Re: [linuxham] Lubuntu 12.10, Signalink USB, FLDigi, Icom IC-730

  • Robert Stiles
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 4, 2013
      Turn down the output audio to the transmitter so just about nothing is transmitted out, see if it still hangs. Had that issue on 80 meter band. The radio seem to like the signalink usb antenna better then the real one. I'm sure the power making it back to the signalink was very small but enough to derail the uart.

      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 4, 2013

        Try using a dummy load instead of your antenna.

        On Apr 4, 2013 9:19 PM, "Ed" <autek@...> wrote:

        On 04/04/2013 01:15 PM, PittHappens wrote:
        > Hi Guys,
        >
        > I'm new to the group, but I was told about the group by a friend of
        > mine KF5FNP about your group, that might be able to help me with a
        > situation that I'm having.
        >
        > Let me first say this, with my Windows 7 laptop, I have absolutely NO
        > problems, so to me, it limits it to OS or Software, not hardware
        > anywhere. I have a Dell Mini 10 that I installed Lubuntu 12.10
        > onto...(I chose LXDE because of it's lightweight nature as the
        > netbook only has 1GB of ram.) I can receive all day long PSK31 on
        > FLDigi, but the second that I try to transmit anything, it keys up my
        > radio (connected through acc port)but only for a split second and
        > then stops transmitting. After this FLDigi freezes and is unusable
        > until I end the process and then re-open it. This is the symptom in
        > EACH and EVERY time that I try to TX. I've tried using the Macro's,
        > I've tried manually typing, it happens every time... any help would
        > be greatly appreciated.

        I use Lubuntu 12.10 and followed the wiki as Dave has suggested. The
        only exception is at the beginning where it talks about the sources list.

        "Open a command line terminal and enter the following sequence of
        commands
        cd /etc/apt
        sudo nano sources.list
        Insert the following at the end of the file"

        This is not needed in 12.10 as it is done when 12.10 is installed.

        Ed W3NR

      • PittHappens
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 4, 2013
          I'm pretty sure you are who I think you are...so let me say this...you are a LEGEND!!! I'm a Linux System Administrator and a Ham, you're a hero. I'm compiling from source now, it never even occurred to me, I'm a RHEL and CENTOS guy but this netbook is underpowered and i figured that the repos would work. I'll update once compiled...

          Thank you, SINCERELY

          KF5SEP - Joshua

          > On 04/04/2013 12:15 PM, PittHappens wrote:
          > > Hi Guys,
          > >
          > > I'm new to the group, but I was told about the group by a friend of mine KF5FNP about your group, that might be able to help me with a situation that I'm having.
          > >
          > > Let me first say this, with my Windows 7 laptop, I have absolutely NO problems, so to me, it limits it to OS or Software, not hardware anywhere. I have a Dell Mini 10 that I installed Lubuntu 12.10 onto...(I chose LXDE because of it's lightweight nature as the netbook only has 1GB of ram.) I can receive all day long PSK31 on FLDigi, but the second that I try to transmit anything, it keys up my radio (connected through acc port)but only for a split second and then stops transmitting. After this FLDigi freezes and is unusable until I end the process and then re-open it. This is the symptom in EACH and EVERY time that I try to TX. I've tried using the Macro's, I've tried manually typing, it happens every time... any help would be greatly appreciated.
          > >

          > Are you using the binary or did you build and install from source? It
          > sounds like you are experiencing support library issues. Building from
          > source is very easy on Lubuntu. Follow the instructions on the fldigi
          > wiki,
          > https://fedorahosted.org/fldigi/wiki/Documentation/HOWTO/Lubuntu_installation
          >
          > Dave

        • PittHappens
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 4, 2013
            ok dave i compiled from source, same problem. i tested it on 40 meters and i didn't have a problem, it worked normally, but on 20 meters, specifically 14.070 and near, it keys up for 1 to 2 seconds, fldigi freezes, and I have to kill the process. I can start fldigi again and the same problem. I'm using PortAudio in the Sound Card config. I can't figure out if i'm doing that wrong or what...

