Wiki info on compiling for Apple OSX

  • garylinnrobinson
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 21 9:02 AM
      I was recently given a Mac G5 (older mac) that runs on PPC chip. 10.5.8 OS X version on it.

      I make my own custom fldigi so I want to make a Mac version that will run on most Mac computers.

      I was able, using the WIKI instructions, to compile the 3.21.68 fldigi in my G5 Mac. I was NOT able to statically link the hamlib to it though. I can run it on that system, and I can distribute it by including some of the hamlib compile files but that is not real handy.
      I tried numerous versions of hamlib with no success. They all compile fine but just won't statically link to fldigi with a "make hamlib-static" build. At least not, perhaps, without making a LOT of code changes since I get link time errors indicating duplicate object names.

      The instructions for compiling fldigi OS X seem to be quite outdated (WIKI says it was last updated 3 years ago).

      I also installed a Mac OS X 10.8.2 VM into VMWare and running it also. I really would like to make a universal compilation there.

      Is there any current updated instructions or info available to help facilitate that? Or can the WIKI be updated?

      I may eventually be able to figure it out BUT it's a steep learning curve fighting getting used to Apple AND figuring out how to compile it on OSX hihi :-)

      Any help would be appreciated!

      --Gary WB8ROL
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 21 9:23 AM
        On 03/21/2013 11:02 AM, garylinnrobinson wrote:
        > I was recently given a Mac G5 (older mac) that runs on PPC chip. 10.5.8 OS X version on it.
        >
        > I make my own custom fldigi so I want to make a Mac version that will run on most Mac computers.
        >
        > I was able, using the WIKI instructions, to compile the 3.21.68 fldigi in my G5 Mac. I was NOT able to statically link the hamlib to it though. I can run it on that system, and I can distribute it by including some of the hamlib compile files but that is not real handy.
        > I tried numerous versions of hamlib with no success. They all compile fine but just won't statically link to fldigi with a "make hamlib-static" build. At least not, perhaps, without making a LOT of code changes since I get link time errors indicating duplicate object names.
        >
        > The instructions for compiling fldigi OS X seem to be quite outdated (WIKI says it was last updated 3 years ago).
        >
        > I also installed a Mac OS X 10.8.2 VM into VMWare and running it also. I really would like to make a universal compilation there.
        >
        > Is there any current updated instructions or info available to help facilitate that? Or can the WIKI be updated?
        >
        > I may eventually be able to figure it out BUT it's a steep learning curve fighting getting used to Apple AND figuring out how to compile it on OSX hihi :-)
        >
        > Any help would be appreciated!
        >
        > --Gary WB8ROL
        Hi Gary,

        It's been a while since I've heard from you.

        Congratulations on the Mac gift. Is it a G4 or a G5 ? My PPC machine
        is a G4 mini and runs 10.4.11. Have you tested the distribution dmg for
        fldigi on that machine? I build all of the OS X dmg's on the G4 and
        then test them on an Intel mini running 10.6.8.

        How about that VMWare installation. Do the distribution dmg's run on
        that installation?

        Your build problem is due to the most recent releases of hamlib being
        not compatible with the fldigi static build. The last version that
        would correctly build was 1.2.12. I have back ported some of the 1.2.13
        / 1.2.14 (but not 15) back ends (xcvr interface files) to a special
        hamlib-1.2.12 that is used for the distribution build. I can provide
        that source tree for you via a private exchange.

        The real question is, why bother? flrig / fldigi provides a richer set
        of transceiver controls than can be obtained using hamlib / fldigi. If
        flrig is missing support of a transceiver that is supported in hamlib
        1.2.15 then you're efforts would be most appreciated if you coded and
        tested the new xcvr class for flrig.

        Another OS X developer is creating a set of build instructions for
        10.8.xx. The Wiki will be updated for that revision when he is ready to
        publish the instructions. I'm sure he will answer on this forum.

        73, Dave, W1HKJ
      • Robert Stiles
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 21 10:40 AM
        • 1 Attachment
        • 5 KB
        Gary,

        In fldigi/scripts folder is a script called mkappbundle.sh rename this and copy the attached file to the same location.

        when you configure hamlib you must include --enable-shared.
        then the usual make, make appbundle.

        The script assumes the backend drivers are located one directory below the libhamlib.dylib location.
        ie
        .../libs/libhamlib.dylib
        .../libs/hamlib/*.so

        This would be a good test to see if it works on a PPC system, let me know results please.

        This is a "beta" script please do not to pass it around until it is released via Dave's website.

