Re: [linuxham] Odd behavior with IC-7200

    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 18, 2013
      On 02/18/2013 11:06 AM, jhhaynes@... wrote:
      > Wonder if anyone else has seen this.
      >
      > I was using fldigi and flrig under Linux. Transmitting PSK31
      > I noticed the power output seemed to be oscillating with a period
      > of about a second between 40 watts and some very low power.
      >
      > I brought this up on the IC-7200 list, and someone else said he
      > had seen a similar pattern running JT-65. Said that he was
      > running Windows 7 on a 64 bit machine. Said that he unplugged
      > and replugged the USB cable and that stopped it. Also that he
      > updated the Windows driver for the sound chips in the IC-7200
      > and it seemed to be stable after that.
      >
      > At this point it's a matter of collecting observations and trying
      > things.
      Check all of the 7200's audio settings and make sure that all of the
      voice settings are OFF.

      Dave
    • jhaynesatalumni
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 18, 2013

        > Check all of the 7200's audio settings and make sure that all of the
        > voice settings are OFF.

        Well it's a complicated radio, but I think I have everything turned
        off relating to speech.

        I just did a test using various modes - the effect is most pronounced
        in psk31, DomX MFSK thor rtty and throb don't show the variation
        at all. CW and contestia and olivia has small variations but
        nothing like what I see in PSK. CW and Feld Hell show some
        variation. In PSK at speeds other than 31 there is less of the
        effect visible. This is where having sound built into the radio
        is a disadvantage, because the signal doesn't come out anywhere
        that I can look at it. But then having sound built into the radio
        is the reason for the IC-7200.

        I have the input turned down low enough to keep it out of ALC
        in all modes.
      • jhaynesatalumni
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 18, 2013
          Then I just tested with the Kachina radio and a different computer
          and under Windows, just to make it as confusing as possible. In
          PSK 31 I see a power output variation, but it is much more rapid and
          much shallower than I see with the IC-7200.
        • Dave Wright
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 18, 2013
            I wonder if you have insufficient audio drive level coming out of the computer.

            Dave
            K3DCW

            --
            Dave Wright
            K3DCW

            "Real radio bounces off the sky"

            On Monday, February 18, 2013 at 8:42 PM, jhhaynes@... wrote:

            Then I just tested with the Kachina radio and a different computer
            and under Windows, just to make it as confusing as possible. In
            PSK 31 I see a power output variation, but it is much more rapid and
            much shallower than I see with the IC-7200.

          • Brian Morrison
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 19, 2013
              On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 01:42:21 -0000
              jhhaynes@... wrote:

              > Then I just tested with the Kachina radio and a different computer
              > and under Windows, just to make it as confusing as possible. In
              > PSK 31 I see a power output variation, but it is much more rapid and
              > much shallower than I see with the IC-7200.

              That sounds like a 2 tone test with a very small frequency difference
              causing a low beat frequency between the two tones. If each radio is
              trying to transmit its own tone at a different level and with a
              slightly different frequency due to oscillator tolerances then it could
              explain what you're seeing.

              --

              Brian Morrison
            • mike.k0ter
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 19, 2013
                --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, jhhaynes@... wrote:

                > Wonder if anyone else has seen this.
                >
                > I was using fldigi and flrig under Linux. Transmitting PSK31
                > I noticed the power output seemed to be oscillating with a period
                > of about a second between 40 watts and some very low power.

                Are you using the internal sound card or an external
                sound card? If internal and if you built your
                own cable and if you paralleled the right and left
                channel output to the radio, make sure you do not
                have right channel PTT enabled in the rig control
                section. This is a lot of ifs but I did have it
                happen to me. It's easy to see on a monitor scope
                what is going on.

                Probably not a solution but worth a look see.

                73, Mike, K0TER
              • jhaynesatalumni
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 19, 2013
                  Further testing seems to show that the power output from the radio
                  as indicated by its own indicator is fairly constant, while that
                  indicated by flrig is oscillating between the set output level and
                  a very low level. It doesn't depend on port audio versus pulse
                  audio. It doesn't depend on using flrig for rig control - I tried
                  switching to RigCAT, and with flrig running it shows the power
                  level oscillation.

                  Also tried it with MultiPSK as the digital program, using the PTT
                  button on flrig to get it to transmit - same results.

                  Switched the baud rate from 19.2K to 9.6K and the oscillation is
                  still there but the depth of the oscillation is greatly diminished.
                  Changing to 4.8K doesn't appear much different from 9.6K

                  Conclusion - there's something funny about the way the radio reports
                  power related to the COM port speed. For now, 9600 baud is
                  preferable to 19.2K