[linuxham]FLDigi OSX

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 4, 2013
      Hi folks.
      An issue or two:

      I'm running OSX latest versions and FLDigi,FLRig,FLLog all latest versions on a mac pro.

      1st. I love this software and for the most part it runs great.

      2nd. The export of log files from QRZ cannot be read by FLLog. QRZ uses an older version of format. help? I need to import my logs
      from QRZ into FLLog.

      3rd. When you use OSX screen sharing (NOT VNC haven't tried that specifically. but Native OSX screen sharing. When FLDigi is up
      every time you press the shift key, cntl key, option key or command key up pops the "help about fldigi" box and then various other key strokes
      that should be tied to the alt key menu system. Now this is not a terrible problem because I don't need to use shift... I can just use macros or type lower case all the time in psk31 but look like a dorkus who can't type. This does not occur EVER without screen sharing. FLRig does not do this nor does FLLog.

      S.
    • Robert Stiles
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 4, 2013
        Sounds like a RFI issue, Transmit with the lowest power possible to verify. Either by adjust the power out on the rig or adjust the audio out to the lowest setting.

        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 5, 2013
          Better yet tune to the offending frequency and power off the signalink, make sure you have ptt cat control turn off in the configuration menu. Press the tune button. If it doesn't lock up, RFI problem you have.  You may have to buy some rfi chokes that are snapped around the cables to/from the radio, computer, and signalink interface, MFJ has some that fit around the size of rg58/rg8 coax, cost between $10-$14 for a package of four.  Finding the wire(s) responsible for the rf coupling may not be easy or possible as it can be any wire that's connected to your system. Including 120 ac lines in the house walls (primary issue with indoor antennas). Not having a proper ground is another possibility and the list goes on.  Trial and error maybe your only recourse if the rfi cable chokes don't fix the issue.

          Sounds like a RFI issue, Transmit with the lowest power possible to verify. Either by adjust the power out on the rig or adjust the audio out to the lowest setting.

          ok dave i compiled from source, same problem. i tested it on 40 meters and i didn't have a problem, it worked normally, but on 20 meters, specifically 14.070 and near, it keys up for 1 to 2 seconds, fldigi freezes, and I have to kill the process. I can start fldigi again and the same problem. I'm using PortAudio in the Sound Card config. I can't figure out if i'm doing that wrong or what...

          > On 04/04/2013 12:15 PM, PittHappens wrote:
          > > Hi Guys,
          > >
          > > I'm new to the group, but I was told about the group by a friend of mine KF5FNP about your group, that might be able to help me with a situation that I'm having.
          > >
          > > Let me first say this, with my Windows 7 laptop, I have absolutely NO problems, so to me, it limits it to OS or Software, not hardware anywhere. I have a Dell Mini 10 that I installed Lubuntu 12.10 onto...(I chose LXDE because of it's lightweight nature as the netbook only has 1GB of ram.) I can receive all day long PSK31 on FLDigi, but the second that I try to transmit anything, it keys up my radio (connected through acc port)but only for a split second and then stops transmitting. After this FLDigi freezes and is unusable until I end the process and then re-open it. This is the symptom in EACH and EVERY time that I try to TX. I've tried using the Macro's, I've tried manually typing, it happens every time... any help would be greatly appreciated.
          > >

          > Are you using the binary or did you build and install from source? It
          > sounds like you are experiencing support library issues. Building from
          > source is very easy on Lubuntu. Follow the instructions on the fldigi
          > wiki,
          > https://fedorahosted.org/fldigi/wiki/Documentation/HOWTO/Lubuntu_installation
          >
          > Dave

        • Dave B
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 5, 2013
            On 5 Apr 2013 at 9:40, linuxham@yahoogroups.com wrote:

            > Re: Lubuntu 12.10, Signalink USB, FLDigi, Icom IC-730
            > Posted by: "PittHappens" pitthappens@... ragin_cajun_tenor
            > Date: Thu Apr 4, 2013 9:56 pm ((PDT))
            >
            > ok dave i compiled from source, same problem. i tested it on 40 meters
            > and i didn't have a problem, it worked normally, but on 20 meters,
            > specifically 14.070 and near, it keys up for 1 to 2 seconds, fldigi
            > freezes, and I have to kill the process. I can start fldigi again and
            > the same problem. I'm using PortAudio in the Sound Card config. I
            > can't figure out if i'm doing that wrong or what...

            Hi...

            Does the rig have any way to inhibit TX? So that the software can do all
            it needs, and no RF get's generated?