        Thanks,
        Robert KK5VD

        Message 4 of 18 , Mar 21 6:40 PM
          Hi Dave,
          Well, I have a G5 and it is a BIG and HEAVY thing hihi. Dual video outputs, dual networks. A real gut strainer carrying it in BUT it does work! It runs OS X 10.5.8 - the last update for the PPC I understand.
          I installed 3.21.68 from your DMG on your website. It seems to work very well as far as I can tell BUT my only HF transceiver is the Flex 1500 so can't really run it's PowerSDR control software on anything but Windows. HOWEVER, I do have a FM rig with an easy-digi interface that I use on local emmcom net with FLDigi so I will try it with 3.21.68 on the MAC G5 --- assuming one of my USB to serial adapters will work on the Mac hihi Have not tried that yet, may be another nightmare hi.
          Wow, major brain shutdown here OR I would have thought of FLRig! Thanks for mentioning it. That might work out a lot better. Hamlib has become a real pain in the rear hihi
          Anyway, it is a struggle here with the Mac. Too used to Linux and Windows - so my progress is painfully slow so far.
          Thanks for the FLRig suggestion! I would love to say adios to hamlib. I'll see how I far with it.
          BTW, I also noticed, since my earlier post, that FLTK is giving me a big pain here trying to compile + link with it on the 10.8.2 OS X virtual machine. Seems to be fighting against XCode libraries with similar functions.
          Anyway, looking forward to eventually getting it done on both the virtual machine and the G5. Actually would like to be able to do a universal compile just in the virtual machine.
          Thanks for the help Dave, will check back in the next days or weeks and let you know how FLRig works out AND how OR if my FM rig can work with FLDigi on the Mac G5.

          ---Gary WB8ROL

          > Hi Gary,
          >
          > It's been a while since I've heard from you.
          >
          > Congratulations on the Mac gift. Is it a G4 or a G5 ? My PPC machine
          > is a G4 mini and runs 10.4.11. Have you tested the distribution dmg for
          > fldigi on that machine? I build all of the OS X dmg's on the G4 and
          > then test them on an Intel mini running 10.6.8.
          >
          > How about that VMWare installation. Do the distribution dmg's run on
          > that installation?
          >
          > Your build problem is due to the most recent releases of hamlib being
          > not compatible with the fldigi static build. The last version that
          > would correctly build was 1.2.12. I have back ported some of the 1.2.13
          > / 1.2.14 (but not 15) back ends (xcvr interface files) to a special
          > hamlib-1.2.12 that is used for the distribution build. I can provide
          > that source tree for you via a private exchange.
          >
          > The real question is, why bother? flrig / fldigi provides a richer set
          > of transceiver controls than can be obtained using hamlib / fldigi. If
          > flrig is missing support of a transceiver that is supported in hamlib
          > 1.2.15 then you're efforts would be most appreciated if you coded and
          > tested the new xcvr class for flrig.
          >
          > Another OS X developer is creating a set of build instructions for
          > 10.8.xx. The Wiki will be updated for that revision when he is ready to
          > publish the instructions. I'm sure he will answer on this forum.
          >
          > 73, Dave, W1HKJ

        • garylinnrobinson
          Message 5 of 18 , Mar 21 6:46 PM
            Thanks Robert! I'll give it a whirl. I suspected the old wiki instructions with the make hamlib-static were not applicable.
            Anyway, thanks again and will let you know how it works out.

            ---Gary WB8ROL

            --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Robert Stiles <kk5vd@...> wrote:

            > Gary,
            >
            > In fldigi/scripts folder is a script called mkappbundle.sh rename this and copy the attached file to the same location.
            >
            > when you configure hamlib you must include --enable-shared.
            > then the usual make, make appbundle.
            >
            > The script assumes the backend drivers are located one directory below the libhamlib.dylib location.
            > ie
            > .../libs/libhamlib.dylib
            > .../libs/hamlib/*.so
            >
            > This would be a good test to see if it works on a PPC system, let me know results please.
            >
            > This is a "beta" script please do not to pass it around until it is released via Dave's website.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Robert KK5VD
          • garylinnrobinson
            Message 6 of 18 , Mar 21 6:46 PM
              Thanks Robert! I'll give it a whirl. I suspected the old wiki instructions with the make hamlib-static were not applicable.
              Anyway, thanks again and will let you know how it works out.

