soundmodem

  • w6lqr
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 27, 2013
      Need advice for a LINUX beginner on how to configure soundmodem. I downloaded the program but it doesn't show up anywhere. If I try to run the executable file /usr/sbin/soundmodem in a terminal I get an error message "configuration not found".

      The computer is an ACER Aspire NetBook and I'm running Linux mint 14. I can run FLDIGI no problem so know sound card is ok. It by the way uses "Pulse Audio"

      Any advice is much appreciated.

      Jerry
    • jim ki6njf
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 27, 2013
      • 1 Attachment
      • 598 Bytes

      Jerry,

      Have you run soundmodemconfig yet? I believe it needs to be run with root privileges. (I'm not totally sure if this, I just got it running last weekend.)

      I've attached my config file, tho I don't think it will make it through yahoo. The soundmodem.conf file is in the /etc/ax25 directory - at least in Ubuntu.

      73s

      jim

      ki6njf

      feel free to email me directly.

      On Thursday, February 28, 2013 03:31:37 AM you wrote:

      Need advice for a LINUX beginner on how to configure soundmodem. I downloaded the program but it doesn't show up anywhere. If I try to run the executable file /usr/sbin/soundmodem in a terminal I get an error message "configuration not found".

      The computer is an ACER Aspire NetBook and I'm running Linux mint 14. I can run FLDIGI no problem so know sound card is ok. It by the way uses "Pulse Audio"

      Any advice is much appreciated.

      Jerry

    • Marc Coevoet
      Message 3 of 4 , Feb 28, 2013
        On 28-02-13 04:31, w6lqr wrote:
        > Need advice for a LINUX beginner on how to configure soundmodem. I
        > downloaded the program but it doesn't show up anywhere. If I try to run
        > the executable file /usr/sbin/soundmodem in a terminal I get an error
        > message "configuration not found".

        http://www.xastir.org/wiki/HowTo:SoundModem

        from google:

        https://www.google.be/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=configure+soundmodem&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&redir_esc=&ei=JDAvUabjBOjZ0QXIoIHQCA

        Marc

        http://shortwave dot tk
        700+ Radio Stations on SW http://swstations dot tk
        300+ languages on SW http://radiolanguages dot tk
      • David A. Ranch
        Message 4 of 4 , Mar 1 7:38 PM
          You can also see how I set it up here though if you Google "configure
          soundmodem linux", you'll get 100s of hits:

          http://www.trinityos.com/HAM/CentosDigitalModes/hampacketizing-centos.html#8.soundmodem-packet

          > The computer is an ACER Aspire NetBook and I'm running Linux mint 14. I can run FLDIGI no problem so know sound card is ok. It by the way uses "Pulse Audio"

          Soundmodem uses ALSA directly but since you need a dedicated soundcard
          for soundmodem, sharing isn't an issue. If you're NOT using a dedicated
          soundcard, make sure you disable System sounds on your machine or you
          might be broadcasting cute audio clips over the airwaves!

          --David