Log to Aether Script

  • al7cr
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 2, 2013
      I simply can not get this script to function. I have installed the latest Python (3.2) into OS X 10.6 I have followed the instructions to the letter. I have used the debug switch in the command. It appears to send data however Aether recieves nothing.

      Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this problem would be much appreciated.
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 2, 2013
        On 04/02/2013 02:45 PM, al7cr wrote:
        > I simply can not get this script to function. I have installed the
        > latest Python (3.2) into OS X 10.6 I have followed the instructions
        > to the letter. I have used the debug switch in the command. It
        > appears to send data however Aether recieves nothing.
        >
        > Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this problem would be much
        > appreciated.

        What script are you talking about ?

        Ed W3NR
      • al7cr
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 2, 2013
          Oops, sorry. the Fldigi log to Aether Script.

          > On 04/02/2013 02:45 PM, al7cr wrote:
          > > I simply can not get this script to function. I have installed the
          > > latest Python (3.2) into OS X 10.6 I have followed the instructions
          > > to the letter. I have used the debug switch in the command. It
          > > appears to send data however Aether recieves nothing.
          > >
          > > Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this problem would be much
          > > appreciated.
          > >

          > What script are you talking about ?
          >
          > Ed W3NR

        • al7cr
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 2, 2013

            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 2, 2013
              On 04/02/2013 02:45 PM, al7cr wrote:
              > I simply can not get this script to function. I have installed the
              > latest Python (3.2) into OS X 10.6 I have followed the instructions
              > to the letter. I have used the debug switch in the command. It
              > appears to send data however Aether recieves nothing.
              >
              > Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this problem would be much
              > appreciated.

              Is this the script you are using ?

              <EXEC>$HOME/.fldigi/scripts/fldigi-aether-logger.py & </EXEC>

              Is it in the /.fldigi/scripts directory ? Have you made it executable ?

              Ed W3NR
            • Dick Kriss
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 2, 2013
                 I typed AL7CR in fldigi-3.21.68, opened Aether and clicked on my Log to Aether Macro in fldigi

                <EXEC>$HOME/.fldigi/scripts/fldigi-aether-logger.py & </EXEC>

                and it logged the QSO to Aether.  The above fldigi script works FB with OSX 10.8.3 and I have no idea what Python is installed.

                Dick AA5VU

                Tue Apr 2, 2013 11:45 am (PDT) . Posted by:

                "al7cr" al7cr

                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 2, 2013
                  I assume folks are attempting to be helpful but ...

                  YES I have followed the instructions as I stated in my initial post

                  NO Simply entering the proper command does not work in my system. I am aware this works for others.

                  My question, was and is, how to troubleshoot when the command does NOT work. If anyone can help I would appreciate it. To those of you for whom the command works ... good for you.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 2, 2013
                    On 04/02/2013 08:43 PM, al7cr wrote:

                    > I assume folks are attempting to be helpful but ...
                    >
                    > YES I have followed the instructions as I stated in my initial post
                    >
                    > NO Simply entering the proper command does not work in my system. I
                    > am aware this works for others.

                    You do not enter the command anywhere. It is contained within a macro.

                    > My question, was and is, how to troubleshoot when the command does
                    > NOT work. If anyone can help I would appreciate it. To those of you
                    > for whom the command works ... good for you. --- In
                    > linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "al7cr" <al7cr@...> wrote:

                    There is no troubleshooting. You simply have not correctly set up the
                    macro to call the script.

                    >> I simply can not get this script to function. I have installed the
                    >> latest Python (3.2) into OS X 10.6 I have followed the
                    >> instructions to the letter. I have used the debug switch in the
                    >> command. It appears to send data however Aether recieves nothing.
                    >>
                    >> Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this problem would be much
                    >> appreciated.

                    Try reading the Help file as it pertains to scripts,

                    http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp-3.21/execmacro.html

                    Ed W3NR
                  • al7cr
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 2, 2013
                      The following command issued from the command line opens Aether and creates a blank log entry:

                      python /Users/djs/.fldigi/scripts/fldigi-aether-logger.py &

                      The following macro run from within fldigi does nothing:

                      <EXEC>$HOME/.fldigi/scripts/fldigi-aether-logger.py & </EXEC>

                      A macro with an explicit path to the script also does nothing:

                      <EXEC>/Users/djs/.fldigi/scripts/fldigi-aether-logger.py & </EXEC>

                      The following macro executed from within fldigi works as expected:

                      <EXEC>env | grep FLDIGI</EXEC>

                      A permissions problem perhaps? The script permissions are set to 755 and repair permissions has been run in disk utility

                      AL7CR

                      > On 04/02/2013 08:43 PM, al7cr wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I assume folks are attempting to be helpful but ...
                      > >
                      > > YES I have followed the instructions as I stated in my initial post
                      > >
                      > > NO Simply entering the proper command does not work in my system. I
                      > > am aware this works for others.
                      >

                      > You do not enter the command anywhere. It is contained within a macro.
                      >