              ---Gary WB8ROL

              --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Robert Stiles <kk5vd@...> wrote:

              > Gary,
              >
              > In fldigi/scripts folder is a script called mkappbundle.sh rename this and copy the attached file to the same location.
              >
              > when you configure hamlib you must include --enable-shared.
              > then the usual make, make appbundle.
              >
              > The script assumes the backend drivers are located one directory below the libhamlib.dylib location.
              > ie
              > .../libs/libhamlib.dylib
              > .../libs/hamlib/*.so
              >
              > This would be a good test to see if it works on a PPC system, let me know results please.
              >
              > This is a "beta" script please do not to pass it around until it is released via Dave's website.
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Robert KK5VD
            • garylinnrobinson
              Message 7 of 18 , Mar 21 9:49 PM
                Robert,
                I decided to stay up late and try the Beta script. It definitely loaded the libhamlib.2.dylib file and I see IT and a whole bunch of .so rig files in the contents of the package.
                And installing an app from the DMG file did work - fldigi DID run - however, when I went to the HamLib tab and looked in the drop down box - it was empty, showing NO rigs.
                So, as I said above, I right clicked on the installed fldigi package file and selected "Show Package Contents" and see all the rig .so files and libhamlib.2.dylib under the Frameworks folder.
                But, as mentioned - no rigs display in the hamlib dropdown list. Not exactly sure why that is happening.

                Message 8 of 18 , Mar 22 4:16 AM
                  On 03/21/2013 11:49 PM, garylinnrobinson wrote:
                  > Robert,
                  > I decided to stay up late and try the Beta script. It definitely loaded the libhamlib.2.dylib file and I see IT and a whole bunch of .so rig files in the contents of the package.
                  > And installing an app from the DMG file did work - fldigi DID run - however, when I went to the HamLib tab and looked in the drop down box - it was empty, showing NO rigs.
                  > So, as I said above, I right clicked on the installed fldigi package file and selected "Show Package Contents" and see all the rig .so files and libhamlib.2.dylib under the Frameworks folder.
                  > But, as mentioned - no rigs display in the hamlib dropdown list. Not exactly sure why that is happening.
                  >
                  > ---Gary WB8ROL
                  The distribution dmgs are designed to use the static hamlib functions
                  that are a part of the executable, not the external hamlib shared files.

                  Dave
                • garylinnrobinson
                  Message 9 of 18 , Mar 22 6:40 AM
                    Dave,
                    This morning, I also checked (on the G5) the 3.21.68 dmg again from your download page. It runs well also BUT still NO items in the hamlib drop down list. I had not checked before because I don't have any rig (except the Flex that only runs on windows) that needs a hamlib library rig.
                    Your flrig dmg works fine AND does show all the rigs (because it doesn't depend on hamlib). I also can compile and make an appbundle with no problem. So, at this point I don't see hamlib as being important on the Mac. Maybe not important anywhere since flrig does a lot more. I had never really looked at it much before because my Flex's PowerSDR software already did all the controlling. But for any other rig flrig makes much more sense than hamlib.

                    --Gary WB8ROL

                    > On 03/21/2013 11:49 PM, garylinnrobinson wrote:
                    > > Robert,
                    > > I decided to stay up late and try the Beta script. It definitely loaded the libhamlib.2.dylib file and I see IT and a whole bunch of .so rig files in the contents of the package.
                    > > And installing an app from the DMG file did work - fldigi DID run - however, when I went to the HamLib tab and looked in the drop down box - it was empty, showing NO rigs.
                    > > So, as I said above, I right clicked on the installed fldigi package file and selected "Show Package Contents" and see all the rig .so files and libhamlib.2.dylib under the Frameworks folder.
                    > > But, as mentioned - no rigs display in the hamlib dropdown list. Not exactly sure why that is happening.
                    > >
                    > > ---Gary WB8ROL
                    > The distribution dmgs are designed to use the static hamlib functions
                    > that are a part of the executable, not the external hamlib shared files.
                    >
                    > Dave

                  • Robert Stiles
                    Message 10 of 18 , Mar 22 8:50 AM
                      Gary do you have a direct email account I have two other files to give you...

                      Thanks Robert! I'll give it a whirl. I suspected the old wiki instructions with the make hamlib-static were not applicable.
                      Anyway, thanks again and will let you know how it works out.