            Can you disconnect only the TX Audio lead between the Signalink and rig?
            That would have much the same effect.

            As a check, what happens if you select the PC's own internal sound
            system, not that it's connected to anything? Can the program go into TX
            and make the appropriate noises etc, and otherwise behave OK?

            Some of us elsewhere are having odd issues with Fldigi (on Win 7) also
            with USB sound systems. I've also seen odd things in the past on Ubuntu,
            Linux Mint and Lubuntu when using USB sound devices and PortAudio
            drivers.

            For that issue, Dave W1HKJ has recomended adding '--debug-level 5' to the
            command that starts Fldigi, so that it will record a lot more internal
            process event data, including errors as it sees them.

            (You can just enter 'fldigi --debug-level 5' at the command line in a
            terminal of course, if you don't want to modify any shortcuts etc.)

            That will make Fldigi record a lot more debug informaion that can be used
            to diagnose the issue if needed. Hopefully, the file it creates will
            contain info pointing to why it locked, assuming that the file itself is
            not corrupt or deleted when Fldigi is forced closed by you ending it's
            process.

            Note, that the debug log files are stored in the main .fldigi folder
            under your home folder (set 'Show Hidden', in the file manager 'View'
            menu, to see those folders.) Each time you start Fldigi, it archives the
            previous ones so no data is lost. They are plain text files, so easy to
            look at and email.

            However, best to compress them to save space, and make sure the email
            system doesnt mangle them en-route. Note, this list DOES NOT allow
            attachments, you'll need to send them direct to Dave, but ONLY if he asks
            you to. (Best add your callsign to the filename too, as I suspect he's
            getting a few of them from other people, including myself.)

            Otherwise, like others have suggested, it sounds like RF is getting into
            the PC or signalink device, and "messing things up". It's highly
            unlikely any clip on ferrite will do much at HF, but careful grounding
            and perhaps re-routing any antenna, shack control, rig and PC power
            cables might help.

            Also, just because one PC is OK in a RF field, does not mean that another
            will be. I'm assuming the Dell Mini, is not the same machine you run
            Win7 on. Also, just having a different PC connected to the same
            interface and radio, can (and does!) change the whole ballpark, as far as
            picked up RFI goes, for the other kit.

            RFI is not the easiest problem to diagnose at any time, or fix quickly at
            HF frequencies. And as many have found, it can be a non-problem on one
            band, but causes mayhem on another, depending on how your antenna
            radiates it. (Or feeder re-radiates it inside the shack!) And how the
            equipment in the shack is cabled and what it's immunity/susceptability is
            like at those frequencies.

            Best Regards.

            Dave G0WBX.
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 5, 2013
              On 04/05/2013 12:53 AM, PittHappens wrote:
              > ok dave i compiled from source, same problem. i tested it on 40
              > meters and i didn't have a problem, it worked normally, but on 20
              > meters, specifically 14.070 and near, it keys up for 1 to 2 seconds,
              > fldigi freezes, and I have to kill the process. I can start fldigi
              > again and the same problem. I'm using PortAudio in the Sound Card
              > config. I can't figure out if i'm doing that wrong or what...

              Two suggestions, drop portaudio, install pulse and pavucontrol. Open
              Pulse Volume Contol from the Sound & Video tab and the SL will be
              identified as USB Codec. Turn off the system sounds. Set the
              input/output devices at 100% dB. Adjust the SL from there. Bottom right
              on the fldigi gui, set the value to -6.0 for 100 watts output.

              Keep in mind that the USB cable is probably unshielded and may just be
              the right length to cause a RFI problem.

              Tune to 14.070 and turn the rig off, see if the problem persisits.

              Move the SL as far from the rig as you can.

              In fldigi open the open Help > Event log, move the slider far right.If
              fldigi locks up and you need to killall, look in the /.fldigi directory
              for the status log, see if it tells you anything.

              I bought my chokes from here ::

              http://www.radiodan.com/

              Buy enough, I have then everywhere, including the SL USB cable.

              Ed W3NR
            • Marty Hartwell
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 5, 2013
                Hi
                Is this on an antenna or into a dummy load? Is it possible to test this
                using a DL, this still could be RFI. Have you tried turning down power
                out of the rig?

