Re: [linuxham] Re: Looking for Roger Beever G6CKR

  • Remi Chateauneu
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 4, 2013
      Le 04.04.2013 17:39, Jan a écrit :

      --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Remi Chateauneu <rchateauneu@...> wrote:

      > Question about UI-View, please.
      >
      > "the
      > source code for the program was destroyed, making impossible changes or updates
      > to the final version 2.03
      > of the program installer."
      >
      > http://www.wa8lmf.net/aprs/UIview_Notes.htm
      >
      > Is it true ?

      This is true, and it was done according to the author G4IDE' wish at his death bed.
      However, the program has been working in its 2004 version all nine years since that, and the community in the UI-View group is the main support team for new and old users.

      I will now leave this linuxham group, and I suggest that interested APRS users join the UI-View group here at yahoogroups.

      Surprising decision, it would have helped a lot to release the sources, or give them to any Charity.

      I was also a UI-View user ( http://g4ide.ham-radio.ch/BookOfCondolence.pdf ), but it seems fair to say that, nine years later, approximately the same features can be provided with Xastir + Soundmodem + AnyDecentLinuxDistro, all open-source and free programs.

      Now, let's wait some more years. Soon, it will only run on unsupported versions of Windows, and obsolete hardware. Very interesting indeed !