Favorite frequencies for fldigi...

  • William Knoche
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 25, 2013
      Perhaps a silly question...
      I miss having a menu of favorite frequencies.
      Is there any mechanism in fldigi or flrig to simply select a favorite frequency an have the radio tune to that frequency?
      Suggestions?
    • Glaab, Tom

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 25, 2013
          Hi there,

          Simple Fix.

          In the .fldigi folder, there is a file called frequencies2.txt . In GEDIT {an application to modify text files} - one can modify the frequencies in the listing to whatever you wish. {GEDIT makes a backup in case there is a problem and you need to restore the original file also}.

          At least that process worked for me on an Ubuntu 12.04 system.
          Then when FLDIGI starts - you will go to whatever the radio is programmed for at the moment - assuming that the interface is working - or then you can select from the
          Book Icon on the taskbar in the application.

          Hope that helps - Guy Hollander - KI4TLY - 73

          --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "William Knoche" <bill.knoche@...> wrote:

          > Perhaps a silly question...
          > I miss having a menu of favorite frequencies.
          > Is there any mechanism in fldigi or flrig to simply select a favorite frequency an have the radio tune to that frequency?
          > Suggestions?

        • daverickmers
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 26, 2013
            --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "William Knoche" <bill.knoche@...> wrote:

            > Perhaps a silly question...
            > I miss having a menu of favorite frequencies.
            > Is there any mechanism in fldigi or flrig to simply select a favorite frequency an have the radio tune to that frequency?
            > Suggestions?

            I edit frequencies and modes in the "List" on the console (Icon is of a book with a red bookmark, next to the big arrow.) kd6il
          • William Knoche
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 4, 2013
              Thanks for the reply.
              I have been using the Bookmarks as everyone has suggested.
              I was hoping for something a bit more flexible and scalable.
              In particular I was hoping for a hierarchical annotated list.
              Since I started out using HRD I was hoping for a similar feature to what it had.(no more Windows here).
              Perhaps this is a really an RFE.
              I would use a text file if it were easier to cut and past frequencies/modes but I don't see an easy way to do that. But I can use a text file and type in the parameters and I am doing that now. It would be really nice to better intergrate with flrig or fldigi.

              If I were wishing...

              - group similar sets together (such as 2m repeaters, PSK31, Wefax, etc)
              - groups expanded/hidden
              - hierarchical nested groups
              - sort by frequency or mode with in the group
              - free floating favourites window
              - selecting configures frequency, mode, modem, etc
              - ability comment/annotate each entry

              Thanks,

              bill
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 4, 2013
                On 03/04/2013 06:12 PM, William Knoche wrote:
                > Thanks for the reply. I have been using the Bookmarks as everyone has
                > suggested. I was hoping for something a bit more flexible and
                > scalable. In particular I was hoping for a hierarchical annotated
                > list. Since I started out using HRD I was hoping for a similar
                > feature to what it had.(no more Windows here). Perhaps this is a
                > really an RFE. I would use a text file if it were easier to cut and
                > past frequencies/modes but I don't see an easy way to do that. But I
                > can use a text file and type in the parameters and I am doing that
                > now. It would be really nice to better intergrate with flrig or
                > fldigi.

                Shut down fldigi. Open a terminal:: nano /home/your
                username/.fldigi/frequencies2.txt

                Sure would save time and be the correct way to edit the pick list.

                > If I were wishing...
                >
                > - group similar sets together (such as 2m repeaters, PSK31, Wefax,
                > etc) - groups expanded/hidden - hierarchical nested groups - sort by
                > frequency or mode with in the group - free floating favourites
                > window - selecting configures frequency, mode, modem, etc - ability
                > comment/annotate each entry

                You might want to look at some of the available macro tags and using the
                Exec macro.

                Detailed info here ::

                http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp-3.21/index.html

                > Thanks,
                >
                > bill

                Ed W3NR
              • Remi Chateauneu
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 4, 2013
                  Hi All,

                  Yes, these are very good ideas. Pavel also suggested to add comments to
                  frequencies, and indeed it would be very convenient.

                  I added some of these features in my own version (But it can grow):

                  * Possibility to load other frequency files in text format.
                  * Load frequencies from external ADIF files.
                  * Add comments and callsign on the frequency list
                  * New frequency list format compatible with the old one.
                  * Add frequencies from external database: The website
                  http://www.mwlist.org/ is OK to provide list of frequencies.

                  Hierachical nested groups involve more code changes, and also free
                  floating windows (This can be discussed). On the other hand, hiding
                  frequencies based on the modulation type is straightforward.

                  I also added the automatic selection of the current frequency in the
                  list: It's nice to see it jumping from one line to the other when tuning
                  the rig. Very convenient also to know the name of the FM station you are
                  listening to.

                  Can you build fldigi from a GIT branch such as pu/rc ? Unfortunately I
                  have no mean to deliver a fldigi binary. If someone can easily prepare
                  Windows or MacOS binaries given a GIT branch, it would certainly help a lot.

                  Remi