            > On 04/04/2013 12:15 PM, PittHappens wrote:
            > > Hi Guys,
            > >
            > > I'm new to the group, but I was told about the group by a friend of mine KF5FNP about your group, that might be able to help me with a situation that I'm having.
            > >
            > > Let me first say this, with my Windows 7 laptop, I have absolutely NO problems, so to me, it limits it to OS or Software, not hardware anywhere. I have a Dell Mini 10 that I installed Lubuntu 12.10 onto...(I chose LXDE because of it's lightweight nature as the netbook only has 1GB of ram.) I can receive all day long PSK31 on FLDigi, but the second that I try to transmit anything, it keys up my radio (connected through acc port)but only for a split second and then stops transmitting. After this FLDigi freezes and is unusable until I end the process and then re-open it. This is the symptom in EACH and EVERY time that I try to TX. I've tried using the Macro's, I've tried manually typing, it happens every time... any help would be greatly appreciated.
            > >

            > Are you using the binary or did you build and install from source? It
            > sounds like you are experiencing support library issues. Building from
            > source is very easy on Lubuntu. Follow the instructions on the fldigi
            > wiki,
            > https://fedorahosted.org/fldigi/wiki/Documentation/HOWTO/Lubuntu_installation
            >
            > Dave

          • PittHappens
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 4, 2013
              I don't have a dummy load to test it. Wish I did, but i turned the tx power all the way down and I have the same problem.

              --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Brian Morrison <bdm@...> wrote:

              > On Thu, 04 Apr 2013 17:15:49 -0000
              > PittHappens wrote:
              >
              > > This is the symptom in EACH and EVERY time that I try to TX. I've
              > > tried using the Macro's, I've tried manually typing, it happens every
              > > time... any help would be greatly appreciated.
              >
              > Is the radio transmitting into an antenna or not? If it still happens
              > with a dummy load then it probably is a software issue, otherwise it
              > could be down to RFI.
              >
              > --
              >
              > Brian Morrison

            • Steve
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 4, 2013
                Hi folks.
                An issue or two:

                I'm running OSX latest versions and FLDigi,FLRig,FLLog all latest versions on a mac pro.

                1st. I love this software and for the most part it runs great.

                2nd. The export of log files from QRZ cannot be read by FLLog. QRZ uses an older version of format. help? I need to import my logs
                from QRZ into FLLog.

                3rd. When you use OSX screen sharing (NOT VNC haven't tried that specifically. but Native OSX screen sharing. When FLDigi is up
                every time you press the shift key, cntl key, option key or command key up pops the "help about fldigi" box and then various other key strokes
                that should be tied to the alt key menu system. Now this is not a terrible problem because I don't need to use shift... I can just use macros or type lower case all the time in psk31 but look like a dorkus who can't type. This does not occur EVER without screen sharing. FLRig does not do this nor does FLLog.

                S.
              • Robert Stiles
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 4, 2013
                  Sounds like a RFI issue, Transmit with the lowest power possible to verify. Either by adjust the power out on the rig or adjust the audio out to the lowest setting.

                  ok dave i compiled from source, same problem. i tested it on 40 meters and i didn't have a problem, it worked normally, but on 20 meters, specifically 14.070 and near, it keys up for 1 to 2 seconds, fldigi freezes, and I have to kill the process. I can start fldigi again and the same problem. I'm using PortAudio in the Sound Card config. I can't figure out if i'm doing that wrong or what...

                  > On 04/04/2013 12:15 PM, PittHappens wrote:
                  > > Hi Guys,
                  > >
                  > > I'm new to the group, but I was told about the group by a friend of mine KF5FNP about your group, that might be able to help me with a situation that I'm having.
                  > >
                  > > Let me first say this, with my Windows 7 laptop, I have absolutely NO problems, so to me, it limits it to OS or Software, not hardware anywhere. I have a Dell Mini 10 that I installed Lubuntu 12.10 onto...(I chose LXDE because of it's lightweight nature as the netbook only has 1GB of ram.) I can receive all day long PSK31 on FLDigi, but the second that I try to transmit anything, it keys up my radio (connected through acc port)but only for a split second and then stops transmitting. After this FLDigi freezes and is unusable until I end the process and then re-open it. This is the symptom in EACH and EVERY time that I try to TX. I've tried using the Macro's, I've tried manually typing, it happens every time... any help would be greatly appreciated.
                  > >

                  > Are you using the binary or did you build and install from source? It
                  > sounds like you are experiencing support library issues. Building from
                  > source is very easy on Lubuntu. Follow the instructions on the fldigi
                  > wiki,
                  > https://fedorahosted.org/fldigi/wiki/Documentation/HOWTO/Lubuntu_installation
                  >
                  > Dave

