Serial Port Sharing in Linux

  • David Toombs
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 20, 2013
      Does anyone know if it's possible for a Linux app to share a tty serial port with another?

      I've done this in Windows using VSP Manager so I wondered if theres a similar utility for Linux.

      Googling around I've come across port simulators but thats not the same thing.

      Apologies in advance if this has been asked and answered before?

      --
      73's de Dave, G8FXM
    • D.J.J. Ring, Jr.

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 20, 2013
          Thanks for this, however I don't this this is exactly what I mean.

          In Windows, I used a VSP Manager utility. This had the ability to create a virtual Serial port and pair it to an actual physical serial port.

          So for example COM1 could be paired to virtual port COM11

          Therefore my logging program could be connected to my RIG via COM1, while another application could also connect to my rig using COM11

          So what I'm looking for is simular Linux functionality to pair physical serial port dev/tty4 to a virtual serial port dev/tty12 for example.

          73's de Dave, G8FXM

          On 20/02/13 10:49, D.J.J. Ring, Jr. wrote:

          daisy chaining serial ports?

          Here is a google search for such:  CLICK.

          David

          =30=

          On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 5:40 AM, David Toombs <g8fxm@...> wrote:

          Does anyone know if it's possible for a Linux app to share a tty serial port with another?

          I've done this in Windows using VSP Manager so I wondered if theres a similar utility for Linux.

          Googling around I've come across port simulators but thats not the same thing.

          Apologies in advance if this has been asked and answered before?

          --
          73's de Dave, G8FXM

        • Darren Long

            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 20, 2013
              Hi Darren,

              rigctld seems to work perfectly, thanks for this.

              To start rigctld for my FT2000 I ran the following in terminal:

              rigctld -m 129 -r /dev/ttyUSB0 -t 4532 -s 38400

              I tested this in fldigi using the info at:

              http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/hamlib/index.php?title=Net_control

              and it works great.

              How would you recommend me automating the rigctld startup command on system boot?

              73's de Dave, G8FXM

            Message 6 of 11 , Feb 20, 2013
              OK, so first of all I created a simple bash script as follows:

              #!/bin/bash
              nohup rigctld -m 129 -r /dev/ttyUSB0 -t 4532 -s 38400
              exit 0

              This works when manually executed after making sure the scripts permissions were set to executable.
              I then created a "Startup Application" entry from the Mint main menu. Supposedly this should ensure that this script runs on startup.

              It didn't, so next thing  I tried was to place the following entry into /etc/rc.local

              nohup rigctld -m 129 -r /dev/ttyUSB0 -t 4532 -s 38400

              Still no joy.

              Anyone know how to make this script execute sucessfully on startup on Linux Mint?

              73's de Dave, G8FXM

              On 20/02/13 12:27, David Toombs wrote:
[...]

            • Andy
              Message 7 of 11 , Feb 20, 2013
                Does ttyUSB0 exist when you call the script?
                Is rigctl being called at all?
                Is there an error message?
                Is there anything in a log file somewhere?

                Andy
                MM0FMF
              • David Toombs
                Message 8 of 11 , Feb 20, 2013
                  Hi Andy,
                  • dev/ttyusb0 does exist when the script is being autorun, at least i think it is, Iu have no way to tell.
                  • rigctl doesn't appear to be called when the script is autorun, although I don't really have any way of telling.
                  • No error messages
                  • The only log file I can see is nohup.out, this file is empty.
                  Manually executing this script works perfectly?

                  73's de Dave, G8FXM

                  Message 9 of 11 , Feb 20, 2013
                    I've just discovered that optionally CQRLog can run rigctld when it startupa so enabling that option has resolved my problem.

                    73's de Dave, G8FXM

                    On 20/02/13 14:44, Andy wrote:

                    Does ttyUSB0 exist when you call the script?
                    Is rigctl being called at all?
                    Is there an error message?
                    Is there anything in a log file somewhere?

                    Andy
                    MM0FMF

                  • KD7HGL (Josh Logan)
                    Message 10 of 11 , Feb 20, 2013

                      This is probably a PATH issue.  When you are calling it from your login PATH is set, but in rc.local PATH is usually just /bin and /usr/bin.

                      Run:
                      $ which rigctld
                      Take the output of that and use the full path to the process.

                      73, JOSH

                      Message 11 of 11 , Feb 21, 2013
                        Hi Josh,

                        That fixed it, many thanks.
                        Running:
                        $ which rigctld

                        Returned:
                        /usr/bin/rigctld

                        I just added
                        /usr/bin/ infront of rigctld in my script and now it works.

                        Thanks again.

                        73's de Dave, G8FXM

                        On 21/02/13 04:15, KD7HGL (Josh Logan) wrote:
                        which rigctld