Order of Startup?

  • James Shaw
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 31, 2013

      The way I’m configured both Fldigi and Flrig are connecting to my FT-874’s CAT port via a null-USB modem on Com Port 6.  (Eventually, I’ll be having DXLab sharing Port 6 too.)

      At first I started Fldigi then Flrig.  Flrig would not connect to the rig, only to Fldigi.  Thus Flrig was not controlling my rig.

      Reversing the startup order flrig, then fldigi got things working OK.

      Nothing in the help files warned me about this.  So, is this the way I’m supposed to start up these apps?

      BTW:  The help files are outdated and only loosely relate to the current software.  Just thought bombs to get one thinking correctly, but not enough to provide confidence in what one is doing.  Thus the important need for the support one gets in this group.

      Thanks guys,

      Jim

      73

    • Dave Wright
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 31, 2013
        Jim,

        I'm not sure which help files you are talking about, but I've always found the online help to be very well done, ESPECIALLY for Fldigi.  Are you sure you were on the right page?  http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp-3.21/index.html

        I always start Flrig first, but supposedly the startup order doesn't matter if it is all configured according to the directions listed here: http://www.w1hkj.com/flrig-help/index.html

        There are links to completely up-to-date help files for each program on the downloads page.

        Remember, to use Fldigi and Flrig together, you need to make some changes in Fldigi as well, as detailed in the following paragraphs on that page:

        Operating flrig with fldigi requires a simple setup in fldigi.  Deselect all but the "xmlrpc" rig control.  Xmlrpc is used via a local socket device for the two programs to communicate.  fldigi acts as the server and flrig the client.  There is no requirement for start / stop ordering of the programs.

        Flrig sends rig configuration data to fldigi when the two programs initially recognize each other.  This data is used to populate the rig name, the available modes and the available bandwidths.

        After this initial communications the operator can set the paired controls from either fldigi or flrig.  The two programs will remain sychronized.  The data from the computer to the transceiver is always from flrig.

        Perhaps I'm just used to the Fldigi way of things and I find the instructions easy to follow, perhaps it is just me.

        I'm glad you got it working.

        --
        Dave Wright
        K3DCW

        "Real radio bounces off of the sky"

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 31, 2013
          On 03/31/2013 12:11 PM, James Shaw wrote:
          > The way I'm configured both Fldigi and Flrig are connecting to my FT-874's
          > CAT port via a null-USB modem on Com Port 6. (Eventually, I'll be having
          > DXLab sharing Port 6 too.)

          > At first I started Fldigi then Flrig. Flrig would not connect to the rig,
          > only to Fldigi. Thus Flrig was not controlling my rig.

          > Reversing the startup order flrig, then fldigi got things working OK.

          Good, sounds reasonable.

          > Nothing in the help files warned me about this. So, is this the way I'm
          > supposed to start up these apps?

          Probably since you are about the only one that is using a null modem for
          rig control. If you want rig control to work, then yes.

          When flrig first appeared you had to open fldigi, then flrig. But that
          was fixed a few years ago, now it deosn't matter.

          > BTW: The help files are outdated and only loosely relate to the current
          > software. Just thought bombs to get one thinking correctly, but not enough
          > to provide confidence in what one is doing. Thus the important need for the
          > support one gets in this group.

          I'm sure Dave W1HKJ would apprciate any and all help in updating the
          Help files, especially since it is basically a one man show.

          > Thanks guys,

          Your welcome

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 31, 2013

            > BTW: The help files are outdated and only loosely relate to the current
            > software. Just thought bombs to get one thinking correctly, but not enough
            > to provide confidence in what one is doing. Thus the important need for the
            > support one gets in this group.

            I just re-read the rig control Help file. It is fully up to date and
            correct, as is the Help file for flrig.

            Can you be specific as to what part of the Help file is just loosely
            related to fldigi's opeartion.

