Re: [linuxham] cwdaemon install problem on Mint/Ubuntu

    Message 1 of 33 , Mar 12, 2013
      On 03/12/2013 05:29 AM, David Toombs wrote:
      > Sorry for the delay in getting back.
      >
      > I ran sudo apt-get install libcw3 and that worked, thanks.
      >
      > I now get missing libcw5 error when I try ./con figure
      >
      > I obviously tried sudo apt-get install libcw3 but that didnt work.
      >
      > Any ideas on how I install that?
      >

      > 73's de Dave, G8FXM

      Have you looked here ::

      http://cwdaemon.sourceforge.net/

      Ed W3NR
    • Ernest Wagner
      Message 33 of 33 , Mar 14, 2013

        Dave,

        You stated that you "installed" unixcw-3.2.0.  Was this a build/install from the source?  If not, is there a development package from the distribution that needs to be installed? I'm not familiar with the debian based systems so I can't point it out to you.

        I built/installed both unixcw-3.2.0 and cwdaemon on my x86_64, Fedora 18 system, and it took a little work to discover the problem as I couldn't immediately configure cwdaemon.

        I think that as the name implies, unixcw was designed specifically for a unix/freebsd system and that system architecture is a little different from most Linux systems. Unix/Freebsd  uses /lib or /usr/lib for both 32 bit and 64 bit libraries.  cwdaemon, on an x86_64 system, correctly expects the libs and libcw.pc file to be in a lib64 folder

        You might give building/installing another try keeping the above information in mind when configuring the builds.

        To compile unixcw for an x86_64 system

        ./configure --libpath=/usr/lib64       #installs executable and other files to default prefix (/usr/local) and libs to /usr/lib64 and libcw.pc to /usr/lib/pkgconfig/

        It doesn't matter too much where you install the executable and other files, but on a Linux system, I believe libraries must be in the "known" library paths (/lib, lib64, /usr/lib and /usr/lib64).

        Don't forget to run ldconfig before trying to run the cwdaemon or you will still get the missing libcw.so.5.0.0 error.

        I haven't actually tried to use it as I don't have the correct hardware, but it does start up without any error messagesl.

        73,

        Ernie D in AA1AD in Federal Way WA

        On Tue, 2013-03-12 at 15:20 +0000, David Toombs wrote:

        Strange thing is I've installed the unixcw-3.2.0 lib but still get the missing libcw5 error ?

        73's de Dave, G8FXM

        On 12/03/13 14:26, Brian Morrison wrote:

        On Tue, 12 Mar 2013 13:06:40 +0000
        David Toombs wrote:

        > Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "libcw5"

        Isn't unixcw the package name you need? I believe that the unixcw-3.2.0
        is the latest and provides the libcw5 library.

        --

        Brian Morrison