Re: [linuxham] Re: Odd behavior with IC-7200

  • Dave Wright
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 18, 2013
      I wonder if you have insufficient audio drive level coming out of the computer.

      Dave
      K3DCW

      --
      Dave Wright
      K3DCW

      "Real radio bounces off the sky"

      On Monday, February 18, 2013 at 8:42 PM, jhhaynes@... wrote:

      Then I just tested with the Kachina radio and a different computer
      and under Windows, just to make it as confusing as possible. In
      PSK 31 I see a power output variation, but it is much more rapid and
      much shallower than I see with the IC-7200.

    • Brian Morrison
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 19, 2013
        On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 01:42:21 -0000
        jhhaynes@... wrote:

        > Then I just tested with the Kachina radio and a different computer
        > and under Windows, just to make it as confusing as possible. In
        > PSK 31 I see a power output variation, but it is much more rapid and
        > much shallower than I see with the IC-7200.

        That sounds like a 2 tone test with a very small frequency difference
        causing a low beat frequency between the two tones. If each radio is
        trying to transmit its own tone at a different level and with a
        slightly different frequency due to oscillator tolerances then it could
        explain what you're seeing.

        --

        Brian Morrison
      • mike.k0ter
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 19, 2013
          --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, jhhaynes@... wrote:

          > Wonder if anyone else has seen this.
          >
          > I was using fldigi and flrig under Linux. Transmitting PSK31
          > I noticed the power output seemed to be oscillating with a period
          > of about a second between 40 watts and some very low power.

          Are you using the internal sound card or an external
          sound card? If internal and if you built your
          own cable and if you paralleled the right and left
          channel output to the radio, make sure you do not
          have right channel PTT enabled in the rig control
          section. This is a lot of ifs but I did have it
          happen to me. It's easy to see on a monitor scope
          what is going on.

          Probably not a solution but worth a look see.

          73, Mike, K0TER
        • jhaynesatalumni
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 19, 2013
            Further testing seems to show that the power output from the radio
            as indicated by its own indicator is fairly constant, while that
            indicated by flrig is oscillating between the set output level and
            a very low level. It doesn't depend on port audio versus pulse
            audio. It doesn't depend on using flrig for rig control - I tried
            switching to RigCAT, and with flrig running it shows the power
            level oscillation.

            Also tried it with MultiPSK as the digital program, using the PTT
            button on flrig to get it to transmit - same results.

            Switched the baud rate from 19.2K to 9.6K and the oscillation is
            still there but the depth of the oscillation is greatly diminished.
            Changing to 4.8K doesn't appear much different from 9.6K

            Conclusion - there's something funny about the way the radio reports
            power related to the COM port speed. For now, 9600 baud is
            preferable to 19.2K