            Thanks

            Ed W3NR
          • James Shaw
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 31, 2013

              Ed and Dave;

              Please!  I meant, and still mean, no disrespect to your efforts on the help files. I’ve written help files myself and I know how difficult it is to keep them current with fast moving technology.  Yours are very good.  However, I was confused a bit as I tried to configure the software.

              Per your request, here are a few areas of opportunity to enhance the value of the help files from my perspective:

              In flrig:

              ·         Tell the user to read his rig’s operating manual in the area of available CAT controls and functions. I should have done this so I would know what to reasonably expect of the software.  I did not realize that flrig was greying out the unsupported controls in the wide view and eliminating them in the  narrow view.  Therefore, (once I selected my rig) the images in the help file no longer matched up with what I was seeing.  BTW:  the s-meter and P-meter tracking is not supported, yet they were not greyed out.  That’s’ ok now, but in hindsight it added to my confusion.  (If they weren’t supported but there, where were the other greyed out controls in the narrow view? Shouldn’t they be there too?)

              ·         I was configuring flrig while fldigi was running.  Fldigi had control of Com 6 so Com 6 did not show up in the flrig I/O Ports Ser. Port dropdown list Therefore I could not select it.  It only became available when for the  heck of it, I shut down fldigi.  Once I got com 6 specified in flrig, things began to happen on my rig.

              ·         The statement in flrig help: “Flrig is a transceiver control program designed to be used either stand alone or as an adjunct to fldigi” could be expanded a bit.  I now think I was trying to use flrig as a standalone while fldigi was minimized and some flrig controls weren’t having any visible  effect on my rig.  But then flrig didn’t have access to Com 6.  Perhaps the term ‘adjunct’ could be clarified or its implications at config time be made a bit more explicit?

              ·         Initially, when I fired up flrig and made sure ‘tool tips’ was selected, I was not getting any tool tips.  Therefore, I was having trouble related the tool to the help text.  I don’t know why, but eventually the tips came on and so did my understanding of the  tools.  At first I didn’t know just what effect to expect with the tool for I had lost confidence in my intuitive understanding the buttons when no effect was evident, even in the ‘Event’ log.

              ·         Just out of curiosity, what event types are reported and which events are not reported in the Event Log?  The help file says: “ It allows you to view the serial and xmlrpc data exchanges between flrig, fldigi, and the transceiver.”  However, events like clicking on some controls such as PPT & VfoA are not reported even though the transceiver does react to them.

              ·         I think more text on how to use fldigi and flrig, and Flmsg together in an operating scenario.  I’m still not sure when I have these three up on my  screen, what your vision is on how I go about handling  (sending, receiving, logging) messages. How do I put them together in a script?   Where do I go first?  Where do I do what? A sample script of such at a higher level would be great.  The documentation at the package level is very good, like instructions on playing individual musical instruments, but where is the documentation for the orchestra conductor on how to perform a Brahms’s Lullaby? Terms like “client/server” and “adjunct” don’t do this for me.

              FLxxx suite is a tremendous application and I truly recognize the talent and effort it took to bring it into existence.  My earlier criticisms were meant only to show that I was really trying to use the help files before coming to the group with questions.  Too often, users don’t bother to read the manuals and help files;  they just rely on group members to support them with answers. I know I’m asking a lot of questions.   Some of the issues are a result my short comings;  I’m new to the fldigi  world of communication.

              I hope we are still friends.

              73

              Jim

              On 03/31/2013 12:11 PM, James Shaw wrote:

              > The way I'm configured both Fldigi and Flrig are connecting to my FT-874's
              > CAT port via a null-USB modem on Com Port 6. (Eventually, I'll be having
              > DXLab sharing Port 6 too.)

              > At first I started Fldigi then Flrig. Flrig would not connect to the rig,
              > only to Fldigi. Thus Flrig was not controlling my rig.

              > Reversing the startup order flrig, then fldigi got things working OK.

              Good, sounds reasonable.

              > Nothing in the help files warned me about this. So, is this the way I'm
              > supposed to start up these apps?

              Probably since you are about the only one that is using a null modem for
              rig control. If you want rig control to work, then yes.

