Re: [linuxham] Re: Wiki info on compiling for Apple OSX

  • Robert Stiles
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 24, 2013
    Hello Andre,

    I've seen the fax issue, I assuming your are using the embedded wefax GUI? if so, uncheck Embedded Wefax GUI in the configuration->modems->Wefax.  Doing this on my machine fixes the issue.  The only modem switch crash I've seen is when switching between rtty and other modes, but this has since been fixed.

    Here is a link to some instructions on compiling fldigi.

    https://fedorahosted.org/fldigi/wiki/Documentation/HOWTO#Buildingfromsource

    Although I use a different process, using the attached brute force bash script.  In the bash script near the top the expected file hierarchy of source libs etc.

    I use fldigi-dev/ folder on the desktop as the top level directory for the other folders/files.

    The command line parameters instruction may not be up to date, if you have some understand of a bash script you should be able to figure it out.

    The intent of the script is to create 32/64 debug/optimized libs and the ability to link to them by passing a few commands to the script.

    ie
    ./fldigi-make fldigi config make debug n32 app run

    The two bash scripts need to be located in the top level folder (fldigi-dev/)

    This runs  configure, make using debug libs, 32 bit native code, creates the appbundle. and then runs the program located in the src/ folder.

    The fldigi-make-all script should be run first to build all of the support libraries in 32/64/debug/optimized configurations.

    This is only know to work on MacOSX10.8.2/3.

    You will have to modify a header file in /usr/include

    MacOS X 10.7 and newer issues with hamlib. Modify the following file at line 243

    /usr/include/bsm/audit.h
    #ifdef __FLDIGI_MOD__
    typedef struct au_token au_token_t;
    #else
    typedef struct au_token token_t;
    #endif

    Hope this helps...
    Robert

    Message 2 of 18 , Mar 24, 2013
      Do you have this problem only on Apple OSX or on other platforms ? On Linux ot works OK on both configuration.

      Thanks

      Le 24.03.2013 19:03, Robert Stiles a écrit :

      I've seen the fax issue, I assuming your are using the embedded wefax GUI? if so, uncheck Embedded Wefax GUI in the configuration->modems->Wefax.  Doing this on my machine fixes the issue.  The only modem switch crash I've seen is when switching between rtty and other modes, but this has since been fixed.

        Hi All,

      I was mostly successfully, but I did have to also give up on hamlib because of the linking issues due to previously defined functions as others have seen. No loss really as I prefer using RigCAT anyway. The other problems I hit was that there was some instability, the binary sometimes crashing when switching modes, and the Wefax modem not working at all, just sits nothing moves.

    • kawayuppie
      Message 3 of 18 , Mar 25, 2013
        Hi Robert,

        Thank you for the reply,

        --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Robert Stiles <kk5vd@...> wrote:

        > The only modem switch crash I've seen is when switching between rtty and other modes, but this has since been fixed.

        Yes, crash was between rtty and other modes. I will make sure I grab the latest source and see if it is fixed.

        > Although I use a different process, using the attached brute force bash script.  In the bash script near the top the expected file hierarchy of source libs etc.

        Thank you for the scripts.

        > I use fldigi-dev/ folder on the desktop as the top level directory for the other folders/files.
        >
        > The command line parameters instruction may not be up to date, if you have some understand of a bash script you should be able to figure it out.
        >
        > The intent of the script is to create 32/64 debug/optimized libs and the ability to link to them by passing a few commands to the script.

        Nice.

        > ie
        > ./fldigi-make fldigi config make debug n32 app run
        >
        > The two bash scripts need to be located in the top level folder (fldigi-dev/)
        >
        > This runs  configure, make using debug libs, 32 bit native code, creates the appbundle. and then runs the program located in the src/ folder.
        >
        > The fldigi-make-all script should be run first to build all of the support libraries in 32/64/debug/optimized configurations.
        >
        > This is only know to work on MacOSX10.8.2/3.
        >
        > You will have to modify a header file in /usr/include
        >
        > MacOS X 10.7 and newer issues with hamlib. Modify the following file at line 243
        >
        > /usr/include/bsm/audit.h
        > #ifdef __FLDIGI_MOD__
        >
        > typedefstruct au_tokenau_token_t;
        > #else
        > typedefstruct au_tokentoken_t;
        > #endif

        Yes, that is exactly the problem I had, the BSM getting in the way, and yes, that header was only included from 10.8.2 AFAIK. I do hate messing with the system library headers, but sometimes it is much easier then rewriting the whole code!

        > Hope this helps...
        > Robert

        I am sure it will Robert, thank you.

        vy 73

        André, M0JEK
      • Robert Stiles
        Message 4 of 18 , Mar 26, 2013
          AS far as I now just macosx 10.8.. As I recall it worked using the embedded version at first then something change, but I cant say what that state might be. As it stands at least on my machine, embedded fax display does not show any pics.

          --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Remi Chateauneu <rchateauneu@...> wrote:

          > Do you have this problem only on Apple OSX or on other platforms ? On
          > Linux ot works OK on both configuration.
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Le 24.03.2013 19:03, Robert Stiles a écrit :
          > > I've seen the fax issue, I assuming your are using the embedded wefax
          > > GUI? if so, uncheck Embedded Wefax GUI in the
          > > configuration->modems->Wefax. Doing this on my machine fixes the
          > > issue. The only modem switch crash I've seen is when switching
          > > between rtty and other modes, but this has since been fixed.
          > >

          > > Hi All,
          > >
          > > I was mostly successfully, but I did have to also give up on hamlib
          > > because of the linking issues due to previously defined functions as
          > > others have seen. No loss really as I prefer using RigCAT anyway. The
          > > other problems I hit was that there was some instability, the binary
          > > sometimes crashing when switching modes, and the Wefax modem not
          > > working at all, just sits nothing moves.

        • rchateauneu
          Message 5 of 18 , Mar 27, 2013
            Interesting, thanks. It would be interesting to leave this remark in the code. I suspect it is around fl_digi.cxx when it opens/closes wefax windows: The code is really complicated there.