Re: [linuxham] cwdaemon install problem on Mint/Ubuntu

  • D.J.J. Ring, Jr.
    Message 1 of 33 , Mar 6, 2013
      I just tried to install under Debian.

      I got this helpful bit of information:

      Package unixcw is not available, but is referred to by another package.
      is only available from another source
      However the following packages replace it:
        libcw3

      E: Package 'unixcw' has no installation candidate
      djringjr@n1ea:~$ sudo apt-get install libcw3
      Reading package lists... Done
      Building dependency tree
      Reading state information... Done
        cw
        cw libcw3

      So you have to install libcw3 and the cw package to make up for what you need.

      I thought it was a bigger program and didn't try to install it myself, but it was easy and fast.

      My problem is that I don't have OSS for sound and in Debian Testing ALSA is broken.

      Package unixcw is not available, but is referred to by another package.
      is only available from another source
      However the following packages replace it:
        libcw3

      E: Package 'unixcw' has no installation candidate
      :~$ sudo apt-get install libcw3
      Reading package lists... Done
      Building dependency tree
      Reading state information... Done

        cw
        cw libcw3

      Then when I run cw the problem starts!

      ~$ cw
      cw: OSS output not available

      So I get the error that OSS isn't working.  There's a command that links OSS to ALSA so you can run oss programs under ALSA, but I forget the command.  You need to prefix the command in a terminal before you run the program.

      Oh, yes, the program's name is alsa-oss. and the command is aoss.

      I have pulseaudio working on my system.

      I'll put in ALSA when it comes back and then the alsa-oss program if I want to play cw.

      So now since ALSA is not available for Debian Testng at the moment, I get

      :~$ aoss cw
      cw: failed to open OSS output with device "/dev/audio"

      Oh, but wait, there's more!

      Even though I get an error message - either by running cw or aoss cw I can type and hear a beautiful tone in pulseaudio.

      Nice.

      Answer?  Wrong program.  Install  cw and libcw3 then to run just enter cw in terminal.  Try it.

      73
      Gopher Hole:  gopher://sdf.org/1/users/djringjr/ (native or with Firefox's Overbite extension) or via http to gopher gateway
      Chat Skype: djringjr MSN: djringjr@... AIM: N1EA icq: 27380609

      =30=

    • Ernest Wagner
      Message 33 of 33 , Mar 14, 2013

        Dave,

        You stated that you "installed" unixcw-3.2.0.  Was this a build/install from the source?  If not, is there a development package from the distribution that needs to be installed? I'm not familiar with the debian based systems so I can't point it out to you.

        I built/installed both unixcw-3.2.0 and cwdaemon on my x86_64, Fedora 18 system, and it took a little work to discover the problem as I couldn't immediately configure cwdaemon.

        I think that as the name implies, unixcw was designed specifically for a unix/freebsd system and that system architecture is a little different from most Linux systems. Unix/Freebsd  uses /lib or /usr/lib for both 32 bit and 64 bit libraries.  cwdaemon, on an x86_64 system, correctly expects the libs and libcw.pc file to be in a lib64 folder

        You might give building/installing another try keeping the above information in mind when configuring the builds.

        To compile unixcw for an x86_64 system

        ./configure --libpath=/usr/lib64       #installs executable and other files to default prefix (/usr/local) and libs to /usr/lib64 and libcw.pc to /usr/lib/pkgconfig/

        It doesn't matter too much where you install the executable and other files, but on a Linux system, I believe libraries must be in the "known" library paths (/lib, lib64, /usr/lib and /usr/lib64).

        Don't forget to run ldconfig before trying to run the cwdaemon or you will still get the missing libcw.so.5.0.0 error.

        I haven't actually tried to use it as I don't have the correct hardware, but it does start up without any error messagesl.

        73,

        Ernie D in AA1AD in Federal Way WA

        On Tue, 2013-03-12 at 15:20 +0000, David Toombs wrote:

        Strange thing is I've installed the unixcw-3.2.0 lib but still get the missing libcw5 error ?

        73's de Dave, G8FXM

        On 12/03/13 14:26, Brian Morrison wrote:

        On Tue, 12 Mar 2013 13:06:40 +0000
        David Toombs wrote:

        > Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "libcw5"

        Isn't unixcw the package name you need? I believe that the unixcw-3.2.0
        is the latest and provides the libcw5 library.

        --

        Brian Morrison