                • Robert Stiles
                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 5, 2013
                    Better yet tune to the offending frequency and power off the signalink, make sure you have ptt cat control turn off in the configuration menu. Press the tune button. If it doesn't lock up, RFI problem you have.  You may have to buy some rfi chokes that are snapped around the cables to/from the radio, computer, and signalink interface, MFJ has some that fit around the size of rg58/rg8 coax, cost between $10-$14 for a package of four.  Finding the wire(s) responsible for the rf coupling may not be easy or possible as it can be any wire that's connected to your system. Including 120 ac lines in the house walls (primary issue with indoor antennas). Not having a proper ground is another possibility and the list goes on.  Trial and error maybe your only recourse if the rfi cable chokes don't fix the issue.

                    Sounds like a RFI issue, Transmit with the lowest power possible to verify. Either by adjust the power out on the rig or adjust the audio out to the lowest setting.

                    ok dave i compiled from source, same problem. i tested it on 40 meters and i didn't have a problem, it worked normally, but on 20 meters, specifically 14.070 and near, it keys up for 1 to 2 seconds, fldigi freezes, and I have to kill the process. I can start fldigi again and the same problem. I'm using PortAudio in the Sound Card config. I can't figure out if i'm doing that wrong or what...

                    > On 04/04/2013 12:15 PM, PittHappens wrote:
                    > > Hi Guys,
                    > >
                    > > I'm new to the group, but I was told about the group by a friend of mine KF5FNP about your group, that might be able to help me with a situation that I'm having.
                    > >
                    > > Let me first say this, with my Windows 7 laptop, I have absolutely NO problems, so to me, it limits it to OS or Software, not hardware anywhere. I have a Dell Mini 10 that I installed Lubuntu 12.10 onto...(I chose LXDE because of it's lightweight nature as the netbook only has 1GB of ram.) I can receive all day long PSK31 on FLDigi, but the second that I try to transmit anything, it keys up my radio (connected through acc port)but only for a split second and then stops transmitting. After this FLDigi freezes and is unusable until I end the process and then re-open it. This is the symptom in EACH and EVERY time that I try to TX. I've tried using the Macro's, I've tried manually typing, it happens every time... any help would be greatly appreciated.
                    > >

                    > Are you using the binary or did you build and install from source? It
                    > sounds like you are experiencing support library issues. Building from
                    > source is very easy on Lubuntu. Follow the instructions on the fldigi
                    > wiki,
                    > https://fedorahosted.org/fldigi/wiki/Documentation/HOWTO/Lubuntu_installation
                    >
                    > Dave

                  • Dave B
                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 5, 2013
                      On 5 Apr 2013 at 9:40, linuxham@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                      > Re: Lubuntu 12.10, Signalink USB, FLDigi, Icom IC-730
                      > Posted by: "PittHappens" pitthappens@... ragin_cajun_tenor
                      > Date: Thu Apr 4, 2013 9:56 pm ((PDT))
                      >
                      > ok dave i compiled from source, same problem. i tested it on 40 meters
                      > and i didn't have a problem, it worked normally, but on 20 meters,
                      > specifically 14.070 and near, it keys up for 1 to 2 seconds, fldigi
                      > freezes, and I have to kill the process. I can start fldigi again and
                      > the same problem. I'm using PortAudio in the Sound Card config. I
                      > can't figure out if i'm doing that wrong or what...

                      Hi...

                      Does the rig have any way to inhibit TX? So that the software can do all
                      it needs, and no RF get's generated?

                      Can you disconnect only the TX Audio lead between the Signalink and rig?
                      That would have much the same effect.

                      As a check, what happens if you select the PC's own internal sound
                      system, not that it's connected to anything? Can the program go into TX
                      and make the appropriate noises etc, and otherwise behave OK?

                      Some of us elsewhere are having odd issues with Fldigi (on Win 7) also
                      with USB sound systems. I've also seen odd things in the past on Ubuntu,
                      Linux Mint and Lubuntu when using USB sound devices and PortAudio
                      drivers.

                      For that issue, Dave W1HKJ has recomended adding '--debug-level 5' to the
                      command that starts Fldigi, so that it will record a lot more internal
                      process event data, including errors as it sees them.

                      (You can just enter 'fldigi --debug-level 5' at the command line in a
                      terminal of course, if you don't want to modify any shortcuts etc.)