              When flrig first appeared you had to open fldigi, then flrig. But that
              was fixed a few years ago, now it deosn't matter.

              > BTW: The help files are outdated and only loosely relate to the current
              > software. Just thought bombs to get one thinking correctly, but not enough
              > to provide confidence in what one is doing. Thus the important need for the
              > support one gets in this group.

              I'm sure Dave W1HKJ would apprciate any and all help in updating the
              Help files, especially since it is basically a one man show.

              > Thanks guys,

              Your welcome

              Ed W3NR

            • davidflad@ymail.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 31, 2013
                Hi all,

                I apologize if this has a simple solution, but I just could not seem to noodle it out. I have an FT897D with the bolt-on tuner. I have been successful getting a SignalLink USB connected for receipt and transmission using fldigi, but I'd like to get the radio working with and communicating to flrig as well.

                As near as I can tell, with the TUNER connected, the CAT port is fully occupied, so there is no chance to connect a USB/Serial cable for flrig control. I saw something that suggested it's possible to use the mic jack for control, but I assume this would leave me with only fldigi/flrig for communication (i.e. no phone).

                If someone would confirm if my last statement above is correct, then I'll adjust my thinking about operating and rig control. If there is a way to "have it all", I'd appreciate the advice.
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 31, 2013
                  On 03/31/2013 02:59 PM, James Shaw wrote:

                  BIG SNIP !!!

                  > In flrig:
                  >
                  > . Tell the user to read his rig's operating manual in the area of
                  > available CAT controls and functions. I should have done this so I would
                  > know what to reasonably expect of the software. I did not realize that
                  > flrig was greying out the unsupported controls in the wide view and
                  > eliminating them in the narrow view. Therefore, (once I selected my rig)
                  > the images in the help file no longer matched up with what I was seeing.
                  > BTW: the s-meter and P-meter tracking is not supported, yet they were not
                  > greyed out. That's' ok now, but in hindsight it added to my confusion. (If
                  > they weren't supported but there, where were the other greyed out controls
                  > in the narrow view? Shouldn't they be there too?)

                  Consult your rig manual and provide Dave with the needed statements to
                  support these items. Remember he relies on you the user for input.

                  You are the 1st person in months that actually have read the Help files
                  before they posted here.

                  > . I was configuring flrig while fldigi was running. Fldigi had
                  > control of Com 6 so Com 6 did not show up in the flrig I/O Ports Ser. Port
                  > dropdown list Therefore I could not select it. It only became available
                  > when for the heck of it, I shut down fldigi. Once I got com 6 specified in
                  > flrig, things began to happen on my rig.

                  As you found out, nope that ain't gonna work.

                  > . The statement in flrig help: "Flrig is a transceiver control
                  > program designed to be used either stand alone or as an adjunct to fldigi"
                  > could be expanded a bit. I now think I was trying to use flrig as a
                  > standalone while fldigi was minimized and some flrig controls weren't having
                  > any visible effect on my rig. But then flrig didn't have access to Com 6.
                  > Perhaps the term 'adjunct' could be clarified or its implications at config
                  > time be made a bit more explicit?

                  Why don't you document your work and put it on the WIKI ? Then it could
                  be referenced by everyone.

                  > . Initially, when I fired up flrig and made sure 'tool tips' was
                  > selected, I was not getting any tool tips. Therefore, I was having trouble
                  > related the tool to the help text. I don't know why, but eventually the
                  > tips came on and so did my understanding of the tools. At first I didn't
                  > know just what effect to expect with the tool for I had lost confidence in
                  > my intuitive understanding the buttons when no effect was evident, even in
                  > the 'Event' log.
                  >
                  > . Just out of curiosity, what event types are reported and which
                  > events are not reported in the Event Log? The help file says: " It allows
                  > you to view the serial and xmlrpc data exchanges between flrig, fldigi, and
                  > the transceiver." However, events like clicking on some controls such as
                  > PPT & VfoA are not reported even though the transceiver does react to them.