                      > > My question, was and is, how to troubleshoot when the command does
                      > > NOT work. If anyone can help I would appreciate it. To those of you
                      > > for whom the command works ... good for you. --- In
                      > > linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "al7cr" <al7cr@> wrote:
                      >
                      > There is no troubleshooting. You simply have not correctly set up the
                      > macro to call the script.
                      >

                      > >> I simply can not get this script to function. I have installed the
                      > >> latest Python (3.2) into OS X 10.6 I have followed the
                      > >> instructions to the letter. I have used the debug switch in the
                      > >> command. It appears to send data however Aether recieves nothing.
                      > >>
                      > >> Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this problem would be much
                      > >> appreciated.
                      >
                      > Try reading the Help file as it pertains to scripts,
                      >
                      > http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp-3.21/execmacro.html
                      >

                      > Ed W3NR

                    • Robert Stiles
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 3, 2013
                        Try this
                        <EXEC>python $HOME/.fldigi/scripts/fldigi-aether-logger.py & </EXEC>
                        currenty
                        <EXEC>$HOME/.fldigi/scripts/fldigi-aether-logger.py & </EXEC>

                        The following command issued from the command line opens Aether and creates a blank log entry:

                        python /Users/djs/.fldigi/scripts/fldigi-aether-logger.py &

                        The following macro run from within fldigi does nothing:

                        <EXEC>$HOME/.fldigi/scripts/fldigi-aether-logger.py & </EXEC>

                        A macro with an explicit path to the script also does nothing:

                        <EXEC>/Users/djs/.fldigi/scripts/fldigi-aether-logger.py & </EXEC>

                        The following macro executed from within fldigi works as expected:

                        <EXEC>env | grep FLDIGI</EXEC>

                        A permissions problem perhaps? The script permissions are set to 755 and repair permissions has been run in disk utility

                        AL7CR

                        > On 04/02/2013 08:43 PM, al7cr wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I assume folks are attempting to be helpful but ...
                        > >
                        > > YES I have followed the instructions as I stated in my initial post
                        > >
                        > > NO Simply entering the proper command does not work in my system. I
                        > > am aware this works for others.
                        >

                        > You do not enter the command anywhere. It is contained within a macro.
                        >

                        > > My question, was and is, how to troubleshoot when the command does
                        > > NOT work. If anyone can help I would appreciate it. To those of you
                        > > for whom the command works ... good for you. --- In
                        > > linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "al7cr" <al7cr@> wrote:
                        >
                        > There is no troubleshooting. You simply have not correctly set up the
                        > macro to call the script.
                        >

                        > >> I simply can not get this script to function. I have installed the
                        > >> latest Python (3.2) into OS X 10.6 I have followed the
                        > >> instructions to the letter. I have used the debug switch in the
                        > >> command. It appears to send data however Aether recieves nothing.
                        > >>
                        > >> Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this problem would be much
                        > >> appreciated.
                        >
                        > Try reading the Help file as it pertains to scripts,
                        >
                        > http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp-3.21/execmacro.html
                        >

                        > Ed W3NR

                      • Dick Kriss
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 4, 2013
                          Dean AL7CR,

                          Sorry, I cannot duplicate the issue. I just typed your call into fldigi, did a fldigi lookup via HamQTH.com and then clicked on my "Log to Aether" macro. Your call with all of the data was logged to Aether. I had both fldigi and Aeter running before starting.

                          I personally do not use the "Log to Aether" option. I log everything in the fldigi Logbook, then export to Aether every few days.  The fldigi "Log to Aether" macro and script works fine under OSX 10.8.3 with fldigi-3.21.68.

                          Dick AA5VU

                          Wed Apr 3, 2013 4:13 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

                          "al7cr" al7cr

                          I have done some rather extensive testing of this script on several machines using several combinations of OS X version, Fldigi version, and Aether version. I have what at least to me are interesting results.

                          On my Snow Leopard machine using my current installation of OS X 10.6.8, Fldigi 3.21.68, and Aether 1.5.12 neither the python or the suggested Applescript script ever work. However, the python script DOES work with this software combination, with the below discussed limitations, if installed from scratch. Hence there is obviously some corruption somewhere in my current system. Sadly I was never able to get the Applescript script to ever function.

                          The limitation to the operation of the script is that one must NOT lookup call data by any method in Fldigi prior to running the Log to Aether script. If this is done the Log to Aether Script fails. If one does not run any Fldigi logbook lookup then the Log to Aether script works as advertised.

                          Why would you look up data in Fldigi prior to logging in Aether? My reason is to fill the data fields so that I have info for my macros to function, such as my contacts name and QTH. This limitation makes the script useless for my style of operation.

                          I do not mean to criticize the work of the ham who developed the script to help folks integrate the programs. I simply find the way the programs interact as very strange from my point of view. It would never have occurred to me that this was why the script was failing in a new installation. I only found this difficulty after a lot of testing.

                          My thanks to those who gave assistance to me. I will return to using the very nice Fldigi logbook while making contacts and simply importing them via ADIF to Aether once in a while.