                      ---Gary WB8ROL

                      --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Robert Stiles <kk5vd@...> wrote:

                      > Gary,
                      >
                      > In fldigi/scripts folder is a script called mkappbundle.sh rename this and copy the attached file to the same location.
                      >
                      > when you configure hamlib you must include --enable-shared.
                      > then the usual make, make appbundle.
                      >
                      > The script assumes the backend drivers are located one directory below the libhamlib.dylib location.
                      > ie
                      > .../libs/libhamlib.dylib
                      > .../libs/hamlib/*.so
                      >
                      > This would be a good test to see if it works on a PPC system, let me know results please.
                      >
                      > This is a "beta" script please do not to pass it around until it is released via Dave's website.
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      > Robert KK5VD

                    • Robert Stiles
                      Message 11 of 18 , Mar 22 8:54 AM
                        Part of the reason is, he needs two modified files, one from hamlib register.c and a modified fldigi main.c function. But it does work on the machine (Intel/10.8.3 MacOSX)
                        Robert

                        Message 12 of 18 , Mar 22 11:27 AM
                          Yes,
                          direct email to either :
                          grobinson@...
                          or
                          grobin1949@...

                          ---Gary

                          --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Robert Stiles <kk5vd@...> wrote:

                          > Gary do you have a direct email account I have two other files to give you...
                          >

                          > ________________________________

                        • kawayuppie
                          Message 13 of 18 , Mar 24 4:16 AM
                            Hi All,

                            I know I am late on this thread, I have about a month or more ago compiled the current fldigi at the time, release 3.21.68 on Mac OS X 10.8.2. I had to go it alone as there was not much help forth coming for 10.8 at the time, except from the UK high altitude balloon wiki.

                            I was mostly successfully, but I did have to also give up on hamlib because of the linking issues due to previously defined functions as others have seen. No loss really as I prefer using RigCAT anyway. The other problems I hit was that there was some instability, the binary sometimes crashing when switching modes, and the Wefax modem not working at all, just sits nothing moves.

                            So I was wondering if anyone has been more successful now and got a more stable build. I know there is no reason to build on 10.8 as the build on 10.6.8 still works fine, however it will be nice to know we can do clean builds on 10.8 ready for the time when 10.6.8 is EOL :-)

                            I probably can do more investigation, however, I am still a slave wage at the moment and work is taking a lot of my time at the moment.

                            vy 73

                            André, M0JEK

                            --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Robert Stiles <kk5vd@...> wrote:

                            > Part of the reason is, he needs two modified files, one from hamlib register.c and a modified fldigi main.c function. But it does work on the machine (Intel/10.8.3 MacOSX)
                            > Robert
                            >

                            > ________________________________

                          • Robert Stiles
                            Message 14 of 18 , Mar 24 12:03 PM
                            Hello Andre,

                            I've seen the fax issue, I assuming your are using the embedded wefax GUI? if so, uncheck Embedded Wefax GUI in the configuration->modems->Wefax.  Doing this on my machine fixes the issue.  The only modem switch crash I've seen is when switching between rtty and other modes, but this has since been fixed.

                            Here is a link to some instructions on compiling fldigi.

                            https://fedorahosted.org/fldigi/wiki/Documentation/HOWTO#Buildingfromsource

                            Although I use a different process, using the attached brute force bash script.  In the bash script near the top the expected file hierarchy of source libs etc.

                            I use fldigi-dev/ folder on the desktop as the top level directory for the other folders/files.

                            The command line parameters instruction may not be up to date, if you have some understand of a bash script you should be able to figure it out.

                            The intent of the script is to create 32/64 debug/optimized libs and the ability to link to them by passing a few commands to the script.

                            ie
                            ./fldigi-make fldigi config make debug n32 app run

                            The two bash scripts need to be located in the top level folder (fldigi-dev/)

                            This runs  configure, make using debug libs, 32 bit native code, creates the appbundle. and then runs the program located in the src/ folder.

                            The fldigi-make-all script should be run first to build all of the support libraries in 32/64/debug/optimized configurations.

                            This is only know to work on MacOSX10.8.2/3.

                            You will have to modify a header file in /usr/include

                            MacOS X 10.7 and newer issues with hamlib. Modify the following file at line 243

                            /usr/include/bsm/audit.h
                            #ifdef __FLDIGI_MOD__
                            typedef struct au_token au_token_t;
                            #else
                            typedef struct au_token token_t;
                            #endif

                            Hope this helps...
                            Robert

                            I know I am late on this thread, I have about a month or more ago compiled the current fldigi at the time, release 3.21.68 on Mac OS X 10.8.2. I had to go it alone as there was not much help forth coming for 10.8 at the time, except from the UK high altitude balloon wiki.

                            I was mostly successfully, but I did have to also give up on hamlib because of the linking issues due to previously defined functions as others have seen. No loss really as I prefer using RigCAT anyway. The other problems I hit was that there was some instability, the binary sometimes crashing when switching modes, and the Wefax modem not working at all, just sits nothing moves.

