Re: [linuxham] soundmodem

  • jim ki6njf
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 27, 2013
    • 1 Attachment
    • 598 Bytes

    Jerry,

    Have you run soundmodemconfig yet? I believe it needs to be run with root privileges. (I'm not totally sure if this, I just got it running last weekend.)

    I've attached my config file, tho I don't think it will make it through yahoo. The soundmodem.conf file is in the /etc/ax25 directory - at least in Ubuntu.

    73s

    jim

    ki6njf

    feel free to email me directly.

    On Thursday, February 28, 2013 03:31:37 AM you wrote:

    Need advice for a LINUX beginner on how to configure soundmodem. I downloaded the program but it doesn't show up anywhere. If I try to run the executable file /usr/sbin/soundmodem in a terminal I get an error message "configuration not found".

    The computer is an ACER Aspire NetBook and I'm running Linux mint 14. I can run FLDIGI no problem so know sound card is ok. It by the way uses "Pulse Audio"

    Any advice is much appreciated.

    Jerry

  • Marc Coevoet
    Message 2 of 4 , Feb 28, 2013
      On 28-02-13 04:31, w6lqr wrote:
      > Need advice for a LINUX beginner on how to configure soundmodem. I
      > downloaded the program but it doesn't show up anywhere. If I try to run
      > the executable file /usr/sbin/soundmodem in a terminal I get an error
      > message "configuration not found".

      http://www.xastir.org/wiki/HowTo:SoundModem

      from google:

      https://www.google.be/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=configure+soundmodem&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&redir_esc=&ei=JDAvUabjBOjZ0QXIoIHQCA

      Marc

      http://shortwave dot tk
      700+ Radio Stations on SW http://swstations dot tk
      300+ languages on SW http://radiolanguages dot tk
    • David A. Ranch
      Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1 7:38 PM
        You can also see how I set it up here though if you Google "configure
        soundmodem linux", you'll get 100s of hits:

        http://www.trinityos.com/HAM/CentosDigitalModes/hampacketizing-centos.html#8.soundmodem-packet

        > The computer is an ACER Aspire NetBook and I'm running Linux mint 14. I can run FLDIGI no problem so know sound card is ok. It by the way uses "Pulse Audio"

        Soundmodem uses ALSA directly but since you need a dedicated soundcard
        for soundmodem, sharing isn't an issue. If you're NOT using a dedicated
        soundcard, make sure you disable System sounds on your machine or you
        might be broadcasting cute audio clips over the airwaves!

        --David