Re: [linuxham] Serial Port Sharing in Linux

  • KD7HGL (Josh Logan)
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 20, 2013

      This is probably a PATH issue.  When you are calling it from your login PATH is set, but in rc.local PATH is usually just /bin and /usr/bin.

      Run:
      $ which rigctld
      Take the output of that and use the full path to the process.

      73, JOSH

      On 2/20/2013 5:45 AM, David Toombs wrote:

      OK, so first of all I created a simple bash script as follows:

      #!/bin/bash
      nohup rigctld -m 129 -r /dev/ttyUSB0 -t 4532 -s 38400
      exit 0

      This works when manually executed after making sure the scripts permissions were set to executable.
      I then created a "Startup Application" entry from the Mint main menu. Supposedly this should ensure that this script runs on startup.

      It didn't, so next thing  I tried was to place the following entry into /etc/rc.local

      nohup rigctld -m 129 -r /dev/ttyUSB0 -t 4532 -s 38400

      Still no joy.

      Anyone know how to make this script execute sucessfully on startup on Linux Mint?

      73's de Dave, G8FXM

      On 20/02/13 12:27, David Toombs wrote:
      Hi Darren,

      rigctld seems to work perfectly, thanks for this.

      To start rigctld for my FT2000 I ran the following in terminal:

      rigctld -m 129 -r /dev/ttyUSB0 -t 4532 -s 38400

      I tested this in fldigi using the info at:

      http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/hamlib/index.php?title=Net_control

      and it works great.

      How would you recommend me automating the rigctld startup command on system boot?

      73's de Dave, G8FXM

      On 20/02/13 11:19, Darren Long wrote:

      Try using hamlib's rigctld and rigctl.

      Darren, G0HWW

      Sent from my iPhone

      On 20 Feb 2013, at 11:11, David Toombs <g8fxm@...>wrote:

      Thanks for this, however I don't this this is exactly what I mean.

      In Windows, I used a VSP Manager utility. This had the ability to create a virtual Serial port and pair it to an actual physical serial port.

      So for example COM1 could be paired to virtual port COM11

      Therefore my logging program could be connected to my RIG via COM1, while another application could also connect to my rig using COM11

      So what I'm looking for is simular Linux functionality to pair physical serial port dev/tty4 to a virtual serial port dev/tty12 for example.

      73's de Dave, G8FXM

      On 20/02/13 10:49, D.J.J. Ring, Jr. wrote:

      daisy chaining serial ports?

      Here is a google search for such:  CLICK.

      David

      =30=

      On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 5:40 AM, David Toombs <g8fxm@...> wrote:

      Does anyone know if it's possible for a Linuxapp to share a tty serial port with another?

      I've done this in Windowsusing VSP Manager so I wondered if theres a similar utility for Linux.

      Googling around I've come across port simulators but thats not the same thing.

      Apologies in advance if this has been asked and answered before?

      --
      73's de Dave, G8FXM

  • David Toombs
    Message 2 of 11 , Feb 21, 2013
      Hi Josh,

      That fixed it, many thanks.
      Running:
      $ which rigctld

      Returned:
      /usr/bin/rigctld

      I just added
      /usr/bin/ infront of rigctld in my script and now it works.

      Thanks again.

      73's de Dave, G8FXM

      On 21/02/13 04:15, KD7HGL (Josh Logan) wrote:
      which rigctld