Problems with Rigblaster

  • wc5b_1
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 3, 2013
      I am having a bit of an issue trying to get my Rigblaster Advantage installed and working correctly. Manufacture claims its been tested and nearly plug and play on Ubuntu and other owners of interface claim this is so.

      The main issues I am having is 1. the drivers do not seem to want to install and 2. the audio options seem to appear, but no audio is coming or going from the device. Manufacture drivers include a batch install.sh file for ubuntu but it appears to fail (asks for a password and then nothing at all happens. When I try to make, this is what I get:

      ==========
      wc5b@wc5b-mint ~/Downloads $ tar -zxvf RIGblasterDrivers-20110524.tar.gz
      cp210x.c
      install.sh
      Makefile
      readme.txt
      wc5b@wc5b-mint ~/Downloads $ gedit readme.txt
      wc5b@wc5b-mint ~/Downloads $ make
      make -C /lib/modules/3.5.0-17-generic/build SUBDIRS=/home/wc5b/Downloads modules
      make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.5.0-17-generic'
      CC [M] /home/wc5b/Downloads/cp210x.o
      /home/wc5b/Downloads/cp210x.c:147:12: error: `usb_serial_probe' undeclared here (not in a function)
      /home/wc5b/Downloads/cp210x.c:148:16: error: `usb_serial_disconnect' undeclared here (not in a function)
      /home/wc5b/Downloads/cp210x.c:165:2: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default]
      /home/wc5b/Downloads/cp210x.c:165:2: warning: (near initialization for `cp210x_device.tiocmget') [enabled by default]
      /home/wc5b/Downloads/cp210x.c:166:2: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default]
      /home/wc5b/Downloads/cp210x.c:166:2: warning: (near initialization for `cp210x_device.tiocmset') [enabled by default]
      /home/wc5b/Downloads/cp210x.c: In function `cp210x_init':
      /home/wc5b/Downloads/cp210x.c:840:2: error: implicit declaration of function `usb_serial_register' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
      /home/wc5b/Downloads/cp210x.c:847:3: error: implicit declaration of function `usb_serial_deregister' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
      /home/wc5b/Downloads/cp210x.c: In function `__check_debug':
      /home/wc5b/Downloads/cp210x.c:870:1: warning: return from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default]
      cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
      make[2]: *** [/home/wc5b/Downloads/cp210x.o] Error 1
      make[1]: *** [_module_/home/wc5b/Downloads] Error 2
      make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.5.0-17-generic'
      make: *** [default] Error 2
      wc5b@wc5b-mint ~/Downloads $

      ========
      Once installed I should be getting a /dev/ttyUSB0 which I can then hypothetically find in a drop down serial tab of my program like fldigi.

      ==========
      Readme file with drivers:

      To use the RIGblaster Advantage's rig control interface, you will need to
      build a custom driver. We have provided a simple script which will
      execute on Ubuntu. Otherwise you can manually invoke the Makefile.

      For Ubuntu:
      1) Double click the install.sh script and run it. You will see some
      files get generated and disappear.
      2) You should now have a /dev/ttyUSB0 device. This will be the serial
      device you'll use with HAM software.

      The audio portion is usable out of the box. No drivers should need to be modified
      or loaded manually.

      For Other Distributions:
      1) Install gcc, make and kernel headers for the currently running kernel.
      Consult your distributions documentation on how to do this.
      2) Open a terminal and change directory to where you extracted the files.
      3) Type the following to build and install the driver:

      $ make
      $ sudo make install

      4) You should now have a /dev/ttyUSB0 device. This will be the serial
      device you'll use with HAM software.

      The audio portion of the device uses the snd_usb_audio driver as provided
      by ALSA. This may need to be installed and loaded before the RIGblaster
      can be used as an audio device.

      ========

      So that is problem one. Problem two is the audio side of it. Manufacture claims that audio should work out of the box Plug and Play. When using fldigi I go to PortAudio Audio settings and the device does very well show up on the drop down. However, it does not appear to be receiving a signal. Nothing on the waterfall at all. (Switching to my desk mic and it picks up the speaker from the radio and the waterfall flows).

