Two TS-590S/fldigi Show Stoppers

  • Dick Kriss
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 22, 2013
      Like I have said before there are no new rules. Just old rules some of us seem revisit from time to time. Today I revisited two old rules that resulted from doing an un-hamlike thing - cleaning the shack. After moving things around, touching and cleaning everything, I could not get fldigi to key the TS-590S in any mode.

      I messed with the TS-590S, the fldigi RigCAT settings and even rebooted Mac OS X 10.8.2. After fooling around way too long, I noticed someone (me) had pushed and locked the Kenwood MC-80 Mic PTT-Lock button. Unlocking the PTT-Lock button cleared the problem. I could then command fldigi to key the rig.

      Old rule #1 revisited: Never leave the PTT-Lock button on the desk mic locked.

      I had another issue when I tried to center a strong PSK-31 signal to the sweet spot on the spectral display using the fldigi "QSY" button. I would push the "QSY" button and fldigi would show the change but the TS-590 frequency display was not responding to the command. I quit fldigi, restarted using an earlier version, re-initialized my RigCAT settings and still had the problem. I finally took a close look at the face of the TS-590 and just happen to notice the small "<B" next to the frequency - saying VFO-B is the active VFO. Pushed the A=B button and it changed to "<A." Bingo, the QSY button started working perfect. Fldigi is designed to work with VFO-A and I don't think Kenwood provides a software call to show the active VFO. The only way you can tell is by seeing the <A or <B next to the frequency display.
      The rig works fine in either VFO but it has to be in VF0-A to be controlled by fldigi.

      Old rule #2 revisited: Never leave the TS-590s with VFO-B as the active VFO.

      I then noticed received signals did not sound normal and this one was easy to fix. Just toggle the ATT (Attenuator) button. All is well now. The last time this happened to me a 2 year old was playing with the TS-590S buttons.

      73 Dick AA5VU
    • ThomasA
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 23, 2013
        --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Dick Kriss <aa5vu@...> wrote:

        > Like I have said before there are no new rules. Just old rules some of us seem revisit from time to time. Today I revisited two old rules that resulted from doing an un-hamlike thing - cleaning the shack. After moving things around, touching and cleaning everything, I could not get fldigi to key the TS-590S in any mode.
        >
        > I messed with the TS-590S, the fldigi RigCAT settings and even rebooted Mac OS X 10.8.2. After fooling around way too long, I noticed someone (me) had pushed and locked the Kenwood MC-80 Mic PTT-Lock button. Unlocking the PTT-Lock button cleared the problem. I could then command fldigi to key the rig.
        >
        > Old rule #1 revisited: Never leave the PTT-Lock button on the desk mic locked.
        >
        > I had another issue when I tried to center a strong PSK-31 signal to the sweet spot on the spectral display using the fldigi "QSY" button. I would push the "QSY" button and fldigi would show the change but the TS-590 frequency display was not responding to the command. I quit fldigi, restarted using an earlier version, re-initialized my RigCAT settings and still had the problem. I finally took a close look at the face of the TS-590 and just happen to notice the small "<B" next to the frequency - saying VFO-B is the active VFO. Pushed the A=B button and it changed to "<A." Bingo, the QSY button started working perfect. Fldigi is designed to work with VFO-A and I don't think Kenwood provides a software call to show the active VFO. The only way you can tell is by seeing the <A or <B next to the frequency display.
        > The rig works fine in either VFO but it has to be in VF0-A to be controlled by fldigi.
        >
        > Old rule #2 revisited: Never leave the TS-590s with VFO-B as the active VFO.
        >
        > I then noticed received signals did not sound normal and this one was easy to fix. Just toggle the ATT (Attenuator) button. All is well now. The last time this happened to me a 2 year old was playing with the TS-590S buttons.
        >
        > 73 Dick AA5VU

        Rule #3, don't clean the shack!!!
      • Dick Kriss
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 23, 2013

          Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:40 am (PST) . Posted by:

          "ThomasA" k8wdx

          Rule #3, don't clean the shack!!!

          QSL