Fldigi feature request - Macro to set QSO start time

  • Brian Smith
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 8, 2013
      It would be handy to have a macro tag to set the QSO start time to the
      current time, the same as what the "On" button does in the log fields
      section in current versions. That way, if I find myself in a pileup, I
      can automatically keep the start time up to date until I get in without
      having to worry about clicking a separate button to update it.

      Brian Smith WB4ES / avalon73 at caerleon dot us / WWW nexus.caerleon.us
      "Procrastinate now. Don't put it off." -- Ellen DeGeneres
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 8, 2013
        On 03/08/2013 03:21 PM, Brian Smith wrote:
        > It would be handy to have a macro tag to set the QSO start time to the
        > current time, the same as what the "On" button does in the log fields
        > section in current versions. That way, if I find myself in a pileup, I
        > can automatically keep the start time up to date until I get in without
        > having to worry about clicking a separate button to update it.

        You would *never* want to log the start time if you are in a DX piileup.
        How are they supposed to know when you started ? You always log end
        time....always.

        This might be of some help::

        http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp-3.21/ConfigUI-logserver.html

        Ed W3NR

        All but 2 on CW....P5 and BS7H and they were all logged at end time.
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 8, 2013
          On 03/08/2013 02:21 PM, Brian Smith wrote:
          > It would be handy to have a macro tag to set the QSO start time to the
          > current time, the same as what the "On" button does in the log fields
          > section in current versions. That way, if I find myself in a pileup, I
          > can automatically keep the start time up to date until I get in without
          > having to worry about clicking a separate button to update it.

          Hi Brian,

          I'll add this to the feature request list.

          Dave
        • Bill Turner, WB4ALM
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 10, 2013

            Dave, while you are thinking about macro tag's, how about one that would return the "logging database record number"?

            that way I could replace the following macro lines

             [INCR][LOG]
              digital QSO #[CNTR], [ZDT] [CALL] de [MYCALL] sk sk

            with

            [LOG] digital QSO #[DBPTR], [ZDT] [CALL] de [MYCALL] sk sk

            to identify the digital qso number....

            The problem with using the [CNTR] value is that everytime I start fldigi, I have to remember to bounce the counter to a higher value...
            and while I have only made 100 contacts since Jan 2013, eventually it will be neigh onto impossible to reset the value high enough!!

            - - - -

            and while I think about it, I would like to thank you and the rest of the submitters for putting together an excellent product.
             I am a retired programmer/System Designer, but I never learned C, but will probably study the source code of FLDIGI as a starter...
            In the middle 60's I thought of writing programs like this, but (1) didn't know how to start, and (2) couldn't get anybody else interested.  Now 40 years later, almost all hams have a computer in their shack helping them out in one way or another.

            Keep up the good work!

            73's, Bill Turner,  wb4alm
            shack

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 10, 2013
              On 03/10/2013 01:35 PM, Bill Turner, WB4ALM wrote:

[...]

              Hello Bill,

              We date from the same era.  I started programming military hardware in 1965.

              If we have an on air QSO, don't bother telling the QSO #, it just goes into the bit bucket.  I currently have 2,437 digital QSOs in the logbook.  But it is only of passing interest to me.  I'm not fond of being told the current time of day in Lower Podunk, USA either.  But I know a lot of folks think it is an important part of the QSO.  For the most part I would rather hear about your last long walk with your dog, or what movie you saw with your spouse or significant other.

              That said, the answer is yes, the QSO record number can probably be added to the macro tags.  I'll put your request in the ham-do list :-)

              Dave
            • Bill Turner, WB4ALM
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 10, 2013
                On 03/10/2013 02:58 PM, w1hkj wrote:

                Hello Bill,

                We date from the same era.  I started programming military hardware in 1965.

                I started programming DEC 7's, IBM 7090, IBM 1401, IBM 1440, IBM 1620's all at the same time...
                ...along with a few wierd machines that used Mercury filled drums as an acoustical storage media
                If we have an on air QSO, don't bother telling the QSO #, it just goes into the bit bucket.  I currently have 2,437 digital QSOs in the logbook.  But it is only of passing interest to me.  I'm not fond of being told the current time of day in Lower Podunk, USA either.  But I know a lot of folks think it is an important part of the QSO.
                Agreed, local time is only useful to "locals" --- I use Zulu because that is when the call was logged, and a few have included the contact number when QSL'ing. It did make it slightly easier to verify the QSL. - but in reality, the QSO number is just another form of a brag sheet.

                For the most part I would rather hear about your last long walk with your dog, or what movie you saw with your spouse or significant other.

                Boy, we DO date from the same era.  I like to see what the other guy has in his shack, but once I've seen that, it's much more fun to talk about other things.  (Especially since I saw the list in his previous QSO to someone else!)  Recently, I meet a gentleman on te air that lived one-house away from where I lived as a child in 1950.  It kind blew his mind when I asked if the railroad tracks were still near the "water plant".  You see, when I was about 9 or 10, they built a new disposal plant just down the road from where I lived, and while they were testing the plant, I was allowed access to see how it worked!!!  The testing engineers were amazed that a ten-year old could understand what they were talking about - and It was kinda neat to be treated as a "grown up"

                It also blew the mind of the ham I was talking to, while he thought about it for a moment or two!!!  (grin)

                That said, the answer is yes, the QSO record number can probably be added to the macro tags.  I'll put your request in the ham-do list :-)

                Dave

                Digital keyboarding is and should be a lot more than just trading macros!

                and thanks for the feature consideration

                73's Bill Turner, wb4alm

              • Brian Smith
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 12, 2013
                  On Fri, 8 Mar 2013, Ed wrote:

                  > You would *never* want to log the start time if you are in a DX piileup.
                  > How are they supposed to know when you started ? You always log end
                  > time....always.

                  You're missing the point.

                  As short as DX pileup QSOs tend to be, if the start time (which is
                  normally set when the call is filled into Fldigi's log fields, and is
                  usually what is logged for ragchew QSOs) is kept current until I can get
                  to the DX station, it's almost the same as the end time. It's certainly
                  close enough for LOTW, unless someone's clock is off. If I can update
                  that start time automatically whenever I send a call to the DX station, I
                  can consistently use the same logging and QSL procedures for both ragchews
                  and pileups without having to worry about extra steps when the QSO
                  happens.

                  Brian Smith WB4ES / avalon73 at caerleon dot us / WWW nexus.caerleon.us
                  No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the legislature is in
                  session. -- Mark Twain (1866)