Little help on Debian startup

  • Jeff Kelly
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 29, 2013
      I am running rtl_tcp with a rtl dongle on a Debian ARM with a Pink pogoplug.
      Once I boot up,  I putty in and run the command:
      rtl_tcp -a 192.168.1.60 -g 42.1
      to get things going.

      I would like to have that happen automatically at bootup.

      I have tried many of the suggestions on the web but it never seems to start on it’s own.
      I can type in the script name I created ./mystartup.sh in a terminal and that works.

      Can anyone suggest a simple way to auto execute this command at bootup?

      Thank you,

      Jeff

    • mm0fmf
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 29, 2013
        Jeff Kelly wrote:

        > I am running rtl_tcp with a rtl dongle on a Debian ARM with a Pink pogoplug.
        [snip]

        > Can anyone suggest a simple way to auto execute this command at bootup?

        This webpage seems a nice straightforward description of what to do.

        Once you have the blah script running from the examples, mod the script
        to do what you want.

        Normally problems will be paths, permissions etc.

        Andy
        MM0FMF
      • Ing. Pavel Milanes Costa
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 1, 2013
          Put this line in the file /etc/rc.local just BEFORE the exit statement

          $(which rtl_tcp)  -a 192.168.1.60 -g 42.1 &

          note the last char of the line is a &...

          Save the file and restart, you may need sudo or su  (admin priv) to modify this file...

          73