                  Move the slider clear to the right. I only used the tooltips to test the
                  original flrig release. But maybe a simple close/open might work.

                  > . I think more text on how to use fldigi and flrig, and Flmsg
                  > together in an operating scenario. I'm still not sure when I have these
                  > three up on my screen, what your vision is on how I go about handling
                  > (sending, receiving, logging) messages. How do I put them together in a
                  > script? Where do I go first? Where do I do what? A sample script of such
                  > at a higher level would be great. The documentation at the package level is
                  > very good, like instructions on playing individual musical instruments, but
                  > where is the documentation for the orchestra conductor on how to perform a
                  > Brahms's Lullaby? Terms like "client/server" and "adjunct" don't do this for
                  > me.

                  You need to join the NBEMS yahoo group. This is the know all/do all list
                  for all of Dave's flsuite for emcomm use.

                  > FLxxx suite is a tremendous application and I truly recognize the talent and
                  > effort it took to bring it into existence. My earlier criticisms were meant
                  > only to show that I was really trying to use the help files before coming to
                  > the group with questions. Too often, users don't bother to read the manuals
                  > and help files; they just rely on group members to support them with
                  > answers. I know I'm asking a lot of questions. Some of the issues are a
                  > result my short comings; I'm new to the fldigi world of communication.

                  You were not criticizing, just reporting your findings and what you
                  thought would or could need improvement.

                  Stick around, it gets better as time goes by. I should know, i've been
                  around since 2006 (I think).

                  Ed W3NR
                • Dave B
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 1, 2013
                    On 31 Mar 2013 at 18:11, linuxham@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                    > Order of Startup?
                    > Posted by: "James Shaw" jeshaw2@... n8jql
                    > Date: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:11 am ((PDT))
                    >
                    > The way I'm configured both Fldigi and Flrig are connecting to my
                    > FT-874's CAT port via a null-USB modem on Com Port 6. (Eventually,
                    > I'll be having DXLab sharing Port 6 too.)

                    Sadly, trying that I think you'll be entering a world of pain! Though
                    some say they have done it (and I have no doubt that under some
                    circumstances it can work.) In general you cannot share a com port with
                    two applicaions at once. (Flrig for one has a continuious stream of
                    queries and responses flowing between it and the radio.)

                    You'd be better off finding out if DXLab can talk to Fldigi (or Flrig) if
                    presumably it just needs the operating frequency and maybe mode.

                    Throwing two (or more) lots of commands and queries at most rigs, will
                    only lead to trouble at best, and perhaps a radio and/or PC lockup at
                    worst..

                    (Sharing the serial port is not the main problem, it's sharing a simple
                    mided radio that was not designed to support more than one remote control
                    host at a time.)

                    The only rig remote control application I'm aware of that alows multiple
                    programs to use one radio (so long as only one actually CONTROLS it) is
                    the "Omnirig" engine from VE3NEA, but that's a Windows app, and this is a
                    Linux list. In that instance, you'd need to make Flrig/Fldigi talk to
                    that, then DXLab can query Omnirig and find out what the radio was set
                    to. I don't know enough about Hamlib to say if that can do the same.
                    But if it can, then DXLab would need to know how to use Hamlib.

                    The other way, would be if Flrig could create a virtual serial port (or
                    TCP port) for "Other app's" to connect to, purely to query the rig's
                    operating conditions.

                    (It has an exposed TCP port anyway, that is how Fldigi uses it to control
                    the radio. I've not tried, but maybe using one of the TCP<>VSP
                    redirectors might allow such things, but then Flrig needs to simulate the
                    radio, or DXLab needs to know the Flrig TCP communicaiton protocol.)

                    There does seem to be more and more people wanting to do such things.
                    There is a sort of precident, PC-ALE (Sory, a Windows program) has a
                    "radio simulation" virtual serial port facility, for just this sort of
                    thing. Never used it myself, but I hear it works OK, for those who use
                    it. (Not for logging app's however.)

                    I've waffled anough, and my coffee's gone cold.

                    73.

                    Dave G0WBX.