                Marty kd8bj
                On 04/04/2013 11:53 PM, PittHappens wrote:

                > ok dave i compiled from source, same problem. i tested it on 40 meters
                > and i didn't have a problem, it worked normally, but on 20 meters,
                > specifically 14.070 and near, it keys up for 1 to 2 seconds, fldigi
                > freezes, and I have to kill the process. I can start fldigi again and
                > the same problem. I'm using PortAudio in the Sound Card config. I
                > can't figure out if i'm doing that wrong or what...
                >
                > --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com <mailto:linuxham%40yahoogroups.com>,
                > w1hkj <w1hkj@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > On 04/04/2013 12:15 PM, PittHappens wrote:
                > > > Hi Guys,
                > > >
                > > > I'm new to the group, but I was told about the group by a friend
                > of mine KF5FNP about your group, that might be able to help me with a
                > situation that I'm having.
                > > >
                > > > Let me first say this, with my Windows 7 laptop, I have absolutely
                > NO problems, so to me, it limits it to OS or Software, not hardware
                > anywhere. I have a Dell Mini 10 that I installed Lubuntu 12.10
                > onto...(I chose LXDE because of it's lightweight nature as the netbook
                > only has 1GB of ram.) I can receive all day long PSK31 on FLDigi, but
                > the second that I try to transmit anything, it keys up my radio
                > (connected through acc port)but only for a split second and then stops
                > transmitting. After this FLDigi freezes and is unusable until I end
                > the process and then re-open it. This is the symptom in EACH and EVERY
                > time that I try to TX. I've tried using the Macro's, I've tried
                > manually typing, it happens every time... any help would be greatly
                > appreciated.
                > > >

                > > Are you using the binary or did you build and install from source? It
                > > sounds like you are experiencing support library issues. Building from
                > > source is very easy on Lubuntu. Follow the instructions on the fldigi
                > > wiki,
                > >
                > https://fedorahosted.org/fldigi/wiki/Documentation/HOWTO/Lubuntu_installation
                > >
                > > Dave

              • PittHappens
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 5, 2013
                  I think you might be right about RFI. I am at work right now, but I SSH Tunneled and port forwarded to my netbook at home. The antenna is d/c and the radio is off, but I have no problem TXing...I'm going to have to get this RFI thing under control....

                  --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Robert Stiles <kk5vd@...> wrote:

                  > Better yet tune to the offending frequency and power off the signalink, make sure you have ptt cat control turn off in the configuration menu. Press the tune button. If it doesn't lock up, RFI problem you have.  You may have to buy some rfi chokes that are snapped around the cables to/from the radio, computer, and signalink interface, MFJ has some that fit around the size of rg58/rg8 coax, cost between $10-$14 for a package of four.  Finding the wire(s) responsible for the rf coupling may not be easy or possible as it can be any wire that's connected to your system. Including 120 ac lines in the house walls (primary issue with indoor antennas). Not having a proper ground is another possibility and the list goes on.  Trial and error maybe your only recourse if the rfi cable chokes don't fix the issue.
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • Dick Kriss
                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 5, 2013
                    Steve (call not used),

                    With regards to the QRZ issue. Try using the fldigi HamQTH.com option to see if it helps with flrig.  I never could get QRZ.COM to parse correct.

                    Sorry, I don't use OSX Screen Sharing so cannot comment.  Sounds like a key mapping issue.

                    Dick AA5VU
                    OSX 10.8.3 and fldigi 3.21.68

                    =========

                    Thu Apr 4, 2013 10:24 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

                    "Steve" stecla274

                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 5, 2013
                      Dick,

                      I can get QRZ.com to parse correctly with FLDigi. I just can't get it to IMPORT log files that were exported form QRZ.
                      It's the format of the Files. QRZ uses version 4 and FLLOG uses version 5. Now if I export from FLLog and import to QRZ. QRZ figures it out.
                      but if I go from QRZ to FLLog then FLLog says there's no records in the adif file. But of course if you edit the adif file directly you can see
                      it all there formatted fine. That's where i read the version information.

                      I agree it's a mapping problem of some sort but I think it has to do with the key interrupt handler inside FLDigi.
                      Every other app I have works fine in Screen sharing. I'd love to be able to use the rig remotely without looking like I can't type.
                      Do the developers monitor this forum for bugs?

                      Steve
                      KK4NNH

                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 5, 2013
                        An update for everyone, I choked everything. It was RFI to my Signalink USB. Furthermore, through a thorough analysis of the situation, when the computer was playing the audio over the sound card, it was hitting the signalink and going out to the radio, then the RFI was overloading the signalink causing it to power down. Which then confused FLDigi and essentially reacted as though you were to have just unplugged the sound card in the middle of a transmission...