                            So I was wondering if anyone has been more successful now and got a more stable build. I know there is no reason to build on 10.8 as the build on 10.6.8 still works fine, however it will be nice to know we can do clean builds on 10.8 ready for the time when 10.6.8 is EOL :-)

                            I probably can do more investigation, however, I am still a slave wage at the moment and work is taking a lot of my time at the moment.

                            vy 73

                            André, M0JEK

                            --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Robert Stiles <kk5vd@...> wrote:

                            > Part of the reason is, he needs two modified files, one from hamlib register.c and a modified fldigi main.c function. But it does work on the machine (Intel/10.8.3 MacOSX)
                            > Robert
                            >

                            > ________________________________

                          • Remi Chateauneu

                              Message 16 of 18 , Mar 25 7:01 AM
                                Hi Robert,

                                Thank you for the reply,

                                --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Robert Stiles <kk5vd@...> wrote:

                                > The only modem switch crash I've seen is when switching between rtty and other modes, but this has since been fixed.

                                Yes, crash was between rtty and other modes. I will make sure I grab the latest source and see if it is fixed.

                                > Although I use a different process, using the attached brute force bash script.  In the bash script near the top the expected file hierarchy of source libs etc.

                                Thank you for the scripts.

                                > I use fldigi-dev/ folder on the desktop as the top level directory for the other folders/files.
                                >
                                > The command line parameters instruction may not be up to date, if you have some understand of a bash script you should be able to figure it out.
                                >
                                > The intent of the script is to create 32/64 debug/optimized libs and the ability to link to them by passing a few commands to the script.

                                Nice.

                                > ie
                                > ./fldigi-make fldigi config make debug n32 app run
                                >
                                > The two bash scripts need to be located in the top level folder (fldigi-dev/)
                                >
                                > This runs  configure, make using debug libs, 32 bit native code, creates the appbundle. and then runs the program located in the src/ folder.
                                >
                                > The fldigi-make-all script should be run first to build all of the support libraries in 32/64/debug/optimized configurations.
                                >
                                > This is only know to work on MacOSX10.8.2/3.
                                >
                                > You will have to modify a header file in /usr/include
                                >
                                > MacOS X 10.7 and newer issues with hamlib. Modify the following file at line 243
                                >
                                > /usr/include/bsm/audit.h
                                > #ifdef __FLDIGI_MOD__
                                >
                                > typedefstruct au_tokenau_token_t;
                                > #else
                                > typedefstruct au_tokentoken_t;
                                > #endif

                                Yes, that is exactly the problem I had, the BSM getting in the way, and yes, that header was only included from 10.8.2 AFAIK. I do hate messing with the system library headers, but sometimes it is much easier then rewriting the whole code!

                                > Hope this helps...
                                > Robert

                                I am sure it will Robert, thank you.

                                vy 73

                                André, M0JEK
                              • Robert Stiles
                                Message 17 of 18 , Mar 26 6:42 PM
                                  AS far as I now just macosx 10.8.. As I recall it worked using the embedded version at first then something change, but I cant say what that state might be. As it stands at least on my machine, embedded fax display does not show any pics.

                                  --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Remi Chateauneu <rchateauneu@...> wrote:

                                  > Do you have this problem only on Apple OSX or on other platforms ? On
                                  > Linux ot works OK on both configuration.
                                  >
                                  > Thanks
                                  >
                                  > Le 24.03.2013 19:03, Robert Stiles a écrit :
                                  > > I've seen the fax issue, I assuming your are using the embedded wefax
                                  > > GUI? if so, uncheck Embedded Wefax GUI in the
                                  > > configuration->modems->Wefax. Doing this on my machine fixes the
                                  > > issue. The only modem switch crash I've seen is when switching
                                  > > between rtty and other modes, but this has since been fixed.
                                  > >

                                  > > Hi All,
                                  > >
                                  > > I was mostly successfully, but I did have to also give up on hamlib
                                  > > because of the linking issues due to previously defined functions as
                                  > > others have seen. No loss really as I prefer using RigCAT anyway. The
                                  > > other problems I hit was that there was some instability, the binary
                                  > > sometimes crashing when switching modes, and the Wefax modem not
                                  > > working at all, just sits nothing moves.

                                • rchateauneu
                                  Message 18 of 18 , Mar 27 9:33 AM
                                    Interesting, thanks. It would be interesting to leave this remark in the code. I suspect it is around fl_digi.cxx when it opens/closes wefax windows: The code is really complicated there.