      I am running Linux Mint 14. After reading a previous post I will add the following in the hopes that it helps:
      ++++++
      wc5b@wc5b-mint ~ $ find /lib/modules -name cp210x.ko
      /lib/modules/3.5.0-17-generic/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/cp210x.ko

      wc5b@wc5b-mint ~ $ cat /proc/asound/modules
      0 snd_hda_intel
      1 snd_hda_intel
      2 snd_usb_audio

      +++++++

      Any hints on this one too would be a great help. Thank in advance. Getting this to work (even on JT65 pipe dream?) and my D-Star Node adaptor are the only things left for me to completely swap from windows, seeing I have all my games I want running awesome :P HAHA.

      73
      Tom WC5B
    • David
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 3, 2013
        Hi .....I have used a Rigblaster Advantage for a couple of years now
        when i bought it i plugged it into a USB port on the computer and the audio line into the speaker input of the
        Yaesu 857D , the output from the comp was via the multipin plug on the left ov the interface to the mic input
        of the rig and the PTT was set to vox on the righthand TX switch of the interface
        the Comp runs Ubuntu 12.10 but was 11.04 then

        i have never used any special drivers it was all plug and play
        i now use it on a Yaesu 450D with the same setup as i had with the 857D

         i use this setup to work PSK31,RTTY with Fldigi
        and JT65A with JT65-HF software
        im on 20m at the moment working JT65

        if you have any questions just ask away

        73 David VK4BDJ

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 3, 2013
          Hi....i should have added that i use Flrig for my rig control
          as the 450D has a DB9 Cat jack on the back that i use with a
          serial/usb adaptor

          David VK4BDJ

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 3, 2013
            I will see if bypassing like that works. I am guessing it may, but I would love to hear from those that have actually got the device to work as intended. The whole reason I upgraded to it was with an internal sound device, you take a decent amount of noise you have normally from the PC itself. It basically is not using half of what the device is suppose to be used as and is nothing more then a basic interface. Not that it would not at least get me on the air for now until I learn more. I will try and report back, but would still love to hear if anyone has a fix so I can use of its full features.

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 4, 2013
              On 03/03/2013 11:32 PM, wc5b_1 wrote:
              > I am having a bit of an issue trying to get my Rigblaster Advantage
              > installed and working correctly. Manufacture claims its been tested
              > and nearly plug and play on Ubuntu and other owners of interface
              > claim this is so.
              >
              > The main issues I am having is 1. the drivers do not seem to want to
              > install and 2. the audio options seem to appear, but no audio is
              > coming or going from the device. Manufacture drivers include a batch
              > install.sh file for ubuntu but it appears to fail (asks for a
              > password and then nothing at all happens. When I try to make, this is
              > what I get:

              The needed drivers *should* already be in the kernnel.

              Also this from the wiki may be of some help ::

              https://fedorahosted.org/fldigi/wiki/Documentation/HOWTO/Mint_installation

              Make sure you add yourself to the dialout group.

              Pulseaudio is the preferred sound server for fldigi.

              Ed W3NR
            • Tearlach Sinclair
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 4, 2013
                I had  just the same issues with the Rigblaster and got almost the same errors that you have. I resolved the issue by putting the Rigblaster back in the box and setting the box on a shelf in the basement.
                I then got a SignaLink USB and  plugged it in as stated by the manufacturer. It has worked flawlessly since. No special drivers or any bit of fooling about and beating my head against the computer box. Simply plug and play. I reccomend making the same solution.
                Tearlach

                Slàinte mhor a h-uile là a chi 's nach fhaic
              • Sholto Fisher, K7TMG
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 4, 2013
                  Hi Tearlach,

                  I'm sorry to hear you didn't get the Advantage fully working in Ubuntu
                  12.04.

                  Regardless of the version of linux, you can always put the RIGblaster switch
                  in VOX and it will behave in an identical fashion to the Signalink USB. The
                  sound card driver seems to be included in most kernals. I.e. if it works
                  with the Signalink it will also work with the Advantage (in VOX mode).

                  The RIGblaster Advantage has an additional feature in VOX mode which may be
                  interesting to you or others on here -
                  the VOX circuit is logically OR'ed with the CW keying output - the result is
                  it will turn MCW (e.g. from fldigi) into a real key output which can be used
                  to send Morse Code using 'CW mode' on your radio. For full QSK, you can
                  disconnect the RIGblaster mic cable and then use the VOX delay control to
                  adjust break-in time.

                  73

                  Sholto
                  K7TMG