                        thank you to everyone for your help!

                        73
                        KF5SEP

                        Joshua in McKinney, TX
                        --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "PittHappens" <pitthappens@...> wrote:

                        > I think you might be right about RFI. I am at work right now, but I SSH Tunneled and port forwarded to my netbook at home. The antenna is d/c and the radio is off, but I have no problem TXing...I'm going to have to get this RFI thing under control....
                        >
                        > --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Robert Stiles <kk5vd@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Better yet tune to the offending frequency and power off the signalink, make sure you have ptt cat control turn off in the configuration menu. Press the tune button. If it doesn't lock up, RFI problem you have.  You may have to buy some rfi chokes that are snapped around the cables to/from the radio, computer, and signalink interface, MFJ has some that fit around the size of rg58/rg8 coax, cost between $10-$14 for a package of four.  Finding the wire(s) responsible for the rf coupling may not be easy or possible as it can be any wire that's connected to your system. Including 120 ac lines in the house walls (primary issue with indoor antennas). Not having a proper ground is another possibility and the list goes on.  Trial and error maybe your only recourse if the rfi cable chokes don't fix the issue.
                        > >

                        > > ________________________________

                      • Dave B
                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 6, 2013
                          On 6 Apr 2013 at 9:44, linuxham@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                          > Re: Lubuntu 12.10, Signalink USB, FLDigi, Icom IC-730
                          > Posted by: "PittHappens" pitthappens@... ragin_cajun_tenor
                          > Date: Fri Apr 5, 2013 9:36 pm ((PDT))
                          >
                          > An update for everyone, I choked everything. It was RFI to my
                          > Signalink USB. Furthermore, through a thorough analysis of the
                          > situation, when the computer was playing the audio over the sound
                          > card, it was hitting the signalink and going out to the radio, then
                          > the RFI was overloading the signalink causing it to power down. Which
                          > then confused FLDigi and essentially reacted as though you were to
                          > have just unplugged the sound card in the middle of a transmission...
                          >
                          > thank you to everyone for your help!
                          >
                          > 73
                          > KF5SEP

                          There you go!...

                          Well done that man. Now Enjoy....

                          Has to make you wonder why a device intended to be used in a Ham shack,
                          is so susceptable to RFI? It'd be interesting (but expensive) to
                          subject it to a true calibrated EMC test. I suspect it'd fail.

                          If it's got a CE mark, there should be a certificate of conformity
                          included in the documentation. That in turn should say if it was
                          "Tested" or just TCF declared. I suspect the latter, if anything...

                          The TCF route to complience, is exactly how stuff like PLT "got to
                          market". Nuff said.

                          No CE mark, means it's doubtfuly legal to import and sell into the EU
                          too...

                          73.

                          Dave G0WBX.
                        • Bill Turner, WB4ALM
                          Message 12 of 21 , Apr 8, 2013
                            response inline.

                            On 04/06/2013 07:34 AM, Dave B wrote:

                            On 6 Apr 2013 at 9:44, linuxham@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                            > Re: Lubuntu 12.10, Signalink USB, FLDigi, Icom IC-730
                            > Posted by: "PittHappens" pitthappens@... ragin_cajun_tenor
                            > Date: Fri Apr 5, 2013 9:36 pm ((PDT))
                            >
                            > An update for everyone, I choked everything. It was RFI to my
                            > Signalink USB. Furthermore, through a thorough analysis of the
                            > situation, when the computer was playing the audio over the sound
                            > card, it was hitting the signalink and going out to the radio, then
                            > the RFI was overloading the signalink causing it to power down. Which
                            > then confused FLDigi and essentially reacted as though you were to
                            > have just unplugged the sound card in the middle of a transmission...
                            >
                            > thank you to everyone for your help!
                            >
                            > 73
                            > KF5SEP

                            There you go!...

                            Well done that man. Now Enjoy....

                            Has to make you wonder why a device intended to be used in a Ham shack,
                            is so susceptable to RFI? It'd be interesting (but expensive) to
                            subject it to a true calibrated EMC test. I suspect it'd fail.

                            I use the SIGNALINK USB and have had no RFI problems.  But my Ham Shack GROUND
                            is connected to all devices in the shack, INCLUDING the COMPUTER CASE.
                            interface cables are as short as they can be, and the excess is frequently looped
                            on themselves.  So far (knock on wood), I have not had to installed ferrite beads....

                            /s/ Bill Turner, wb4alm