                      That will make Fldigi record a lot more debug informaion that can be used
                      to diagnose the issue if needed. Hopefully, the file it creates will
                      contain info pointing to why it locked, assuming that the file itself is
                      not corrupt or deleted when Fldigi is forced closed by you ending it's
                      process.

                      Note, that the debug log files are stored in the main .fldigi folder
                      under your home folder (set 'Show Hidden', in the file manager 'View'
                      menu, to see those folders.) Each time you start Fldigi, it archives the
                      previous ones so no data is lost. They are plain text files, so easy to
                      look at and email.

                      However, best to compress them to save space, and make sure the email
                      system doesnt mangle them en-route. Note, this list DOES NOT allow
                      attachments, you'll need to send them direct to Dave, but ONLY if he asks
                      you to. (Best add your callsign to the filename too, as I suspect he's
                      getting a few of them from other people, including myself.)

                      Otherwise, like others have suggested, it sounds like RF is getting into
                      the PC or signalink device, and "messing things up". It's highly
                      unlikely any clip on ferrite will do much at HF, but careful grounding
                      and perhaps re-routing any antenna, shack control, rig and PC power
                      cables might help.

                      Also, just because one PC is OK in a RF field, does not mean that another
                      will be. I'm assuming the Dell Mini, is not the same machine you run
                      Win7 on. Also, just having a different PC connected to the same
                      interface and radio, can (and does!) change the whole ballpark, as far as
                      picked up RFI goes, for the other kit.

                      RFI is not the easiest problem to diagnose at any time, or fix quickly at
                      HF frequencies. And as many have found, it can be a non-problem on one
                      band, but causes mayhem on another, depending on how your antenna
                      radiates it. (Or feeder re-radiates it inside the shack!) And how the
                      equipment in the shack is cabled and what it's immunity/susceptability is
                      like at those frequencies.

                      Best Regards.

                      Dave G0WBX.
                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 5, 2013
                        On 04/05/2013 12:53 AM, PittHappens wrote:
                        > ok dave i compiled from source, same problem. i tested it on 40
                        > meters and i didn't have a problem, it worked normally, but on 20
                        > meters, specifically 14.070 and near, it keys up for 1 to 2 seconds,
                        > fldigi freezes, and I have to kill the process. I can start fldigi
                        > again and the same problem. I'm using PortAudio in the Sound Card
                        > config. I can't figure out if i'm doing that wrong or what...

                        Two suggestions, drop portaudio, install pulse and pavucontrol. Open
                        Pulse Volume Contol from the Sound & Video tab and the SL will be
                        identified as USB Codec. Turn off the system sounds. Set the
                        input/output devices at 100% dB. Adjust the SL from there. Bottom right
                        on the fldigi gui, set the value to -6.0 for 100 watts output.

                        Keep in mind that the USB cable is probably unshielded and may just be
                        the right length to cause a RFI problem.

                        Tune to 14.070 and turn the rig off, see if the problem persisits.

                        Move the SL as far from the rig as you can.

                        In fldigi open the open Help > Event log, move the slider far right.If
                        fldigi locks up and you need to killall, look in the /.fldigi directory
                        for the status log, see if it tells you anything.

                        I bought my chokes from here ::

                        http://www.radiodan.com/

                        Buy enough, I have then everywhere, including the SL USB cable.

                        Ed W3NR
                      • Marty Hartwell
                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 5, 2013
                          Hi
                          Is this on an antenna or into a dummy load? Is it possible to test this
                          using a DL, this still could be RFI. Have you tried turning down power
                          out of the rig?

                          Marty kd8bj
                          On 04/04/2013 11:53 PM, PittHappens wrote:

                          > ok dave i compiled from source, same problem. i tested it on 40 meters
                          > and i didn't have a problem, it worked normally, but on 20 meters,
                          > specifically 14.070 and near, it keys up for 1 to 2 seconds, fldigi
                          > freezes, and I have to kill the process. I can start fldigi again and
                          > the same problem. I'm using PortAudio in the Sound Card config. I
                          > can't figure out if i'm doing that wrong or what...
                          >
                          > --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com <mailto:linuxham%40yahoogroups.com>,
                          > w1hkj <w1hkj@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > On 04/04/2013 12:15 PM, PittHappens wrote:
                          > > > Hi Guys,
                          > > >
                          > > > I'm new to the group, but I was told about the group by a friend
                          > of mine KF5FNP about your group, that might be able to help me with a
                          > situation that I'm having.
                          > > >
                          > > > Let me first say this, with my Windows 7 laptop, I have absolutely
                          > NO problems, so to me, it limits it to OS or Software, not hardware
                          > anywhere. I have a Dell Mini 10 that I installed Lubuntu 12.10
                          > onto...(I chose LXDE because of it's lightweight nature as the netbook
                          > only has 1GB of ram.) I can receive all day long PSK31 on FLDigi, but
                          > the second that I try to transmit anything, it keys up my radio
                          > (connected through acc port)but only for a split second and then stops
                          > transmitting. After this FLDigi freezes and is unusable until I end
                          > the process and then re-open it. This is the symptom in EACH and EVERY
                          > time that I try to TX. I've tried using the Macro's, I've tried
                          > manually typing, it happens every time... any help would be greatly
                          > appreciated.
                          > > >

                          > > Are you using the binary or did you build and install from source? It
                          > > sounds like you are experiencing support library issues. Building from
                          > > source is very easy on Lubuntu. Follow the instructions on the fldigi
                          > > wiki,
                          > >
                          > https://fedorahosted.org/fldigi/wiki/Documentation/HOWTO/Lubuntu_installation
                          > >
                          > > Dave

                        • PittHappens
                          Message 12 of 21 , Apr 5, 2013
                            I think you might be right about RFI. I am at work right now, but I SSH Tunneled and port forwarded to my netbook at home. The antenna is d/c and the radio is off, but I have no problem TXing...I'm going to have to get this RFI thing under control....

                            --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Robert Stiles <kk5vd@...> wrote:

                            > Better yet tune to the offending frequency and power off the signalink, make sure you have ptt cat control turn off in the configuration menu. Press the tune button. If it doesn't lock up, RFI problem you have.  You may have to buy some rfi chokes that are snapped around the cables to/from the radio, computer, and signalink interface, MFJ has some that fit around the size of rg58/rg8 coax, cost between $10-$14 for a package of four.  Finding the wire(s) responsible for the rf coupling may not be easy or possible as it can be any wire that's connected to your system. Including 120 ac lines in the house walls (primary issue with indoor antennas). Not having a proper ground is another possibility and the list goes on.  Trial and error maybe your only recourse if the rfi cable chokes don't fix the issue.
                            >

                            > ________________________________

                          • Dick Kriss
                            Message 13 of 21 , Apr 5, 2013
                              Steve (call not used),

                              With regards to the QRZ issue. Try using the fldigi HamQTH.com option to see if it helps with flrig.  I never could get QRZ.COM to parse correct.

                              Sorry, I don't use OSX Screen Sharing so cannot comment.  Sounds like a key mapping issue.

                              Dick AA5VU
                              OSX 10.8.3 and fldigi 3.21.68

                              =========

                              Thu Apr 4, 2013 10:24 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

                              "Steve" stecla274

                              Message 14 of 21 , Apr 5, 2013
                                Dick,

                                I can get QRZ.com to parse correctly with FLDigi. I just can't get it to IMPORT log files that were exported form QRZ.
                                It's the format of the Files. QRZ uses version 4 and FLLOG uses version 5. Now if I export from FLLog and import to QRZ. QRZ figures it out.
                                but if I go from QRZ to FLLog then FLLog says there's no records in the adif file. But of course if you edit the adif file directly you can see
                                it all there formatted fine. That's where i read the version information.

                                I agree it's a mapping problem of some sort but I think it has to do with the key interrupt handler inside FLDigi.
                                Every other app I have works fine in Screen sharing. I'd love to be able to use the rig remotely without looking like I can't type.
                                Do the developers monitor this forum for bugs?

                                Steve
                                KK4NNH

                                Message 15 of 21 , Apr 5, 2013
                                  An update for everyone, I choked everything. It was RFI to my Signalink USB. Furthermore, through a thorough analysis of the situation, when the computer was playing the audio over the sound card, it was hitting the signalink and going out to the radio, then the RFI was overloading the signalink causing it to power down. Which then confused FLDigi and essentially reacted as though you were to have just unplugged the sound card in the middle of a transmission...

                                  thank you to everyone for your help!

