Re: [linuxham] Problems with flrig if USB->serial port is grabbed by another program such as Modem Manager (Fedora 17)

  • Brian Morrison
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 20, 2013
      On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 08:18:16 -0500
      w1hkj wrote:

      > I'm not sure why starting flrig with a fox (Modem Manager) in the hen
      > house (usb serial devices) should cause this behavior. flrig
      > remembers the serial device assignment and makes a simple call to
      > open the port. In file serial.cxx
      >
      > bool Cserial::OpenPort() {
      >
      > if ((fd = open( device.c_str(), O_RDWR | O_NOCTTY | O_NDELAY ))
      > < 0) return false;
      >
      > None of the ensuing code to set baud rates, etc. is executed unless a
      > valid device assignment is returned by the call. My guess is that
      > the character device driver for your particular usb-serial device is
      > not returning the correct error code when it is being managed by
      > Modem Manager. Or more likely, Modem Manager is mangling the OS usb
      > device manager.

      So is this the same as the port opening code in fldigi? IIRC when
      fldigi fails to initialize the port it turns the text on the button
      red. This is not happening so maybe the process is aborted at an
      earlier stage in fldigi?

      The underlying device driver code is unchanged, except that I've also
      remembered that I have also been using a slighly newer kernel version,
      at least in terms of the distro version numbering. I don't think this
      has made a difference, /dev/ttyUSB0 had got into a broken state before
      the reboot with the newer kernel.

      --

      Brian Morrison