup

          > I tried to download FLRIG but find the Linux version will not run on my
          > Ubuntu system, I get a message telling me it cannot install.

          You are trying to install the MS version with the .exe. Doesn't and will
          not work.

          > I want to use FLDIGI on Ubuntu but I have tried every port, and of
          > course the correct USB0 and USB1 but cannot get communications with the
          > radio. Again, on the same computer with no physical changes, the Windows
          > version works with Windows, but on Ubuntu there is no communications. I
          > don't know where to go next, so I am here asking if anyone can point me
          > in the right direction.
          >
          > Warren - K7CWA

          This is a good place to start

          http://www.w1hkj.com/download.html

          as well as this

          http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp-3.21/index.html

          or here

          https://fedorahosted.org/fldigi/

          Ed W3NR

        • Marty Hartwell
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 5, 2013
            Hi Warren

            To see what ports are being used you will have to bring up a terminal
            window. In that window you will want to enter the command like this:

            sudo ls -l /dev/USB*

            you will be asked for a password you enter the password you entered
            when installing the system.

            If you have anything installed on a USB port it will show up, if you
            don't have an adapter plugged in nothing will be shown, if you then plug
            in a device and reenter the command it will show what port is active.

            Hope this helps.
            Marty kd8bj

            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 5, 2013
              On 04/05/2013 05:06 PM, CWA wrote:
              > I have added myself to the dial out group and that made no change.

              Did you log out and back in ?

              > Windows has the Device Manager, is there some equivalent program in Linux?
              > If I could look to see what devices are on what ports, that would be
              > helpful.

              If you are talking USB, then lsusb .

              > Thanks for the links, I will explore them.

              You need to stop and read them.

              Ed W3NR
            • CWA
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 5, 2013

                Yes I have read the material, yes I have logged off and on many times. The lsusb command shows I have many things on USB ports (keyboard, mouse, wireless adapter and so on, and it also show both of my West Mountain devices. I am not sure how FLDIGI knows what port is what but the plug and play part is working well, only the CAT portion is not. I know it can work because if I have the RTS and CTS held high, and I am set for USB0, when I initialize it keys the radio while it initializes. My only problem is the CAT commands are not working and FLDIGI is not communication with the CI-V port.

                Thank you for you help. I have been a Microsoft Certified Professional but Ubuntu/Linux is all new to me and I have a LOT to learn, my point being I am not a dummy who won’t read, I am just stuck is all.

                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 5, 2013
                  On 04/05/2013 08:02 PM, CWA wrote:
                  > Yes I have read the material, yes I have logged off and on many times. The
                  > lsusb command shows I have many things on USB ports (keyboard, mouse,
                  > wireless adapter and so on, and it also show both of my West Mountain
                  > devices. I am not sure how FLDIGI knows what port is what but the plug and
                  > play part is working well, only the CAT portion is not. I know it can work
                  > because if I have the RTS and CTS held high, and I am set for USB0, when I
                  > initialize it keys the radio while it initializes. My only problem is the
                  > CAT commands are not working and FLDIGI is not communication with the CI-V
                  > port.

                  OK, you do not need CTS held high, in fact you do not need it at all.
                  Now, is your CAT interface looking for RTS or DTR ? Easy work around is
                  to set both high for now. Are you using hamlib or rigCAT ? Don't forget
                  that with Icom you need to echo commands. Make sure you do not have
                  autobaud set in the Icom and that transceive is off. I wouid suggest
                  using rigCAT for now until you can get flrig up and going.

                  There is a .bin for Linux/flrig that works well. If you need any help
                  with that just holler. Go over the readme and if you decide to go that
                  route just change the app to point to what you want.

                  If you are using USB for rig control fldigi will show that in the drop
                  down menu. Select USB0 and go from there.

                  I would really suggest getting flrig going, it solves a lot of annoying
                  problems and gives you more of the rig features to use.

                  I know it all sounds confusing for now, but once you get your head
                  wrapped around Linux, it is not that really difficult.

                  Check out Amazon ebooks, there are several good Linux books that are
                  free. You will need Calibre to read the ebooks.

                  Ed W3NR
                • CWA
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 5, 2013

                    Thanks Ed. I was only using the term “CAT” in a generic way, it does not work for me at all because I do not have the rig definition for it. I am trying to use Hamlib. The only reason I set the fields high was because another message I read suggested it, and in my case at least it did key the rig while initializing.  Now the echo bit is something I have not done, I will try it right away. I do have the Icom set to Autodetect but I have had it set on one rate (9600) with the program set to the same and it has made no difference… but I will change it. It does work with Autodetect in Windows oddly enough.

                    I do have several old Linux reference manuals but they are most likely out of date. I will check on Amazon but my reader is the Nook HD so I guess I need to go to B&N or get a PC App from Amazon (I do have an account and my wife has an Amazon reader).

                    I really do want to get FLRIG going. You say there is one that works well but you did not mention where it is. I tried to install the one from the FLDIGI web site download page, and that was a no-go.