                                  73
                                  KF5SEP

                                  Joshua in McKinney, TX
                                  --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "PittHappens" <pitthappens@...> wrote:

                                  > I think you might be right about RFI. I am at work right now, but I SSH Tunneled and port forwarded to my netbook at home. The antenna is d/c and the radio is off, but I have no problem TXing...I'm going to have to get this RFI thing under control....
                                  >
                                  > --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Robert Stiles <kk5vd@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Better yet tune to the offending frequency and power off the signalink, make sure you have ptt cat control turn off in the configuration menu. Press the tune button. If it doesn't lock up, RFI problem you have.  You may have to buy some rfi chokes that are snapped around the cables to/from the radio, computer, and signalink interface, MFJ has some that fit around the size of rg58/rg8 coax, cost between $10-$14 for a package of four.  Finding the wire(s) responsible for the rf coupling may not be easy or possible as it can be any wire that's connected to your system. Including 120 ac lines in the house walls (primary issue with indoor antennas). Not having a proper ground is another possibility and the list goes on.  Trial and error maybe your only recourse if the rfi cable chokes don't fix the issue.
                                  > >

                                  > > ________________________________

                                • Dave B
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Apr 6, 2013
                                    On 6 Apr 2013 at 9:44, linuxham@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                                    > Re: Lubuntu 12.10, Signalink USB, FLDigi, Icom IC-730
                                    > Posted by: "PittHappens" pitthappens@... ragin_cajun_tenor
                                    > Date: Fri Apr 5, 2013 9:36 pm ((PDT))
                                    >
                                    > An update for everyone, I choked everything. It was RFI to my
                                    > Signalink USB. Furthermore, through a thorough analysis of the
                                    > situation, when the computer was playing the audio over the sound
                                    > card, it was hitting the signalink and going out to the radio, then
                                    > the RFI was overloading the signalink causing it to power down. Which
                                    > then confused FLDigi and essentially reacted as though you were to
                                    > have just unplugged the sound card in the middle of a transmission...
                                    >
                                    > thank you to everyone for your help!
                                    >
                                    > 73
                                    > KF5SEP

                                    There you go!...

                                    Well done that man. Now Enjoy....

                                    Has to make you wonder why a device intended to be used in a Ham shack,
                                    is so susceptable to RFI? It'd be interesting (but expensive) to
                                    subject it to a true calibrated EMC test. I suspect it'd fail.

                                    If it's got a CE mark, there should be a certificate of conformity
                                    included in the documentation. That in turn should say if it was
                                    "Tested" or just TCF declared. I suspect the latter, if anything...

                                    The TCF route to complience, is exactly how stuff like PLT "got to
                                    market". Nuff said.

                                    No CE mark, means it's doubtfuly legal to import and sell into the EU
                                    too...

                                    73.

                                    Dave G0WBX.
                                  • Bill Turner, WB4ALM
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Apr 8, 2013
                                      response inline.

                                      On 04/06/2013 07:34 AM, Dave B wrote:

                                      On 6 Apr 2013 at 9:44, linuxham@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                                      > Re: Lubuntu 12.10, Signalink USB, FLDigi, Icom IC-730
                                      > Posted by: "PittHappens" pitthappens@... ragin_cajun_tenor
                                      > Date: Fri Apr 5, 2013 9:36 pm ((PDT))
                                      >
                                      > An update for everyone, I choked everything. It was RFI to my
                                      > Signalink USB. Furthermore, through a thorough analysis of the
                                      > situation, when the computer was playing the audio over the sound
                                      > card, it was hitting the signalink and going out to the radio, then
                                      > the RFI was overloading the signalink causing it to power down. Which
                                      > then confused FLDigi and essentially reacted as though you were to
                                      > have just unplugged the sound card in the middle of a transmission...
                                      >
                                      > thank you to everyone for your help!
                                      >
                                      > 73
                                      > KF5SEP

                                      There you go!...

                                      Well done that man. Now Enjoy....

                                      Has to make you wonder why a device intended to be used in a Ham shack,
                                      is so susceptable to RFI? It'd be interesting (but expensive) to
                                      subject it to a true calibrated EMC test. I suspect it'd fail.

                                      I use the SIGNALINK USB and have had no RFI problems.  But my Ham Shack GROUND
                                      is connected to all devices in the shack, INCLUDING the COMPUTER CASE.
                                      interface cables are as short as they can be, and the excess is frequently looped
                                      on themselves.  So far (knock on wood), I have not had to installed ferrite beads....

                                      /s/ Bill Turner, wb4alm