Tip of the Day: fldigi was not keying the Rig

  • Dick Kriss
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 25, 2013
      I was about to work the 5Z4/LA4GHA on 17 meters and fldigi could not key my TS-590S. This had me scratching my head until I figured out what was happening. The cluster spot for the DX station was

      > 18068.9 5Z4/LA4GHA 25-Mar-2013 2140Z TNX Simplex 5Z <KI7MT>

      The DX station was working Simplex (rather than listening UP like most DX stations), so I had to set my VFO to 18067.9 to compensate for fldigi's 1000 Hz Sweet Spot. It then dawned on me the low end of the 17 Meter band is 18068.00 and the TS-590S prevented me from transmitting out of band at 18067.9.

      I have seen this problem before when DX stations are working on the low end of the band… like 140001. i would rather not do the CB mod to make the TS-590S transmit anywhere. It is only a problem when the DX is working on the very low edge of the band.

      73 Dick AA5VU

      There are no new rules….just old rules we all revisit from time to time.
    • Michael Blake
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 25, 2013
        Switch to USB Dick and set 1 kHz. high.

        73 - Mike - K9JRI

        On Mar 25, 2013, at 7:34 PM, Dick Kriss <aa5vu@...> wrote:

[...]

        <*> Your email settings:
           Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
           (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
           linuxham-digest@yahoogroups.com
           linuxham-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 25, 2013
          On 03/25/2013 06:34 PM, Dick Kriss wrote:
          > I was about to work the 5Z4/LA4GHA on 17 meters and fldigi could not key my TS-590S. This had me scratching my head until I figured out what was happening. The cluster spot for the DX station was
          >
          >> 18068.9 5Z4/LA4GHA 25-Mar-2013 2140Z TNX Simplex 5Z <KI7MT>
          > The DX station was working Simplex (rather than listening UP like most DX stations), so I had to set my VFO to 18067.9 to compensate for fldigi's 1000 Hz Sweet Spot. It then dawned on me the low end of the 17 Meter band is 18068.00 and the TS-590S prevented me from transmitting out of band at 18067.9.
          >
          > I have seen this problem before when DX stations are working on the low end of the band… like 140001. i would rather not do the CB mod to make the TS-590S transmit anywhere. It is only a problem when the DX is working on the very low edge of the band.
          >
          > 73 Dick AA5VU
          >
          > There are no new rules….just old rules we all revisit from time to time.
          Use the transmitter in LSB-data and then your suppressed carrier will in
          be in band.

          Dave
        • Michael Blake

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 26, 2013
              Some issues are not worth fixing. The DX station was operating simplex too close to band edge. I use USB-DATA mode for all digital work and don't care to fool around with LSB-DATA to compensate for a DX station working top close to the band edge.  The purpose of the posting was to explain why the rig was not being keyed by fldigi.

              Dick AA5VU

              On Mar 26, 2013, at 4:41 AM, linuxham@yahoogroups.com wrote:

              Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:37 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

              "w1hkj" w1hkj