                    Warren – K7CWA (ex-N6WA)

                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 5, 2013
                      On 04/05/2013 09:30 PM, CWA wrote:
                      > Thanks Ed. I was only using the term "CAT" in a generic way, it does not
                      > work for me at all because I do not have the rig definition for it. I am
                      > trying to use Hamlib. The only reason I set the fields high was because
                      > another message I read suggested it, and in my case at least it did key the
                      > rig while initializing. Now the echo bit is something I have not done, I
                      > will try it right away. I do have the Icom set to Autodetect but I have had
                      > it set on one rate (9600) with the program set to the same and it has made
                      > no difference. but I will change it. It does work with Autodetect in Windows
                      > oddly enough.

                      Autobaud with the Icom is a hit or miss. It is best to select the
                      highest baud rate your rig supports and set the software the same. I
                      would suggest you try and use rigCAT, it uses xml files for rig control.

                      I worked with Dave on some odds and ends of the Icom 735 and all of the
                      xml for the TT Omni6 which uses the Icom ci-v code.

                      http://www.w1hkj.com/xmlarchives.html

                      Linux likes to open xml files in a web browser, but you can use a text
                      editor or my preference geany (its in the repository). Of course there
                      is always nano from the terminal.

                      This is the ultimate for Icom ci-v and how it all works.

                      http://www.plicht.de/ekki/civ/

                      > I do have several old Linux reference manuals but they are most likely out
                      > of date. I will check on Amazon but my reader is the Nook HD so I guess I
                      > need to go to B&N or get a PC App from Amazon (I do have an account and my
                      > wife has an Amazon reader).

                      Google "nook calibre" some good how-to's for the nook and Calibre. My
                      wife has a Kindle so I set up an Amazon account for her. I installed
                      Calibre and went to gutenburg and am reading the original version of
                      Robinson Crusoe. Next on the list are the Lewis and Clark journals. I
                      picked up Treasure Island from Amazon for free.

                      I find the great majority of Linux questions via Google, but you need to
                      be careful as some links are just Linux wannabes.

                      You will find many free ebooks for Liunx at Amazon and some for 99cents.

                      > I really do want to get FLRIG going. You say there is one that works well
                      > but you did not mention where it is. I tried to install the one from the
                      > FLDIGI web site download page, and that was a no-go.

                      http://www.w1hkj.com/download.html

                      The 1st column lists the binaries. Scroll down and you will find the one
                      for flrig. The readme right under the fldigi/flarq binary will walk you
                      through the install. You will need to edit what you want to install.

                      If you feel you can handle building from source, read over this and you
                      will need to edit what you want to install. You will still want to do
                      the build-dep fldigi, it will bring in all the libs you need to compile
                      Daves fl suite of apps.

                      https://fedorahosted.org/fldigi/wiki/Documentation/HOWTO/BuildOnDebian

                      Long day running the weed eater, time to walk the dog and call it a good
                      day.

                    • CWA
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 6, 2013

                        You are wrong, I have not tried to install the Microsoft Windows version of FLRIG, nor would I. I have only tried to install the Linux version.

                        You need to add yourself to the dialout group BEEN DONE AND I SHOW AS PART OF THE GROUP

                        https://fedorahosted.org/fldigi/wiki/Documentation/HOWTO/Serial_Port_Setup

                        You are trying to install the MS version with the .exe. Doesn't and will
                        not work. NEVER HAPPENED, NEVER WILL

                        > I want to use FLDIGI on Ubuntu but I have tried every port, and of
                        > course the correct USB0 and USB1 but cannot get communications with the
                        > radio. Again, on the same computer with no physical changes, the Windows
                        > version works with Windows, but on Ubuntu there is no communications. I
                        > don't know where to go next, so I am here asking if anyone can point me
                        > in the right direction.
                        >
                        > Warren - K7CWA

                        This is a good place to start

                        http://www.w1hkj.com/download.html

                        as well as this

                        http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp-3.21/index.html

                        or here

                        https://fedorahosted.org/fldigi/

                        Ed W3NR

                      • D.J.J. Ring, Jr.
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 6, 2013
                          There was a helper program, maybe Dave's page had one, or maybe it was over on the G4ZLP page - this one finds the CAT and Digital Interface ports on computer and I believe the baud rate of each:

                          http://www.g4zlp.co.uk/Downloads/DigiMasterUtilities/DigiMaster%20PRO/Find%20DigiMaster%20PRO.exe

                          If I remember correctly, it works under WINE.

