Re: [linuxham] cwdaemon install problem on Mint/Ubuntu

  • D.J.J. Ring, Jr.
    Message 1 of 33 , Mar 6, 2013
      So install unixcw.

      No big deal, just search for the program with google and you'll find the project's home page. cwdaemon and linuxcw are both hosted on http://www.sf.net

      73
      Gopher Hole:  gopher://sdf.org/1/users/djringjr/ (native or with Firefox's Overbite extension) or via http to gopher gateway
      Chat Skype: djringjr MSN: djringjr@... AIM: N1EA icq: 27380609

      =30=

      On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 6:39 AM, David Toombs <g8fxm@...> wrote:

      I'm currently trying to install the latest version of cwdaemon 0.9.7.

      When I run ./configure I see the following error:

      Can't find libcw5 from unixcw package.

      I found via Google that for some reason Ubuntu have removed the unixcw lib from it's distro.

      So I ran:

      git clone git://git.code.sf.net/p/unixcw/code unixcw-code

      to reinstall it, however ./configure still reports, Can't find libcw5 from unixcw package.

      Has anyone managed to install cwdaemon 0.9.7 on a Linux Mint 14 PC.

      I'ts not a big issue as I have cwdaemon 0.9.4 running however due to the lack of libcw5 output to the sound card doesn't work.

      --
      73's de Dave, G8FXM

    • Ernest Wagner
      Message 33 of 33 , Mar 14, 2013

        Dave,

        You stated that you "installed" unixcw-3.2.0.  Was this a build/install from the source?  If not, is there a development package from the distribution that needs to be installed? I'm not familiar with the debian based systems so I can't point it out to you.

        I built/installed both unixcw-3.2.0 and cwdaemon on my x86_64, Fedora 18 system, and it took a little work to discover the problem as I couldn't immediately configure cwdaemon.

        I think that as the name implies, unixcw was designed specifically for a unix/freebsd system and that system architecture is a little different from most Linux systems. Unix/Freebsd  uses /lib or /usr/lib for both 32 bit and 64 bit libraries.  cwdaemon, on an x86_64 system, correctly expects the libs and libcw.pc file to be in a lib64 folder

        You might give building/installing another try keeping the above information in mind when configuring the builds.

        To compile unixcw for an x86_64 system

        ./configure --libpath=/usr/lib64       #installs executable and other files to default prefix (/usr/local) and libs to /usr/lib64 and libcw.pc to /usr/lib/pkgconfig/

        It doesn't matter too much where you install the executable and other files, but on a Linux system, I believe libraries must be in the "known" library paths (/lib, lib64, /usr/lib and /usr/lib64).

        Don't forget to run ldconfig before trying to run the cwdaemon or you will still get the missing libcw.so.5.0.0 error.

        I haven't actually tried to use it as I don't have the correct hardware, but it does start up without any error messagesl.

        73,

        Ernie D in AA1AD in Federal Way WA

        On Tue, 2013-03-12 at 15:20 +0000, David Toombs wrote:

        Strange thing is I've installed the unixcw-3.2.0 lib but still get the missing libcw5 error ?

        73's de Dave, G8FXM

        On 12/03/13 14:26, Brian Morrison wrote:

        On Tue, 12 Mar 2013 13:06:40 +0000
        David Toombs wrote:

        > Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "libcw5"

        Isn't unixcw the package name you need? I believe that the unixcw-3.2.0
        is the latest and provides the libcw5 library.

        --

        Brian Morrison