Re: [linuxham] Re: KX3 Rig Control

    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 17, 2013
      On 03/17/2013 02:25 PM, k0guz wrote:
      > Peer review. Isn't it great? Thanks for the input. I have been
      > around the Windows world too long and figure that it never hurts to
      > reboot even if you don't have to.
      >
      > Steve, K0GUZ

      Well your tutorial was well written and easy to follow, but you have to
      remember that on this list we have all levels of Linux knowledge. There
      are many members, including my self, that could have followed your post
      without a problem. But there are others that would have struggled.

      And not to imply that fldigi has been "dumbed down", it hasn't and never
      will be. Dave has just simplified the install process based on feedback
      and ideas from this list. This list is a gold mine of info and not all
      of it pertains to fldigi and associated apps, nor is it strictly for
      Linux users, everyone is welcome as long as we keep it on subject and
      act like we all know we should.

      What I would like to see you do is put it on the fldigi wiki::

      https://fedorahosted.org/fldigi/

      And just to put your mind at ease, I live in NW Georgia in tornando
      alley. In the next week or so, I will shutdown, disconnect everything in
      the station and start over in the morning. So rebooting for me is not a
      no-no as it used to be, I forget the syntax that showed your uptime and
      how proud people were of how long they were online. But when your
      weather radio is going off every 5 minutes or so, uptime is not even an
      option.

      Thanks 73

      Ed W3NR
      list moderator
    • k0guz
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 18, 2013
        OK, here's one for you. When you plug the USB/Serial adapter into the Linux machine it initially appears as ttyUSB0. If, however, you should unplug it or turn your rig off, and then let the computer drop into standby mode, and then later in the day wake up the computer and plug the adapter in again (or turn the rig back on), it shows up as ttyUSB1.

        The only way I can get it to go back to ttyUSB0 is to shut the computer down, wait a few minutes and start it up again.

        Windows has been known to do something similar when it assigns an arbitrary drive letter to a USB drive or thumb disk, and I never figured out how to keep the drive letter consistent.

        Any ideas on the ttyUSB0/1 issue?

        73's de K0GUZ
      • Richard Shaw
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 18, 2013
          On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 8:04 AM, k0guz <k0guz@...> wrote:
          > OK, here's one for you. When you plug the USB/Serial adapter into the Linux machine it initially appears as ttyUSB0. If, however, you should unplug it or turn your rig off, and then let the computer drop into standby mode, and then later in the day wake up the computer and plug the adapter in again (or turn the rig back on), it shows up as ttyUSB1.
          >
          > The only way I can get it to go back to ttyUSB0 is to shut the computer down, wait a few minutes and start it up again.
          >
          > Windows has been known to do something similar when it assigns an arbitrary drive letter to a USB drive or thumb disk, and I never figured out how to keep the drive letter consistent.
          >
          > Any ideas on the ttyUSB0/1 issue?

          I hope there's an easier answer but the only one I know of is to write
          a custom udev rule so it always get's the same device name.

          Perhaps something like this:

          http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7986034/linux-how-to-force-a-usb-device-to-use-the-same-ttyusb-number

          Richard
        • Dave B
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 19, 2013
            On 19 Mar 2013 at 9:52, linuxham@yahoogroups.com wrote:

            > OK, here's one for you. When you plug the USB/Serial adapter into the
            > Linux machine it initially appears as ttyUSB0. If, however, you
            > should unplug it or turn your rig off, and then let the computer drop
            > into standby mode, and then later in the day wake up the computer and
            > plug the adapter in again (or turn the rig back on), it shows up as
            > ttyUSB1.
            >
            > The only way I can get it to go back to ttyUSB0 is to shut the
            > computer down, wait a few minutes and start it up again.
            >
            > Windows has been known to do something similar when it assigns an
            > arbitrary drive letter to a USB drive or thumb disk, and I never
            > figured out how to keep the drive letter consistent.
            >
            > Any ideas on the ttyUSB0/1 issue?
            >
            > 73's de K0GUZ

            I'm guessing there is a solution to this on Linux, though I've not seen
            that behaviour myself on Lubuntu.

            Under Windows (sory.)
            Go read the Fldigi Wiki article re "taming the wild com port!" Under the
            HowTo section. You can nail any USB<>Serial device's feet to the ground
            so they don't move about. Easy to do too no extra software or tools
            needed. Read the WiKi, it (and a lot more help) is all there.

            73.

            Dave G0WBX.