                          G4ZLP makes excellent products by the way, listed as Linux compatible :-)

                          73

                          David
                        • Ing. Pavel Milanes Costa

                            On 04/05/2013 01:52 PM, Warren Andreasen wrote:
                            > I am running Ubunto 3.5.0.26.
                            > I have the IC-746Pro radio.
                            > I use the West Mountain Pl ug and Play interface for USB audio.
                            > I use the West Mountain RigTalk for CAT control (CI-V).
                            > I am configured for Hamlib.
                            >
                            > The system works under Windows 7 although I admit I have had to use
                            > FLRIG for reliable communication and PTT with the radio. It used to work
                            > with Hamlin but after some Windows updates, it no longer does.
                            >
                            > I have, on the same computer, loaded Ubuntu and FLDIGI. It looks like
                            > FLDIGI is working and I can receive and decode signals, however there is
                            > no CI-V communications with the radio. The frequency does not show in
                            > FLdigi and PTT does not work. The Baud rate is right and matches the radio.

                            You need to add yourself to the dialout group

                            https://fedorahosted.org/fldigi/wiki/Documentation/HOWTO/Serial_Port_Setup

                            > I tried to download FLRIG but find the Linux versio n will not run on my
                            > Ubuntu system, I get a message telling me it cannot install.

                            You are trying to install the MS version with the .exe. Doesn't and will
                            not work.

                            > I want to use FLDIGI on Ubuntu but I have tried every port, and of
                            > course the correct USB0 and USB1 but cannot get communications with the
                            > radio. Again, on the same computer with no physical changes, the Windows
                            > version works with Windows, but on Ubuntu there is no communications. I
                            > don't know where to go next, so I am here asking if anyone can point me
                            > in the right direction.
                            >
                            > Warren - K7CWA

                            This is a good place to start

                            http://www.w1hkj.com/download.html

                            as well as this

                            http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp-3.21/index.html

                            or here

                            h ttps://fedorahosted.org/fldigi/

                            Ed W3NR

                          • Edwin Hollander
                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 10, 2013
                              Some revisions of Ubuntu - specifically 12.04 keeps any normal user from accessing the serial or USB I/O ports - is part of their security model and hardware abstraction model. The version of Ubuntu in reports is critical because the model changes between major revisions.

                              To restore the CIV support through the serial port I made a script file I run when I log in to the unit that has the modes the monitor uses and the changes to the ports that the FLDIGI uses through HAMLIB.

                              The command line equivalent is:

                              sudo chmod 0777 /dev/ttyS0      {the change is only for the session the user is logged into - am using the wired serial port directly to a CI-V interface to an Icom-718}.

                              The /dev/ttyS0 portion can be changed or added as a separate line to whatever USB port that is relevant for the CI-V interface. Some experimentation is needed to determine where the interface is wanting to attach to.

                              The down side is that the changes have to be done each time the user logs in. The up side is that when the Linux environment does not do what is expected - that a user has the potential to change that environment on the fly. Since there are multiple changes that have to be done on the quad core processor motherboard  - I just put them in a script file and then execute them as a batch after login.

                              .Hope that helps,
                              Guy

                              On 04/05/2013 01:52 PM, Warren Andreasen wrote:
                              > I am running Ubunto 3.5.0.26.
                              > I have the IC-746Pro radio.
                              > I use the West Mountain Pl ug and Play interface for USB audio.
                              > I use the West Mountain RigTalk for CAT control (CI-V).
                              > I am configured for Hamlib.
                              >
                              > The system works under Windows 7 although I admit I have had to use
                              > FLRIG for reliable communication and PTT with the radio. It used to work
                              > with Hamlin but after some Windows updates, it no longer does.
                              >
                              > I have, on the same computer, loaded Ubuntu and FLDIGI. It looks like
                              > FLDIGI is working and I can receive and decode signals, however there is
                              > no CI-V communications with the radio. The frequency does not show in
                              > FLdigi and PTT does not work. The Baud rate is right and matches the radio.

                              You need to add yourself to the dialout group

                              https://fedorahosted.org/fldigi/wiki/Documentation/HOWTO/Serial_Port_Setup

                              > I tried to download FLRIG but find the Linux versio n will not run on my
                              > Ubuntu system, I get a message telling me it cannot install.

                              You are trying to install the MS version with the .exe. Doesn't and will
                              not work.

                              > I want to use FLDIGI on Ubuntu but I have tried every port, and of
                              > course the correct USB0 and USB1 but cannot get communications with the
                              > radio. Again, on the same computer with no physical changes, the Windows
                              > version works with Windows, but on Ubuntu there is no communications. I
                              > don't know where to go next, so I am here asking if anyone can point me
                              > in the right direction.
                              >
                              > Warren - K7CWA

                              This is a good place to start

                              http://www.w1hkj.com/download.html

                              as well as this

                              http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp-3.21/index.html

                              or here

                              h ttps://fedorahosted.org/fldigi/

                              Ed W3NR

                            • k7cwa
                              Message 14 of 14 , Apr 12, 2013
                                My keying problems are SOLVED. Thank you all that have tried to help me but the final answer was the newest release of Fldigi ....69 which contains a special driver for the Red Mountain RigTalk. It works! Hamlib now works and it did not before. I also downloaded and installed the Windows version and Hamlib now works on Windows too, and it would not before.

                                I am a happy camper.

                                Warren - K7CWA